PF30 replacement question

skyrokz

Replaced my stock sram pf30 with a wheels manufacturers pf30 but from all the videos I saw they it looked like the press fit should require a tool to push in, I was able to push mine in by hand on both sides and now when I pedal with some decent pressure BB sounds like a old diesel tractor makes that nice clack sound... would the undersized sleeve be causing this issue or possible the new bearings or at least one of them be dod?

You should not be able to push in by hand and that is likely to cause of the noise. You could try to use loctite or shim with a soda can sliver

Replaced my stock sram pf30 with a wheels manufacturers pf30 but from all the videos I saw they it looked like the press fit should require a tool to push in, I was able to push mine in by hand on both sides and now when I pedal with some decent pressure BB sounds like a old diesel tractor makes that nice clack sound... would the undersized sleeve be causing this issue or possible the new bearings or at least one of them be dod?

There is something seriously wrong is you can push it in by hand.

There is something seriously wrong is you can push it in by hand.
I was afraid of that answer... hopefully it's just a bad/undersized PF30 vs. Oversized bore, I will inspect the sram pf30 bearings and if they are not damaged I'll re-pack them and put the old PF30 back in with some loctite as it was a tighter fit.
Now since this is a carbon fiber frame with no aluminum sleeve, is it a possibility that the bore just stretched over time?

NCM_0346.JPG

Few month old Evo, BB went in by hand. It's fairly common on lighter PF30 frames. Companies like Specialized and Cervelo use an epoxy to hold the cups in place. Contact the manufacturer to see what they suggest.

Daily reminder why I ride an English BB.

View attachment 22772

Few month old Evo, BB went in by hand. It's fairly common on lighter PF30 frames. Companies like Specialized and Cervelo use an epoxy to hold the cups in place. Contact the manufacturer to see what they suggest.

Thanks Jim, I have a specialized, I removed the wheels mfg bb, cleaned and repacked the bearings in my old sram PF30, put that back in with some medium strength loctite and this time it took my home made press to get the cups in. Will let sit couple days and take it for a spin after work on friday, if still issues aND since your shop is 5 minutes from me I'll pass the headache over to you. Thanks again

View attachment 22772

Jim thank you for your diagnostics, I put the new chain ring on today and it's running smoother than ever, the bb30 and bearings you installed is now perfect! Thank you very much once again

Back
Top Bottom