Prompton State Park anyone?

RNG1

Bit of a long shot but wondering if anyone will be in this area this coming holiday weekend. I have a place in Lords Valley (Hawley) and it’s about 40 min from there and been wanting to check it out.
I’ve done a search here and only a few older references are made to this place. From what I read on some PA mtb blog it seems like the place to go in that area.
Any interest, contacts or additional knowledge would be great.
Thanks

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I met someone at Moosic last year who said Prompton is a lot of fun. I have been meaning to check it out myself. Maybe this holiday weekend actually. I have a place near Tobyhanna and will be there this weekend but Not sure yet of the exact plans. I may have two other friends with me. Let’s touch base closer to the weekend
-Greg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been but before some new stuff maybe 10 years ago. It was a single loop around resivor with big climb but now I been told lots of fun has been added. My buddy lived in Honesdale. Trailforks seems to cover pretty much what's there.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Lots of fun. Theres a bike shop on main street, they might have a group ride that weekend.
Also got my biggest bruise ever there.

AndyJ

My hometown is about 10 miles from there, and I still have family in that area, so I'll occasionally stop at Prompton during a visit. We used to go swimming there during the summer when I was a kid, but I don't think that's allowed anymore (if I remember correctly, there was a small "beach" near the dam where they'd rope off a small area for swimming). At others have said, it's pretty enjoyable. The trails are rocky, though, so if you like smoother trails, it won't be so much fun. There's a map on the park's web site, but the Friends of Prompton map (also available on Maprika) shows the trails more accurately, but without the topo lines. Last time I was there, I unintentionally landed up on a rogue trail (somewhere shortly after Eagle Pass leaves Sugar Shack), as somebody had actually marked it with blazes on the trees. Pine Creek had been washed out, so I found myself wandering around for a while trying to find the trail. There was also a washout on Orchard Trail south between the boat launch and dam... the trail disappeared, and I spent a while wandering around looking for the continuation, but just kept going around in circles. Since it was getting late and I hadn't brought my light, I eventually landed up retreating to the boat launch and taking the road back to the dam where I had parked. Other than that, it's not too hard to follow the trails.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks all. We had a good ride there yesterday. Did a big loop around the lake with some of the twisties at the southeast end. Lots of fun. Didn’t have time to get to the twisties in the northeast end but we’ll try that next time.

RNG1

Ditto, curious of something for those who know it well, is there a better flow in general to work your way clockwise or counter clockwise around the lake? Thanks

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ditto, curious of something for those who know it well, is there a better flow in general to work your way clockwise or counter clockwise around the lake? Thanks
@RNG1 I believe @onetracker has spent some time riding those trails...he may be able to provide some more intel as well

onetracker

Yup. We have a vacation home out that way. It really does not matter but I think going clockwise is slightly more fun.

Did you ride the stacked loop on top of the lake? Notable trails: Cliff Trail, Sidewinder, Sugar Shack, etc. Really fun place to ride; it is a bit raw and the poison ivy/stinging nettles can be a bit serious depending on the time of year.

Happy to lead a ride the next time you are in the area.

RNG1

Yup. We have a vacation home out that way. It really does not matter but I think going clockwise is slightly more fun.

Did you ride the stacked loop on top of the lake? Notable trails: Cliff Trail, Sidewinder, Sugar Shack, etc. Really fun place to ride; it is a bit raw and the poison ivy/stinging nettles can be a bit serious depending on the time of year.

Happy to lead a ride the next time you are in the area.
Here’s what we did, and yes raw is an accurate description. Would be great to have the company of someone who knows the place as I find it annoying to have to keep stopping to refer to the map although Greg did a great job with that. I would have had to keep digging out my reading glasses etc.
Afterwards my instinct was that clockwise might be better.
CDA40DCD-9554-4E27-8586-435B766327FD.png

onetracker

Looks like a nice loop around the lake! It is possible to ride over the dam from the parking lot closest to Hoansdale and ride the stacked loop or park in the new lot over by the model airplane strip and ride from the other end.

It is raw but well marked; pretty rocky with some over growth. Was it very wet? I have not ridden there yet this season due to all of the rain. Been sticking to Moosic while in that area so far because it drys out quickly.

Sure. We are in Lake Ariel at least one weekend per month. Happy to show you around. But sounds like you had fun exploring.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Looks like a nice loop around the lake! It is possible to ride over the dam from the parking lot closest to Hoansdale and ride the stacked loop or park in the new lot over by the model airplane strip and ride from the other end.

It is raw but well marked; pretty rocky with some over growth. Was it very wet? I have not ridden there yet this season due to all of the rain. Been sticking to Moosic while in that area so far because it drys out quickly.

Sure. We are in Lake Ariel at least one weekend per month. Happy to show you around. But sounds like you had fun exploring.
Would this offer extrnd to me, i go to honesdale a few times a year.

onetracker

Sure. Open to all. Be sure to pack some Tecnu ?. How about we do a NJ/MTBNJ ride or we could do one off rides?

I will be for sure in the area the 1st weekend of June and the second weekend of July. But to be honest, I am taking a break from working so my schedule is pretty flexible.

RNG1

@onetracker there were definitely wet areas and a couple spots that were mucky swampy trails that I was almost sure were drying up streams and not trails. Not too bad overgrowth minus a couple of tall grass areas whipping at your legs which it looked like someone was through recently but if not the trail looked like it would disappear in a few weeks. I’ll check the dates you mentioned maybe we can get a small group together.

RNG1

Sure. Open to all. Be sure to pack some Tecnu ?. How about we do a NJ/MTBNJ ride or we could do one off rides?

I will be for sure in the area the 1st weekend of June and the second weekend of July. But to be honest, I am taking a break from working so my schedule is pretty flexible.

First weekend in June is next weekend which is a possibility for me. Following weekend is Williams Lake race I might do.

Top Bottom