Project manager certification?

Seems like you're positioned well at work. That's awesome! You're obviously doing stuff right, so keep on killing it.

OK, the gang really summed it up well.

I did the PMP, because my large multinational company required it of PMs at the time. PMP required about 8 evenings of hard studying to pass it easily, so its not worth what its printed on, frankly but.... Doing that helped me get ahead of the lazy one's who either took too long to finish it, or didn't bother. Then my large multinational company (LMC we will call it) decided they needed their OWN PM certification, which required PMP as a pre-requisite and then documented many hours of actually doing pm stuff and three interviews you had to fly to somewhere to do, so I did that and was now LMC PM certified (certificate and all)...that got me qualified to get promoted to a Project Executive (essentially a Program Manager) - this was awesome because the bonuses were much better if you had that title (that required the PMP, the LMC PM Cert).....then of course the LMC decided that all Project Executives needed to be certified. Back through the same sort of process but more documentation and more interviews to obtain that LMC Project Executive Certification. To top it all off, they then decided that if you wanted to be a senior LMC Project Executive that you had to get a LMC Project Executive Confirmation. This Confirmation had the pre-requisite of PMP, LMC PM Cert, LMC PE Cert. Whew, makes me tired of just thinking about it.

All that being said:
1. I wouldn't go back and change a thing as all this insanity is going to fund 3 college educations and an early retirement.
2. It was complete and utter bullshit and all of it could easily be completed with a bit of extra work effort, which was probably the point in the first place.

Moral to the story, sometimes you just gotta suck it up to get ahead. You never get ahead by over analyzing what your management wants you to do, and then not doing it because you think you know better.

Ironically, just as I say the PMP has not showed up on an RFP quals list, we just received one on Friday that had PMP listed in the requirements. I will be taking the test in the coming weeks / months.

Ironically, just as I say the PMP has not showed up on an RFP quals list, we just received one on Friday that had PMP listed in the requirements. I will be taking the test in the coming weeks / months.
I’m finishing my classes this week. Its so exciting

I studied CE and now a construction PM. Does anyone have or know of anyone (recent undergrad) with recent study material for the FE exam?

Last edited:
I studied CE and now a construction PM. Does anyone have or know of anyone (recent undergrad) with recent study material for the FE exam?

When I took my PE exam, I took the review class at Rutgers. Very helpful. When I took it, if you didn't pass, they would let you sit in the review class the following sequence.

https://rate.rutgers.edu/engineering-fe-pe-review

I believe they used this book:
https://ppi2pass.com/fe-civil-review-manual-fecer1-package.html

Yea. Its been too long. I need to find a class.

Hudson yards is cool but it isn’t doing anything for the society. A gated community for the richest. Although I wouldn’t mind a nice cushy job at Related. Hoping Gary knows an in.

Yea. Its been too long. I need to find a class.

Hudson yards is cool but it isn’t doing anything for the society. A gated community for the richest. Although I wouldn’t mind a nice cushy job at Related. Hoping Gary knows an in.

My wife has been with Jacobs for 25 years at the end of the month. She had this mental thing about a year or two ago that she had to reach 25 years before looking for something better. She's very ready to move on. Despite buying up other companies like candy, they have begun outsourcing everything. First it was the people in charge of contracts, then accounting now HR is being sent overseas too. Makes it impossible to get anything done in a timely matter. She's done some work on the Columbia project for Jacobs a while ago, but didn't like the commute.

Oh thats interesting. Guess you can outsource anyone except the personnel that needs to be physically present (engineers, architects, pms). We do hire some Jacobs consultants too and Jacobs just gobbled my first employer, CH2M Hill.

My wife has been with Jacobs for 25 years at the end of the month. She had this mental thing about a year or two ago that she had to reach 25 years before looking for something better. She's very ready to move on. Despite buying up other companies like candy, they have begun outsourcing everything. First it was the people in charge of contracts, then accounting now HR is being sent overseas too. Makes it impossible to get anything done in a timely matter. She's done some work on the Columbia project for Jacobs a while ago, but didn't like the commute.
Where does she work out of ? My sister has been there 15 years or so. She was in Morris town but they just moved.

Back
Top Bottom