Park City Utah MTB advice please?

woody

What'r the best MTB trails in the Park City area? ...with these caveats:
  1. I'll be riding SS hardtail 29er 34:20
  2. My riding partner thrives on techy climbs, is a bit timid about gnarly descents (no shuttle runs for her)
  3. Ideally 20-30 mile rides
  4. It'll be hot next week, shade would be nice
  5. I may also go for a couple shorter solo rides
  6. I may rent an FS bike one day if you twist my arm

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Salt Lake I might of got you some help though I will check with my daughter and her boyfriend. Jealous as the area is a mecca for shredding downhill...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Woody, I have never actually ridden a bike in park city other than my neighborhood and too school.

@jdog is pretty familiar with the riding there

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Ride up to deer valley from town. Ride the mid mntn trail all the way to the canyons and down robs trail.

Take the bus back up.

Should be 30 miles of awesomeness. You will be fine on the SS.

Trails here are amazing. You will fall in love with this spot.

woody

need to borrow a bike travel case?

No thanks, bike is arriving there today. :)

Ride up to deer valley from town. Ride the mid mntn trail all the way to the canyons and down robs trail.

Take the bus back up.

Should be 30 miles of awesomeness. You will be fine on the SS.

Trails here are amazing. You will fall in love with this spot.

Sweet, thanks!

rick81721

Lothar
Any updates? Gonna be in Salt Lake City first week aug. Want to get at least 1 day of mtb in - not interested in downhill!

rick81721

Lothar

So I guess I better bring my O2 tank

tumblr_lu1vrtbowE1qck446o1_500_400x400.jpg

cbiker

Trailforks is usually good for finding trails out west the ratings are usually pretty accurate and it helps for navigating a new area.

rick81721

Lothar
Update - just reserved a Felt Virtue 29er for next Thursday. Looks like the best weather day. Should be interesting

mfennell

I was just out there with three of my buddies. I rented a Scott Scale (FS, 27.5X2.8 tires) from Contender for 3 days, then an Open UP for a day of gravel grinding. Riding was amazing. We rode in the mornings, then lounged around watching the Tour de France all afternoon. I didn't feel the effects of elevation as much as I expected but I consciously pulled my pace back from our typical group rides (looking at you David Taylor). I climbed at whatever pace kept my HR around 160.

Day 1: Started at Park City Mountain with a trail map and vague plans. Followed some locals up a trail (Armstrong) for about 45 minutes, then split off, missed a turn or two, got back on track, then lost again. Didn't care 'cause riding was so awesome. Not technical but a great flow with awesome views. After a couple hours (having accidentally ridden our way to Deer Valley), we ran into "Jimmie Utah" who summers in Park City, winters in Phoenix. "C'mon, I'll show you some old-school trails that only locals know about". Parking lot is 6900ft, we topped out at 8600ft. https://www.strava.com/activities/1702580958

Day 2: Met up with Jimmie Utah at Park City Mountain and proceeded to climb for two straight hours. From 6900 to 9600. It was ... hard. Picked up a couple more locals at the summit and started converting all that potential energy into forward motion. I got broadsided by leg cramps at a stop and decided to abandon and just pick my way back down the mountain on the easy stuff. This is not Hartshorne, where you're never more than 5 minutes from an exit. :) Took 35 minutes. https://www.strava.com/activities/1704951233

Day 3: Gave the battered legs a break with some downhill at Deer Valley. So. Much. Fun. They have a mix of fast and flowing or tight and technical. I didn't see any of the big air stuff that I understand Mountain Creek has. One trail in particular had awesome tabletops with well-sculpted ramps and perfect landing areas. I'd never done anything like it before but I was clearing some of them after a few runs. https://www.strava.com/activities/1707205085

Day 4: Met up with Ben, the Head of Experiential Marketing for Adobe. This is a thing, I swear. Ben travels the world setting up rides for Adobe customers and partners, one of whom is my buddy JP. Most recently, they spent several days in Cannes riding S-WORKS Tarmacs. Ben took us on a great 60 mile road/gravel loop. We slalomed around cattle, hit a rail trail between the east and west bound lanes of I80, and enjoyed miles and miles of nearly empty roads. https://www.strava.com/activities/1709017061

Top Bottom