pump for fat bike tires

qclabrat

looking to get two pumps, not CO2
1- for home use with low psi gauge, big- big volume cause I'm tired of the +100 pumps needed to fill a tire
2- for trail use, the ones for the other bikes are useless, it takes literally 1000 pumps of a mini pump to a fill a tire and not to a suitable psi. Mounting to fork, so frame pump size not an issue, just not going to bungee a home pump to the fork

Supermoto

I use a bontrager flash charger at home. It will pop fat tire beads fairly easily.

One the trail, I use a lezyne High volume pump. Works well for making pressure adjustments, I haven't had to use it to completely inflate a tire. I did have to do that once with a tiny road pump, it was easily a 1/2 hour to complete

giff06

I use a Lenzyne LP/HV pump in my Camelbak for on the trail and the air compressor at home. The Lenzyne has a fold out support to use it on the ground like a floor pump.

qclabrat

I use a Lenzyne LP/HV pump in my Camelbak for on the trail and the air compressor at home. The Lenzyne has a fold out support to use it on the ground like a floor pump.
Ed, this one?
Product-HV-microfldrhvg2-grid.jpg

qclabrat

I use a bontrager flash charger at home. It will pop fat tire beads fairly easily.

One the trail, I use a lezyne High volume pump. Works well for making pressure adjustments, I haven't had to use it to completely inflate a tire. I did have to do that once with a tiny road pump, it was easily a 1/2 hour to complete
the charger design is really interesting, is the charge enough to fill your fat tires in one shot?
Also ever had a blow out from the charge, when using a compressor, the popping beads still make me uneasy

Mumonkan

lezyne has a new one built specifically for high volume tires, i have the HV now that @giff06 is using and it does just fine so i wonder how much better the fat one will be

for home i have a steel floor drive by lezyne which works just fine, because i have an SKS airchecker at home / on rides to check low psi (the gauge on the floor pump doesnt show me anything below 1bar which is like 15psi)

for seating tubeless tires i made an aircan out of a 3L bottle and a couple old valves
inflate to 40psi with floor pump
connect to wheel
open valve
profit

qclabrat

lezyne has a new one built specifically for high volume tires, i have the HV now that @giff06 is using and it does just fine so i wonder how much better the fat one will be

for home i have a steel floor drive by lezyne which works just fine, because i have an SKS airchecker at home / on rides to check low psi (the gauge on the floor pump doesnt show me anything below 1bar which is like 15psi)

for seating tubeless tires i made an aircan out of a 3L bottle and a couple old valves
inflate to 40psi with floor pump
connect to wheel
open valve
profit
need pics of the homemade aircan, is that enough for the fat tires?

Mumonkan

basically this:
P1010132.jpg

(not my pic)

cost basically nothing and gets the job done.

i think only once did i have to double up on a fat tire. at the very least it always seats the tire on the rim so you can finish it off with any pump till you hear the "ping-PING"

did this on a 650b x 32mm "non tubeless" road tires too and worked pefect

Supermoto

the charger design is really interesting, is the charge enough to fill your fat tires in one shot?
Also ever had a blow out from the charge, when using a compressor, the popping beads still make me uneasy

I haven't had any issues with blow outs even with 700c tires.

I was going to go mumonkan's way, but that kinda stuff never goes well for me.

pkovo

I carry a Topeak Mountain Morph on the fatbikes. Its not that smallest or the lightest, but its pretty effective compared to many lower volume frame pumps. And my fatbikes are in the 30lb club anyway.

When I was looking I narrowed it between this and the Lezyne HV micro floor pump. They both had positive reviews. I think the Lezyne was slightly smaller and lighter. Cant remember why I went with Topeak instead

At home, a compressor.

giff06

Yes. But I got the one without the gauge. Make sure you get LP/HV. Low Pressure / High Volume. I'm not sure how you will attach it to a fork leg but mine fits in my Camelbak. It still takes a fair amount of pumping on 5" tires but at least you can get a more comfortable position.
Ed
PS- we run tubes and are not tubeless.

Mic360

Could someone here who has the big bore take a pic of it next to something? I'm trying to see how big this thing is and I can't find any pics on google or any reviews or anything on YouTube.

Top Bottom