Opinion on how to proceed

Johnny Utah

So there is a dog walker on my normal ride who has a larger dog that is off leash. Since the spring I have run into the said owner twenty or so times, the dog is larger in size.

The first run in the dog followed me for almost three miles, but stayed to my side without issue eventually leaving me alone.

As time has moved on the dog has become more and more aggressive, most recently the dog has begun to try to get in front of my bike in order to slow me down (almost causing me to hit the dog).

Tonight the dog really tried to stop me, so when he was behind me I tried to reduced the gap between the trees and me so he could not pass. The dogs repsonse was to start biting at me. It bit my leg and arm, nothing serious but noting the progression I am not looking forward to the next step. Especially since the arm bite felt like he was trying to get me off the bike. And by arm bite I mean my whole wrist in said dogs mouth.

I have talked to the owner as well as brought the dog back to him several times. At this point further discussion is pretty much worthless.

I know his car and know when he is in the area, but that is only good if I spot the car.

Not going to lie, after today's run in if we were in a carry state I would have fired. I know this is extreme, but the dog is my size and keeps up with me at 20mph. Not comforting while being alone in the woods post said circumstances.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
carry some light pepper spray. make it yourself, in a squirt bottle.

i squirt dogs with water, and they usually stop. seems a bit more training might be involved here.

--

alternately stop on engagement, and don't tempt the dog to follow. get owner to hold until you are out of sight.
maybe give the owner a word to use when you are around????
keep bike between you and dog while this happens, do not talk to dog. cause they are stupid.

Johnny Utah

carry some light pepper spray. make it yourself, in a squirt bottle.

i squirt dogs with water, and they usually stop. seems a bit more training might be involved here.

--

alternately stop on engagement, and don't tempt the dog to follow. get owner to hold until you are out of sight.
maybe give the owner a word to use when you are around????
keep bike between you and dog while this happens, do not talk to dog. cause they are stupid.

Good advice.

The owner has held the dog, but the dog usually finds me a few minutes later.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It seems the dog may recognize you and wants your attention. When you see the dog I would stop and let the dog come up to you. Hold out your hand, palm up and the dog will probably sniff and lick your hand. If not get ready to act defensively:)

Patrick

Staff member
you might be too young for First Blood....

rambo-00034.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Gopro it, call animal control and give them his info. I got bit good at CR earlier this year by a dog on a leash. It was a st bernard puppy being protective but not my fault. Threaten to sue the guy. Ask to see the rabies tag and dog license. Scare the crap out of him. If that doesn't work use a stun gun on him after failed kicking attempts. Isn't it required to be on a leash?

RobW

Before you pepper spray, let the owner know of the consequences that will happen if the dog continues. It's up to him if he wants that to happen to his dog or not. Dogs respond to audible devices also- so like a mini air horn. It's still a shame that this owner is being irresponsible because this is a leash state- your dog cannot be off leash-that's the law. What happens to the dog off leash, he cannot do anything about it.

Johnny Utah

Before you pepper spray, let the owner know of the consequences that will happen if the dog continues. It's up to him if he wants that to happen to his dog or not. Dogs respond to audible devices also- so like a mini air horn. It's still a shame that this owner is being irresponsible because this is a leash state- your dog cannot be off leash-that's the law. What happens to the dog off leash, he cannot do anything about it.
I am interested in this as well, could the loud noise cause the dog to be more agitated by me? Creating a more dangerous situation?

Patrick

Staff member
i like the noise thing too - the owner will hear it, and know you feel threatened. you don't really look like much bothers you, so
he should take it seriously. you can then let him know if it worked, and move from there. i would imagine the first time will be very successful.
pulling out the horn the second time, watch the reaction - if the dog seems to be ok with it, then escalate????

and again, to the owner. "hey, i'm going to try to teach him not to chase me with a horn. i won't point it right at him" -
he is going to lose his dog if you report it is biting people off leash. nobody wins there.

Johnny Utah

i like the noise thing too - the owner will hear it, and know you feel threatened. you don't really look like much bothers you, so
he should take it seriously. you can then let him know if it worked, and move from there. i would imagine the first time will be very successful.
pulling out the horn the second time, watch the reaction - if the dog seems to be ok with it, then escalate????

and again, to the owner. "hey, i'm going to try to teach him not to chase me with a horn. i won't point it right at him" -
he is going to lose his dog if you report it is biting people off leash. nobody wins there.
Good call. That is what I am really worried about, I am a dog person. The last thing I want is for the dog to get hurt or killed. A close second is for me not to get bit/mauled.

I appreciate all feedback!

moray42

Merman
I am interested in this as well, could the loud noise cause the dog to be more agitated by me? Creating a more dangerous situation?
Can't say for sure, but I doubt it. Almost positive my dog would bolt if I blasted him with an air horn. I'd think you'd throw it off at least temporarily. Light pepper spray or a face full of bitter apple spray may work also.

Guy is just asking for trouble letting the dog get that far out. I never get on the trail without a training collar and backup leash at a minimum. All it takes is one unprepared moment, and the dog may take off after a deer instead of you. I feel for the dog, but at this point your hand has been forced.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would definitely report the incident.
I don't trust any dog including my own around other people and other dogs.
Mine was bit by another dog at a training class and absolutely hates other dogs now.

I had a incident last fall when a unleashed dog in my neighborhood approached me and my dog. The owner was standing at his front door calling it and the dog never even turned its head when the owner called it.
Dog was jumping all over us,I kicked that fucker in its head and it finally left us alone.
Most of the time it's the owners fault dogs a stupid.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Every dog encounter I ever had was settled by just a plain water bottle. Stops them in their tracks by a good hard squirt. I had 2 pits every time on a regular route that gave up the chase after a dowsing. If you see the dog grab your bottle. Try this first before heavy measures and obviously inform park or town cops if seen.

Top Bottom