Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Tire dilemma...
I am thinking I will ride 27.5 plus in the chunks and use the 29er in the flows. On the 27.5 plus, I have the Rekons on now and it has been fine. For the 29er, do i get minions or something faster rolling? Or am i getting this entirely wrong?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
have you ridden both tire sizes? you may not even like the one you dont have. I have been going back and forth on my fuel since about october, and i tend towards the 27.5+ in most places (i do have the same tires on both wheelsets)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
have you ridden both tire sizes? you may not even like the one you dont have. I have been going back and forth on my fuel since about october, and i tend towards the 27.5+ in most places (i do have the same tires on both wheelsets)
Getting the 29er in a couple of days.
I'm thinking 29er for places like 6mr and Nassau

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
20190128_203850.jpg

serviceguy

You know that I don't know how to build a wheel.
Its a wheel set but its identity will be a secret for now. :)
Nothing too fancy and its not a big deal.... well... it is a big deal to me and no... its not carbon.
I didn't know how to build a wheel before I built one either, and I don't think I 'know how to' even now, I just follow simple instructions and end up with a new wheel!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I didn't know how to build a wheel before I built one either, and I don't think I 'know how to' even now, I just follow simple instructions and end up with a new wheel!
Well... plus the wheel stand and whatever other tools that are required
I don't have any of that. I don't think I have bothered replacing even the spokes wrench. lol

Since we are talking about wheels.... tires.... it just seems like I have no luck when it comes to Maxxis. I was fully intent on getting Maxxis DHF and DHR's but I couldn't find anything in 2.4's. Saw a pretty good deal on Schwalbe Nobby Nic Addix 2.35 and went with those instead. I have 27.5 2.6 NN Addix on stand by for when the stock Rekons wears out and now I have 29 2.35 NN Addix on order. I also have the regular NN 27.5 2.25 on the Talon. I guess I am just a Schwalbe man.

qclabrat

I didn't use anything specific to wheel building except a spoke wrench. I used a stack of quarters to dish the wheel and a violin tuner to check for tension. Next time I build another, I'd probably get a tensioner. I messed up the first lacing as I was off by one hole on the opposite side. But it's obvious when it is and not hard to fix. Overall I'd definitely build my own going forward. This is actually not a bad idea in the spring if there's a rained out weekend to have an OOS wheel build session at Paul's garage. BYOB of course.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I didn't use anything specific to wheel building except a spoke wrench. I used a stack of quarters to dish the wheel and a violin tuner to check for tension. Next time I build another, I'd probably get a tensioner. I messed up the first lacing as I was off by one hole on the opposite side. But it's obvious when it is and not hard to fix. Overall I'd definitely build my own going forward. This is actually not a bad idea in the spring if there's a rained out weekend to have an OOS wheel build session at Paul's garage. BYOB of course.
My garage is fine to use... but no bathroom so byob (bring your own bottle) lol

Top Bottom