PLEASE HELP:

Here's a possible solution. DON"T ACTUALLY TRY THIS!!
F5SCDB5HF23XC3A.MEDIUM.jpg

I know the rant du jour is Strava users but these are being made by hikers. All those twists & turns are not as appealing on foot.

Much agreement ... Saturday afternoon there was very busy and I saw at least 3 groups of hikers cutting straight offtrail overland in several spots to avoid meandering. I guess no one actually wants to enjoy the trail ...

I'm not making this up: The park reps think fatbikes are a big problem as they have seen big groups of fat bike on wet days. They are under the impression that the trails are heavily eroded from fat bikes.

In reality, the ground really never froze this winter. That is why it got so gutted.

If I'm not mistaken fatbikes are the root of all evil. Ban them before we all die.

26ers are the only trail friendly option. I will personally collect your fattie, 29er or 27.5 for disposal.

PM me for details.

Why would the park legally be allowed to ban a user group, but not ban all from using the trails when they are soft?

Reactions: rlb
I'm not making this up: The park reps think fatbikes are a big problem as they have seen big groups of fat bike on wet days. They are under the impression that the trails are heavily eroded from fat bikes.

In reality, the ground really never froze this winter. That is why it got so gutted.

There are people who have ridden dirt bikes at six mile. I've heard them, and I have seen their tracks. They need to be arrested, and...and .... I will not complete this sentence.

Why would the park legally be allowed to ban a user group, but not ban all from using the trails when they are soft?

Perception is reality. 2 counties in NJ still think mountain bikes can't get along with other user groups and are red bull rampage fueled hellions, coming to a park near you soon. MTB has been banned in them for 20 years. If those of you who ride 6mr regularly, and appreciate the amazing level of trails J and crew have built there, do not see this as a serious call for self-policing, you really should. We need a new level of advocacy. We need every single person who reads this call for help to tell every single person they see in the parking lots/trailheads, every single person they know who rides, and every single person they encounter on the trail to be aware of the issues we are facing. It is that serious. Advocates for YOUR trails (in this case Jason) have worked for YEARS to establish a partnership with land managers, but they are simply volunteers and that partnership lives and thrives on the perception we create, which is reality for a majority of riders. One solid year of negativity and perceived waste of our states limited natural resources can, and will, negate all of those years of hard work.

Fact: a vast majority of you reading this thread are not the problem at 6mr, or at other parks where user conflicts exist.

Fact: every single one of you has the ability to positively influence other trail users, or to represent all of us negatively.

Fact-ish: NJ has roughly 8.9m residents. NBDA says approx. 42% of US resident are frequent cyclists, and about 26% of nationwide bicycle sales are mountain bikes. Even a modest, low-ball interpretation of those numbers tells me that NJ has well into the six figure range of people who ride on trails at least occasionally. Lets just assume that my numbers are completely off, and we have 10% of what I calculated. So call it 10,000 people who ride a bike on dirt in NJ annually. Hell, lets split that in half again. 5,000?

Fact-ilicious: Less than 1% of NJ cyclists who ride on dirt actively advocate to land managers for our cause, and less than 10% of them (us) join JORBA. I bet the numbers are more like <.01% and <1%.

Fact: if you join JORBA, an albino wookie sends you a personalized letter and some kind of schwag, and it gives Jason more power to fuel his relentless rut smashing and dirt surfing.

Hey @KenS is there any way to get a stack of pamphlets for Jorba? Do they still do them? I used to hand them out to people all the time...I'm not above proselytizing to the masses.

Hey @KenS is there any way to get a stack of pamphlets for Jorba? Do they still do them? I used to hand them out to people all the time...I'm not above proselytizing to the masses.

We have pamphlets but they are a bit old/out of date. The current hotness is JORBA cards, which have everything you need to know on them. Email me: ken@jorba.org, and I will coordinate a drop-off of a stack or three. @Frank should also have a bunch if you see him up that way.

Speaking of which, if we have enough interest in an army of ambassadors, I will do a new run of them and give out metric shittons.

Sign me up.

Should send 5 cards with each membership/renewal. Betchya everyone can easily hand out 5 cards each year. Definitely need them for trail maintenance too.... always people asking who we are.

Sign me up.

Should send 5 cards with each membership/renewal. Betchya everyone can easily hand out 5 cards each year. Definitely need them for trail maintenance too.... always people asking who we are.

This is a really great idea. Did I also hear you volunteering for JORBA's Development Committee? :D

We have pamphlets but they are a bit old/out of date. The current hotness is JORBA cards, which have everything you need to know on them. Email me: ken@jorba.org, and I will coordinate a drop-off of a stack or three. @Frank should also have a bunch if you see him up that way.

Speaking of which, if we have enough interest in an army of ambassadors, I will do a new run of them and give out metric shittons.

Ken I'll take some cards too. I've given people those green velcro strips so they could look us up. Something with more info would be more betterer

Are there QR codes on the pamphlet/card/signs? do we have a qr code that we could carry on our phone, or a decal?

perhaps temporary codes that could be hung at rogue trail locations - placed on the trail signage?

i'm not big on paper, it will just end up on the trail. unless you want to go gorilla and put something on the cars in the lot
with bike racks. then tag everything in sight with soy ink! (ok, jk here)

Are there QR codes on the pamphlet/card/signs? do we have a qr code that we could carry on our phone, or a decal?

perhaps temporary codes that could be hung at rogue trail locations - placed on the trail signage?

i'm not big on paper, it will just end up on the trail. unless you want to go gorilla and put something on the cars in the lot
with bike racks. then tag everything in sight with soy ink! (ok, jk here)

Like most of this.... But ixnay on the gorilla tactics.... Mostly because "I" park at SixMile when I road ride during bad conditions.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions