PLEASE HELP:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a simple request and I hope I can get some help here

The park officials are not happy with all the shortcuts that are popping up. It is unsightly and it creates confusion for all

If you see a shortcut, please ask that you take a second and cover it up with deadfall. Make it obvious that this is not ok.

The park is under more scrutiny than it might appear and we need to clean up out act.

Closing down shortcuts is not the best use of my time.

Please help

J

I know the rant du jour is Strava users but these are being made by hikers. All those twists & turns are not as appealing on foot.
I respectfully disagree.
last year I could have logged 100 hours blocking shortcuts and they were ALL full of tire marks and SKIDS

oh and @jdog, of course :)

Every trail in Allamuchy has tire marks & skids and most of them were made by motorcycles. If the trail is opened it will be used by any/all trail users but use does not correlate to creation.
good point, but how do the park officials see it? If they see tire marks, we will be blamed even if we didnt do it, so we need to be extra careful in our behavior. One rotten apple spoils...

good point, but how do the park officials see it? If they see tire marks, we will be blamed even if we didnt do it, so we need to be extra careful in our behavior. One rotten apple spoils...

Yeah, you're right. And in a sense I am preaching to the choir. Regardless of reality we probably look bad.

I have no idea how to help it, prevent it, stop it. I think if something keeps opening up no matter how hard you try to keep it close you need to just considering leaving it open and closing the longer pice. Or leaving them both open officially. I do not know the politics of the park and I do not know what is involved. But if 500 people want to do something enough, they will do it and nothing will change that short of the land mine solution.

If it gets moved find something bigger/heavier. If that gets moved find even more. If possible break up the shortcut tread and cover with litter to hide it.

This often happens after we put in a reroute and we close down the "old" section of trail. We often put a lot of time in covering up and making the old section disappear. Obviously someone doesn't like the changes and they open up the old route, which was closed for a reason. This could be a hiker or biker, but either way they never win because I am relentless.

This often happens after we put in a reroute and we close down the "old" section of trail. We often put a lot of time in covering up and making the old section disappear. Obviously someone doesn't like the changes and they open up the old route, which was closed for a reason. This could be a hiker or biker, but either way they never win because I am relentless.

Yeah perseverance seems to be the key. Took us about 10 times last year at the sourlands to finally close that fall line trail. Still closed this year (knock on wood)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions