Petition to save weeknight crits at Floyd Bennett Field

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Not sure how many of you have experience with this race series, but there is normally Tuesday and Thursday crits at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. I know I’ve raced this many times, and outside of the crosswinds and sufferfest it was a chill run series that was more about the racing than profits. Now a for profit company has taken over park permits and hiked them up astronomically (a la Martin shkreli style). If you have a minute please sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/aviator-sp...ror_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow#_=_

trener1

Yes please sign, they have been having these races for 25 years, it is on federal parkland, the parks just handed over management to a local (for profit) company and they hiked the price of the permits up from $150 to $30.000, yep that isn't a typo.
So even if you never get to Brooklyn or could care less about road racing this is outrages and your signature would greatly help.

Signed. Even though the one time I raced there (3/4 s) a crash sent me to the ICU w multiple fractures and a collapsed lung. It was a life altering event. I will never race road again because of it. But, I do have a fair number of friends who still race road. And for them the racing there is an important institution.

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1557321383248.png

w_b

$30? is that a decimal point or a comma, maybe I'm in a coma? $30K cray cray have them aviate this.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
$30? is that a decimal point or a comma, maybe I'm in a coma? $30K cray cray have them aviate this.
30k. The old airfields are large and there is usually a carnival that sets up on the tarmac, and I’ve seen a tough mudder event setting up before. Avaitor the company that controls the permits now likely thinks they can gouge those looking to hold event there now and that they will reluctantly pay up. Maybe the other events can afford it but I doubt the entire gross take of the entire season of crits gets near 30k.
I also wonder if this affects the remote control aircraft club that fly on one end of the property. They’ve also been there a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom