park bike/dirt jumper urban assault vehicle

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Heard that son. That's why I built my Trials bike in pieces. Was easier to sneak in. The Vreelands are in the market for a couple cruisers as well so I've been checking around.

Chris(NJ)

Haven't ridden a WTP in about 8 years, but I'll throw this out there fwiw....My WTP was one of my all time favorite bikes. It was my street/park bike. Had something different for dirt. but still.

walter

Fourth Party
Ok, so what are reputable brands? Fit? Sunday? WTP? Kink? Haro? Redline? Se? Team Murry? Like what would be the department store level bmx vs bike shop level? I know most of these are shop only purchases, but what's the hierarchy in rhe bmx world?

What's good and whats not? Still looking at 24 inch I think? What say you?

Mountain Bike Mike

Ok, so what are reputable brands? Fit? Sunday? WTP? Kink? Haro? Redline? Se? Team Murry? Like what would be the department store level bmx vs bike shop level? I know most of these are shop only purchases, but what's the hierarchy in rhe bmx world?

Take a ride to Planet Bike on rt34... they have a decent bmx group and can bring you up to speed.

I’m not sure if Jeff with glasses still works there but he is the local street pro... #namedropper

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

So like most things, to stay competitive with a lower price point, Bmx went over sees. For the most part, when you see a complete bike, is is Taiwan. However any of those bikes you see I a bike store are bike store quality.

If you see a frame only, probably made in the USA. Like FIT has Twain completes and Signature frames only that are made in the USA. I rode a FIT Series one, which was the same geo as a Standard Trailboss (Robbie morales (Long Island, NY) custom geometry” even though most Bmx frames are pretty much the same with the top tube length being the driving factor for size). FIT has a lot of roots in the NE even though they fall under S&M in Cali. So I am partial to them.

So most of the brands you list have something similar going on but pretty much any of them are going to be decent.

easyasballinacup

Depending on how you build this may be over the budget but give the vimana frame by morpheus a look. I think it only retails for 600.00. Far superior frame design to most other offerings. If you really get into it you will find a park bike and a dirt jumping bike are two completely different bikes. Adjustable rear chainstays on the frame were awesome when switching from dirt to concrete. Only down side the frame, in my opinion was that is aluminum.

qclabrat

not in the market, but was curious on frame sizes
actually always thought there only one size as every adult looks small on one
which measurements are important to look at?

qclabrat

Top tube and wheel size. Im 5 9 and ride a 21.6 tt on a 22 wheel. More laxed but not awkward like a 24
That's good to know cause PB seems to use the same measurements from MTBs for BMX
upload_2017-11-21_10-57-44.png

Ian F

In my somewhat recent experience, these seem to sell pretty cheap used. I bought my 4 year old Intense Tazer off eBay last year for a fraction of what it cost to build that bike when new - and it was pretty limited production frame back then. I think I was the only one to bid on it.

I still have a 20" BMX bike if I want to ride on a BMX track, although when the Bensalem track was still around, I would take my DS bike (a Chameleon) and the 20". I'd do a couple of runs on the 26" to get used to the track, and then jump on the 20".

Mountain Bike Mike

In my somewhat recent experience, these seem to sell pretty cheap used. I bought my 4 year old Intense Tazer off eBay last year for a fraction of what it cost to build that bike when new - and it was pretty limited production frame back then. I think I was the only one to bid on it.

I still have a 20" BMX bike if I want to ride on a BMX track, although when the Bensalem track was still around, I would take my DS bike (a Chameleon) and the 20". I'd do a couple of runs on the 26" to get used to the track, and then jump on the 20".

RIP Bensalem

Ian F

RIP Bensalem

I grew up within a 20" bike riding distance of that track. I wish I had ridden there more than I did.

If I'm still working in NJ next year, I may try to get to the Hunterdon County BMX track for some sprint training and jumping practice.

Top Bottom