Open?

moray42

Merman
Not sure if the park has officially made the call that any of the sections are open, but some are rideable. Mainly only from the trail head from the lot kiosk out to the fire road and then right back to duck farm and to the lot. There are a few other bits that have been worked on, but will require hiking the bike thru. Stuff further out is still clogged up with debris. Survey showed 127 downed trees just in the MTB trails, so it is going to take a bit of time.

See this thread for more details following the last trail maintenance day.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28232

The park has said that all, or at least most of the other trails towards the park building are open. With the cooler weather Wharton is starting to firm up more again, and some sandy stuff had just been cleaned up during the maintenance session this past weekend. So if you're looking for another close ride, there is another possibility.

Amy

Never rode Wharton, I thought it was mostly sand. Is the trail marked? I'm always afraid I will get lost at a new place!!

moray42

Merman
There are a number of patches of sand due to the summer drying, but most is still packed. Trailhead is at the far corner of the Batsto parking lot. It is a stacked loop, so as long as you stay on the marked trails you shouldn't have to worry about getting lost. Only issue i've really heard of was people accidentally taking/staying on the 19 mile loop when they planned to do one of the shorter ones. As long as you keep tabs on the markers it shouldn't be an issue.
There is a map kiosk at the trailhead, and you can also get copy of the map here.
http://www.jorba.org/wharton

One thing worth noting is that the orange loop goes all the way around, so you will see orange markers double up with green or blue depending on what section you are on. Had people ask worried they were on the wrong trail since they saw the orange markers. If you get to a point where all you see for a little while are orange tags, then you are on the Penns Branch Trail (aka orange).

Optiwizard

its super easy to follow and some fun trials there. Highly recommend wharton. Its pretty much very similar to estell but options for more miles.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
There is still not a full loop ride able, so the north end trails are closed. The park has made it clear that all open trails anywhere in the park are ride able, so stop by the nature center for the latest map that marks green "open" trails.

I know it seems like a long time since July, but when you get out there and see the conditions it becomes much more understandable. The park is plugging away at it, as are more than a few volunteers. When we have another "all hands on deck" TM day scheduled I will post it here.

Amy

Some friends of mine went and did some work, I was going to try to ride Sunday but didn't make it :-/...no hunting on Sundays!

KenS

JORBA.ORG
With Sandy impacting both the county and me personally, and hunting season adding more conflict, I havent scheduled an official trail day. We will get in there as soon as possible to finish tidying up and i'll post the official word from the park when I have it.

BonsaiMTB

First time I've been out to Estell since the bad wind storm of last year. I just want to thank JORBA who out there and took down all the fallen trees. You did a wonderful job opening and rerouting the loop. It rides completely different than before and adds a whole new dimension both ways....I want to remind some that new trails (longer than rerouts) aren't warranted. We all want to create awesome riding trails..however, you should go about it the right way and join J.O.R.B.A. Jersey Off Road Bicycling Association and join them with maintenance and propose your ideas to build new trails....it might not be the easy way..but its the way to do it right :) Happy Trails.

The Kalmyk

Did the single track loop with my son in his trailer... Spent the rest of the day combing thru his hair like a chimp on a National Geographic film... I won't be going back till the winter... The ticks and flies are too much

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Yeah its rough this time of yr. We will do a faceslapper sesh in the next month but you need bug spray there almost yr round.

teabagger11

i'm going to be in Del Haven next week is it worth the trip up to try Estelle or should I just stick with Belleplain, also anyone available to guide anygiven day?

KenS

JORBA.ORG
They are similar in terrain and ride length, with belleplain being the newer of the two trails. Ticks per mile ratio is the same =p

I am sure if you post up some dates/times one of the locals will be willing to show you around. Neither is large enough to get too lost though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions