Portland, Maine - XC or road spots?

DownhillR3

Hey all,

Planning on spending a few weekends in Portland, Maine this summer. Anyone know cool places to ride mountain bikes or road bike clubs near the area?

Thanks!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Portland has some great mountain bike options, it all depends on how long you have and if you have a car. Baxter Woods/Evergreen Cemetery are pretty good, and accessible from town. I would ride there from the waterfront, then cruise out to Portland Head light for some sightseeing. Nothing "epic" but there are some fun trails and it can fill a solid few hours. If you can display trailforks on your device its a huge help navigating around. You can connect Baxter, Evergreen, Fore River and Presumscott pretty easily if you are good with trailforks and ok with riding some city streets.

With a car Bradbury Mtn and Blackstrap are both fun. Again trailforks and/or the Southern Maine NEMBA page are huge helps in finding your way.

You are also pretty close to Conway, NH where a ton of trails have been built in the last few years. Really, really good trails.

rick81721

Lothar
I used to go there for work. If you want to do a road ride, head west to the White mountain national forest. I parked in Lincoln NH - Kankamangus highway is a spectacular ride, climb to the top of the pass for a great view. There's another shorter but steeper climb on the west side of Lincoln - Lost River road to Lost River Gorge.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a good friend who lives in cumberland. He can show you the goods I think. Send me a PM and ill give you his contact.

On my last visit we rode the trails around Bath and Camden. Both were excelent.

The trail fork app is your friend. I use it whenever I travel .

j

DownhillR3

Portland has some great mountain bike options, it all depends on how long you have and if you have a car. Baxter Woods/Evergreen Cemetery are pretty good, and accessible from town. I would ride there from the waterfront, then cruise out to Portland Head light for some sightseeing. Nothing "epic" but there are some fun trails and it can fill a solid few hours. If you can display trailforks on your device its a huge help navigating around. You can connect Baxter, Evergreen, Fore River and Presumscott pretty easily if you are good with trailforks and ok with riding some city streets.

With a car Bradbury Mtn and Blackstrap are both fun. Again trailforks and/or the Southern Maine NEMBA page are huge helps in finding your way.

You are also pretty close to Conway, NH where a ton of trails have been built in the last few years. Really, really good trails.

Thanks for all the responses.

@KenS I'm going to look into Baxter Woods/Evergreen. Does it have legit woods MTB trails? I will be staying by the Eastern Promenade in Portland so fairly close to the area.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for all the responses.

@KenS I'm going to look into Baxter Woods/Evergreen. Does it have legit woods MTB trails? I will be staying by the Eastern Promenade in Portland so fairly close to the area.

Yep, legit trails.
Baxter:
IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Evergreen Cemetery:
IMG_1357.JPG

Presumscot River:
IMG_1379.JPG

DownhillR3

Highland...

Or attitash if you wanna shit your pants

Thanks, I am a downhiller but looking to sneak out for bike riding in the AM's while the girlfriend is still sleeping every morning without having to travel to ride more than 15-30min. from Portland area.

@KenS bingo! Thanks for the photos, yes exactly what I want! Thank you kind sir for the added information! Will be researching them now. Looks like i'll be riding Baxter, Evergreen Cemetery area for sure. Where is the Presumpscot River location in regards to Evergreen Cemetery and Baxter woods? I don't see on Google Maps. Thanks

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Thanks, I am a downhiller but looking to sneak out for bike riding in the AM's while the girlfriend is still sleeping every morning without having to travel to ride more than 15-30min. from Portland area.

@KenSWhere is the Presumpscot River location in regards to Evergreen Cemetery and Baxter woods? I don't see on Google Maps. Thanks

Use trailforks. Its north of Evergreen and really nice/scenic.

Screenshot_20180517-114831_Trailforks.jpg

Top Bottom