outboard bottom brackets... Phil anyone?

al415

Banned
I'm about to take another stab at running an outboard (external / hollowtech) bearing bottom bracket. My last effort didn't go too well due to incompatibility between my cranks and bottom bracket of choice (Hope / Surly)

This time around I'm keeping it simple and going with a shimano product, xtr M960 cranks.

Has anyone tried the Phil external BB? Phil is my benchmark for all things square-taper; so I imagine this will be a solid bit of kit. I'm just wondering about fitment and compatibility with shimano etc... Has anyone tried it?

OBB.jpg

Why not use the BB that comes with the M960? Is there a big difference between the ones that come with the cranksets and other aftermarket versions?

Why bother you should of stuck to your guns Squaretaper just keeps on rolling. I hate outboards junk systems. Industry debacle IMO...

Why bother you should of stuck to your guns Squaretaper just keeps on rolling. I hate outboards junk systems. Industry debacle IMO...

well, I thought about this for a few months. I know the ST is a proven design, so if my hollowtech experiment does not work I'll just switch back. I like the idea of being able to yank my crank (did you see what I did there?) all by myself.

according to the website you should be g2g with a woody and those cranks. what kinda mods you talking bout?

i have no experience w/ em but the king bbs are quite nice i can tell ya that.

Pretty neat that Phil is making an external style BB. Typical Phil Wood, they put their nice looking logo on the spacer that no one will see save for the installer. And they make it out of stainless. But that is exactly the reason I have liked Phil products for so long.

I'd check what certain people on MTBR have to say about them and research the King setup too. I can strongly guess that the stainless peaking thru would go very well with the type of bike you build/ride :D

I put a review on MTBR that you'll find helpful:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/bottom-bracket/phil-wood/outboard-bb-bearings/PRD_426862_104crx.aspx

Like everything else Phil Wood makes, the bearings are the best (still expensive, though). I was running the OBB on my Paradox, but I wanted to use a K-Edge chain catcher also, so I ended up taking out the bearings from the OBB and installing them into Race Face cups. Race Face bearings are pretty darn good nowadays, but I noticed the Phil Wood bearings are still smoother.

Win

Back
Top Bottom