Please read: it is NOT ok

2WHLZ

The major problem that I see with the "trail closed" signs is that someone (park staff) needs to be in charge of keeping it up to date and enforcing it once they do.

What if Jorba made up some mountain bike "guidelines" pamphlets to explaining the best practices and a few links to group pages such as this where they can join the community? With the parks permission those could be placed on the park boards near the trails and also local bike shops.

huffster

The major problem that I see with the "trail closed" signs is that someone (park staff) needs to be in charge of keeping it up to date and enforcing it once they do.

What if Jorba made up some mountain bike "guidelines" pamphlets to explaining the best practices and a few links to group pages such as this where they can join the community? With the parks permission those could be placed on the park boards near the trails and also local bike shops.
There is something similar at Fountainhead in VA. I could be wrong but I think the mountain bike "community" opens and closes the gate. It gets opened and close year round and I don't think the park is staffed year round. Not sure if the parks would be willing to let a JORBA member or some designated trail ambassador, have that authority or not, but it could work.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
When I see someone post "I am willing to volunteer my time to check trail conditions every day at 6 mile run, flip the sign to closed when needed, and recruit/train folks to do the same when I can't be there" I will re-visit the sign idea with our chapter folks at 6mr.

- They

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
When I see someone post "I am willing to volunteer my time to check trail conditions every day at 6 mile run, flip the sign to closed when needed, and recruit/train folks to do the same when I can't be there" I will re-visit the sign idea with our chapter folks at 6mr.

- They
Kudos!

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains

I can certainly check most days

GHM73

I can certainly check most days as well, and I pretty much already do. There are certain parts of the park that are strong indicators for overall conditions and are also easily accessible (such as White trail - if that's wet/muddy, the whole park will be). With the concerted efforts of a few people, I think it's easily manageable. Add me to the list of volunteers.

I still don't think a "closed" barrier/sign is the ultimate answer. Sure it may help, but education, signage at local bike shops and around the park would help more IMO. Either way, it's worth a shot.

Molasses

Here is the thing Facebook is working for Nox! The trail has been closed for days (I have been working in PA and have been checking) and it has deterred everyone I know and and have been going elsewhere. Would never ever think Facebook would work but it did for the group of guys I know. Also I think someone does in fact flip a trail claim see sign at the trailhead. Just some other info...

Ian F

Working for Nox most of the time... a friend apparently went over the weekend as it was posted open and said conditions were a mess. If they were anything like the Glen Park Enduro, I believe it...

Mr_T

1) Education
2) Notification
3) Enforcement

All 3 will need to be visible to get traction on this issue.

The Park needs fixed, permanent, signage which both educates and notifies the ridership of what riding in the mud does to what many enjoy; and to what others have spent their free time doing to keep the trails in riding shape.

Self enforcement is key, those who ride frequently may need to be trail stewards of sorts. Random spot checks of trails and lots for people eating mud after their rides. Threads through various social media sites where one can post "Wanted" like pics of people violating the rules may also help.

Those who violate by "accident" may not if told once or twice. Those who don't give a $hit may start to if their pics and names are available for all those to see. Lastly, if the park can close the trails with signage, perhaps fines can also be handed out if one is caught riding when not permitted. This problem is no different to people hunting or fishing on posted grounds, enforcement is critical.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This reminds me - someone should contact singletracks website about their lead pic for the #1 rated park in the state - six mile run. Showing a pic of a bike caked with mud is ridiculous
That pic is just proof that Singletracks has

https://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/best_trails.php?new_state_id=411
That pic is just proof that Singletracks has no clue about mtbing and when they say 6 Mile is better then Mooch and Ringwood they completely loose all credibility.

rick81721

Lothar
That pic is just proof that Singletracks has no clue about mtbing and when they say 6 Mile is better then Mooch and Ringwood they completely loose all credibility.

Yeah very inconsistent. They rate the sourlands as 9th most tech trails in US but they are like 60th in NJ?? Does not compute Jim.

rick81721

Lothar
Good news: quick response from singletracks. Bad news: pics are chosen by algorithm based on likes by users - see response. If anyone here is a member, rank other pics for 6mr.

Hi Rick81721,

The featured photo for each trail page is automatically chosen based on an algorithm that factors in all star rankings given to photos by Singletracks members. So, if you think a different photo should be featured for a specific trail, please be sure to give rankings to the photos in the trail’s photo gallery: low rankings for poor photos, high rankings for great photos.

And even better: be sure to upload some of your own high quality photos to the trail’s photo gallery.

Hope this helps!

-Greg Heil
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions