Prevent handlebars from hitting top tube on Gravel Bike?

iman29

So for some reason after all these years of riding road, gravel and a bit of MTB, it only occurred to me with my new to me Trek checkpoint SL7 the higher possibility of the handlebars whipping around and smashing into the top tube.

I have had some hard crashes on my 8 year old carbon road bike, my previous Checkpoint ALR5 and of course my MTB but never had this happen. But i guess since this SL7 is my newest to the fleet I am maybe being more sensitive.

I did some google research and read a little about the Trek specific "Knock block" stuff for MTB but didnt find a lot for Gravel bikes or any other type of aftermarket things. While not crashing is one good idea which I try to ensure all the time, Im always thinking about the what if/ one time scenario. adding anything on the top tube as protection like some bar tape would look silly, but the expense of replacing the frame would be much worse than a hit to my ego.

So wondering the thoughts from the bike shop pros and more DIY technical experts here for some education. Thanks.

These are used on keirin track bikes as crashing seems to be the norm in the sport. Not sure if it fits but probably something you can diy, thou you'll be hard pressed to make it remotely pretty.

Tell tale sign your bars are too high.

Hmm.

Been riding the road bike this way since 2016? I can and have ridden this bike many long distance rides without any comfort issues.

Not sure how I would ride lower on the old Domane without being uncomfortable. I’m 6’2” with gorilla arm reach

Gravel bike I have the setup a little higher for comfort maybe but not sure it’s easy to see in the pic.

Road bike and gravel bike pics for reference.

IMG_6035.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

Hmm.

Been riding the road bike this way since 2016? I can and have ridden this bike many long distance rides without any comfort issues.

Not sure how I would ride lower on the old Domane without being uncomfortable. I’m 6’2” with gorilla arm reach

Gravel bike I have the setup a little higher for comfort maybe but not sure it’s easy to see in the pic.

View attachment 236262
View attachment 236263
View attachment 236264

Comfort is irrelevant, drop bars until they no longer hit and adjust yourself 🤣

Hmm.

View attachment 236262
View attachment 236263
View attachment 236264
Your bars on the gravel looks lower than your road bike

Back
Top Bottom