Problems with paddle on X9 shifter

Pampa

The paddle to shift down (to bigger cogs) on my SRAM X9 9-speed shifter doesn't come back after pressing it. I can bring it back to the "resting" position by pushing it with my thumb though. I put some Boshield oil but it's still doing the same. Any thoughts on what might be happening? I'm wary about opening it up but will give it a try if I get some ideas/direction.

Thanks!

The paddle to shift down (to bigger cogs) on my SRAM X9 9-speed shifter doesn't come back after pressing it. I can bring it back to the "resting" position by pushing it with my thumb though. I put some Boshield oil but it's still doing the same. Any thoughts on what might be happening? I'm wary about opening it up but will give it a try if I get some ideas/direction.

Thanks!

Your bottom lever is bent up and is catching on the upper lever. Look at it closely as it moves through the lever throw.

Have your local shop call SRAM.

If you were near me I would do it for you.

J-

Did you check cable tension?

I don't think it's the tension. I dialed that pretty good and the bike shifts like butter when I press the levers. Also, when I push the lever back with my thumb it immediately springs back to the correct position.

Your bottom lever is bent up and is catching on the upper lever. Look at it closely as it moves through the lever throw.

Have your local shop call SRAM.

If you were near me I would do it for you.

J-

Thank you J! I'll look at it when I get home but it seems possible that's happening since once I give it a push with my thumb it springs back to its normal position. I'll take it to the bike shop then.

I just started having the same problem this weekend. I just looked at it and its not hitting the upper lever. I havent had time to really look at much else yet. It just feels like its not spring back into place. Since the cable went through its entire motion, I have to think its something with the shifter housing.

I've taken an old (90's) half-working XT front shifter apart before. It ain't pretty once you commit. There's lots of tiny springs, bolts, washers, lock nuts etc... I did manage to get it working again, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it .. it was a bunch of luck. It could have easily turned out to be worse that I started it with.

If you for some reason decide to take it apart, you'll need lots of patience, small fingers, and a magnifying glass ;) Putting it back together is the hardest part, depending on how many parts you took off.

As jDog said, if you still have the option of taking it to SRAM via a bike shop, that is really the best option as you may even end up with a new shifter, even an upgrade.

So, I just looked carefully and didn't observe any rubbing between the levers. I also didn't see any scratches anything that would indicate that the shifter took a hit.

I'll take it to the bike shop this Thu, hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

" If you for some reason decide to take it apart, you'll need lots of patience, small fingers, and a magnifying glass Putting it back together is the hardest part, depending on how many parts you took off. "

That's exactly everything I DON'T have :D I've seen a mechanic at the shop working on one of these on my other bike and even he was struggling to put everything back together.

I've had this happen because my shift paddle thing was bent up and contacting the other paddle. I grabbed some pliers and pulled it back down a little bit. It looks a little crappy, but it works just fine.

I've had this happen because my shift paddle thing was bent up and contacting the other paddle. I grabbed some pliers and pulled it back down a little bit. It looks a little crappy, but it works just fine.

Me too, but it was a bunch of guys standing around my bike at Allamuchy trying to get the damn thing to work again. I said I'd replace it in the spring, which of course I didn't. One day the damn thing will break off and I'll curse myself for letting it go too long.

Me too, but it was a bunch of guys standing around my bike at Allamuchy trying to get the damn thing to work again. I said I'd replace it in the spring, which of course I didn't. One day the damn thing will break off and I'll curse myself for letting it go too long.

You have OCD and you haven't fixed this yet :p

Thanks!

My Hi-Fi develpoed the same problem without ever hitting the trail, bike was new and Trek sent a new one under warranty and knows of the problem. it must be the latest batch because they have a date stamped on the case and the replacement was an earlier date.

My Hi-Fi develpoed the same problem without ever hitting the trail, bike was new and Trek sent a new one under warranty and knows of the problem. it must be the latest batch because they have a date stamped on the case and the replacement was an earlier date.

Good to know. Yesterday I didn't make it to the shop in time but I'll take it in today. Thanks for the tip Willy.

Yeah, if you are changing the cable make sure you take off the TOP bolt to take off the shifter housing to get at the cable.

I have taken it all apart before and have gotten it back together but you need 8 hour day and have your emotions in check like a navy seal. Its torture...

Problem solved

I took it to Marty's and TC took care of that. He adjusted some setting inside the shifter. Now it's shifting perfectly on all gears.

Back
Top Bottom