Book of Paul H

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 5.03.34 PM.png

How'd it go yesterday?
I have to add anchovies and capers to my pizza these days...tomato, mozzarella, anchovies and capers are the standard topping for pizza napoletana.

usually have a restaurant sized jar of capers around - haven't been to costco lately.
but def prepared with anchovies...never know when a good anchovy sauce (garlic/butter/anchovy) is needed....
i should buy them somewhere other than amazon, but i picked up a bunch of singles, and liked these the best.

IMG_3532.JPG

So.... I think I figured out my problem on the road.
Felt pretty decent at the start of my road ride this morning but after the first climb and not even 10 miles into the ride and both calves started cramping. It wasn't terrible.... and managed to spin it off so didn't think too much of it. Limped for a couple of miles and took a pit stop where it was safe. Did some stretches and continued on. Last climb... the same climb that I had to walk on my previous ride... I felt my legs giving out again. Not even at the 10th of the distance. Then I quickly realized what a dimwit I was. I was pulling more than mashing. All thru out the ride, my pedaling wasn't smooth and I just thought it was because I haven't ridden road too much this year. To be fair, I do practice pulling when I am on the road but I never thought I would pull more than mash on a climb. I immediately started putting my quads to work and my time was the quickest this year. Also, had a lot more energy left in my legs when the ride was done.
My saving grace is that... at least I am only stupid subconsciously.... at least I hope....

Felt pretty decent at the start of my road ride this morning but after the first climb and not even 10 miles into the ride and both calves started cramping. It wasn't terrible.... and managed to spin it off so didn't think too much of it. Limped for a couple of miles and took a pit stop where it was safe. Did some stretches and continued on. Last climb... the same climb that I had to walk on my previous ride... I felt my legs giving out again. Not even at the 10th of the distance. Then I quickly realized what a dimwit I was. I was pulling more than mashing. All thru out the ride, my pedaling wasn't smooth and I just thought it was because I haven't ridden road too much this year. To be fair, I do practice pulling when I am on the road but I never thought I would pull more than mash on a climb. I immediately started putting my quads to work and my time was the quickest this year. Also, had a lot more energy left in my legs when the ride was done.
My saving grace is that... at least I am only stupid subconsciously.... at least I hope....
Um..... negative ghost rider, the patter is full. You’re supposed to be peddling circles.

What you want to do is “one legged drills”. You will find out VERY quickly the flaws in your pedaling technique. You are probably also peddling wilts too low of a cadence for your muscle composition. Cadence sensors are cheap.... so no reason not to have one on the road bike if you plan to improve.

@stb222, thoughts?

tenor (8).gif

Um..... negative ghost rider, the patter is full. You’re supposed to be peddling circles.

What you want to do is “one legged drills”. You will find out VERY quickly the flaws in your pedaling technique. You are probably also peddling wilts too low of a cadence for your muscle composition. Cadence sensors are cheap.... so no reason not to have one on the road bike if you plan to improve.

@stb222, thoughts?
Prolly... I don't doubt my pedaling sucks and I definitely know that my cadence is low. I used to work on these when on the road and in prior years... I only shifted when my pedaling was off balance. I guess I should get back to this.

@stb222, thoughts?

yeah - circles, but....

scrape and pull, then push over - but make a circle...that is what we hear. problem is, that pulling is
probably the only time you(we) ever use those muscles - i get the worst cramps (but mine are post ride,
unless it is something like htt) after spending the day thinking about scrape and pull -

instead of pulling, i now "unweight" my off leg after the scrape. This made a big difference on the zwifter,
and feels more comfortable on the road. no cramps!

do you stand when climbing? switch between heel down and toe down?
think about your favorite death metal song?

What's weird is... I'm pretty sure when I am on the trail, I mainly mash and pull only on technical sections. Lemme verify tomrrow.

Back
Top Bottom