Opinion on how to proceed

ktmrider

IMG_1367.JPG

pibbles

So there is a dog walker on my normal ride who has a larger dog that is off leash. Since the spring I have run into the said owner twenty or so times, the dog is larger in size.

The first run in the dog followed me for almost three miles, but stayed to my side without issue eventually leaving me alone.

As time has moved on the dog has become more and more aggressive, most recently the dog has begun to try to get in front of my bike in order to slow me down (almost causing me to hit the dog).

Tonight the dog really tried to stop me, so when he was behind me I tried to reduced the gap between the trees and me so he could not pass. The dogs repsonse was to start biting at me. It bit my leg and arm, nothing serious but noting the progression I am not looking forward to the next step. Especially since the arm bite felt like he was trying to get me off the bike. And by arm bite I mean my whole wrist in said dogs mouth.

I have talked to the owner as well as brought the dog back to him several times. At this point further discussion is pretty much worthless.

I know his car and know when he is in the area, but that is only good if I spot the car.

Not going to lie, after today's run in if we were in a carry state I would have fired. I know this is extreme, but the dog is my size and keeps up with me at 20mph. Not comforting while being alone in the woods post said circumstances.
Use what postal workers carry, it's called halt. I used to carry on the road bike,takes all the fight out of the dog. It's a weak pepper spray as a strong one is unnecessary because dogs have very sensitve noses. I guarantee he won't mess with you again. I can beat the owner up if you want. I'm pretty tough.

roc

The owner could drop me like a bad habit, he looks like an mma fighter.
fido was here

Don't bother with the owner anymore, he's being an asshole. Without question, report the incident and if you have a GoPro, definitely use it. That was a great idea.
Clearly the guy doesn't care if his dog is bothering people. Think about how scared you were today, now imagine you were a 8yr old child and the dog starting acting that way. It could be a really ugly incident. I wouldn't say a word to the owner, he might just kick your ass, and then feed you to the dog!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dingo

You know his car...ice pick the sidewall on all 4 tires he wont park there again. If he does, ice pick the new tires.

Seriously, make a police report. And carry halt.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
i like the noise thing too - the owner will hear it, and know you feel threatened. you don't really look like much bothers you, so
he should take it seriously. you can then let him know if it worked, and move from there. i would imagine the first time will be very successful.
pulling out the horn the second time, watch the reaction - if the dog seems to be ok with it, then escalate????

and again, to the owner. "hey, i'm going to try to teach him not to chase me with a horn. i won't point it right at him" -
he is going to lose his dog if you report it is biting people off leash. nobody wins there.
It shouldn't bite. Period.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Leave the dog be, go back and fuck up the owner as it is their fault. Problem solved.
This is how I feel and wish it were legal. This irresponsible dog owner is what makes it bad for responsible owners.
Personally, the first time I had a run in with said dog I would have give the owner a thorough tongue lashing, the second time I would have smacked the dog on the muzzle. if the dog bit me, I have no problem carrying (or dragging) it back to its owner by the neck. I wouldnt hurt the dog, its not his fault the owner is a stupid jerk.

Last edited:

RobW

I am interested in this as well, could the loud noise cause the dog to be more agitated by me? Creating a more dangerous situation?
It will stop them in their tracks-

ultimately the dog is a direct reflection of its owner. But really, file a report, you need to know that this dog is up to date on shots and what not.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Seems John is trying to take the high road here, not get in a fight, not get anyone arrested (esp self), doesn't want to hurt the dog.....

yes, the dog thinks its a game now (who said that) - so it has to be untrained. noise or spray. then do what you need to do from there.

@Mitch - Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh
its got a vicious streak a mile wide.

giff06

Sorry John but I would pepper spray both dog and owner. Take the license plate number and report the incident. Game over...It seems to me you already tried to work it out with the owner.
E&P

Fat Trout

I am thinking pepper spray?? Am I out of line?
I don't think its out of line. I carry a small pepper spray on the shoulder strap of my camelbak. Its specifically for dogs. I use some elastic to grab it quick but I'll bet a jorband would work nicely!

If you know the car, get the plate # and file a complaint with the police.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Unfortunate that the dude is bigger than you. You mention you know his car, hence he can be ID. Take video or picture of said dog attacking and take it to the authorities. Guy will love him some fines.

rlb

File a report, you need to know the dog has its shots etc. Was there any broken skin? I'd imagine you're not the only one having this issue if the guy frequents the area. Imagine a kid on his own in the park, that could be a much bigger problem. Its a shame that his ignorance might have an impact on the dog, but what else can you do? Definitely carry some spray too, because the next time you run in to them it could get a bit interesting.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
For your own protection:
Yes I'd carry halt or some other form of non-lethal deterrent. I'd also video the owners car (including his tags) and the go-pro/cellphone the dogs aggressive behavior and post it as a private video on YouTube. One you create w/out any of your personal identifiable information on it....cuz, you know. You now would have the ability to "Show" the owner what is happening. It's possible that he thinks you're exaggerating about just how aggressive the dog is getting. Of course it is also possible that he may not give a shit about what it does, but he probably doesn't want to loose the dog either.

You're far from an alarmist so trust your judgement. If you think showing him would just escalate the situation, just send the link to animal control with a clear conscience.

Top Bottom