OOS MOGA

qclabrat

Our obligatory group shot, Frank caught up later to get us lost five more times. Over 1200 feet of climbing is a good day at LewMo.
IMG_20180701_082304.jpg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Sorry folks, diversifying my portfolio...
Great and fun ride again. Awesome having some new faces around include Ted whoever you are on here. I was hoping to get some more mileage, but this dude had the stop three times in the middle of the trail to do this. What was worse is watching seven other guys waiting for him to finish.

can't ride with limp tires

jackx

Cool! 7/4 Deerpark with @jackx
Please post meet up spot and time

Is this park far enough away that with travel time, you like a later time such 9am? If not I should be able to make 8:30 or maybe even 8am.

The easiest starting point is probably the main Deer Park lot, which is probably the way to go for us OOS riders. The forum Trail Directory specifies the following:
40.887921, -74.814155 Lot 1 Main parking area This is the first and general parking area for Deer Park. Port-a-John located here Directions

Of if the group wants to ride some of Stephens State Park too, we could start at the Iron Gate on Kinney Rd. This location is also a good starting point for Stephen's, but that means a challenging uphill start going into Deer Park taking the Orange trail uphill. (See Deer Park trail descriptions in forum Trail Directory.)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Is this park far enough away that with travel time, you like a later time such 9am? If not I should be able to make 8:30 or maybe even 8am.

The easiest starting point is probably the main Deer Park lot, which is probably the way to go for us OOS riders. The forum Trail Directory specifies the following:
40.887921, -74.814155 Lot 1 Main parking area This is the first and general parking area for Deer Park. Port-a-John located here Directions

Of if the group wants to ride some of Stephens State Park too, we could start at the Iron Gate on Kinney Rd. This location is also a good starting point for Stephen's, but that means a challenging uphill start going into Deer Park taking the Orange trail uphill. (See Deer Park trail descriptions in forum Trail Directory.)
Is that the climb where there is a log over in the middle of it? That was a hike a bike for me. Also we got a bit lost when we tried Deer Park last year trying to find the entrance to the trail.

I propose 8am start and a proper DP tour at the main lot with coordinates mentioned. So who's in?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

I live up here going this way you wont run into traffic on the way up and if there is regular rush hour traffic it will be over on your way back down toward 287

I'm not coming to this ride but I would really reconsider starting from here the road is utter shit and my car at stock height wont make it down it without casualties, but seeing a lot of people's rides yesterday you guys have SUVs should be fine.

This is what I'd do if I were you guys and you already know once your in DP its an easy ride, but SP is a better ride wish I was coming :(

echappy

Might not be able to make it to Deer Park. My new bike currently has the following issues: a rubbing brake and a dropper post that can be raised without pressing the lever. Also, I'm a wimp and I don't like rain.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Might not be able to make it to Deer Park. My new bike currently has the following issues: a rubbing brake and a dropper post that can be raised without pressing the lever. Also, I'm a wimp and I don't like rain.
For the brakes, loosen the bolts that the caliper attaches to the frame/fork. Squeeze the brake lever a few times to center the caliper over the rotor. One more squeeze and hold it. While holding the lever, tighten the bolts. It may take a couple of more times of this but this should alleviate.

For the dropper, its cable actuated so I am pretty sure its the cable tension you need to play around with.

In this heat and humidity, rain would be welcomed.

Last edited:

qclabrat

In for Deer Park, but will probably get there early.
Dislike, arrive 30 mins early and get a free tune up from Paul.
Wait, it's this a new bike? If so, don't you have complimentary tuneups for a few months a the LBS? Just like road bikes, it need adjustments after a few good rides.

qclabrat

I've been volunteered to BBQ, so will be at Deer Park early then sweep back at 8AM for the primetime.
Still not sure where to park. Isn't the best place by the school?
40.914561, -74.81366 Mountain Villa School

I think we learned from the last time to take the trail clockwise from the lake. We went counter last time and was a lot of hike a bike.

Top Bottom