OOS town council meeting(its pat's party and he'll cry if he wants to)

Should we close this thread and start a new one?

• Yea

• No

• Idc

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@jklett as far as "membership" is concerned, I have previously said that all must contribute and while I still stand by this statement, I think we can be more lenient. We can open this is up so that anyone who wants to join a ride, they are free to do so. But... if you want to be a member and be notified via strava, you have to contribute. Otherwise, you have to shift thru the threads and find the ride info. Same thing with jerseys. You have to be a member to have access to it. BTW, this is an opinion and not a statement or rule.

EDIT: Last 20 or so members, I assume they have read the 1 page of our thread and are aware of the current set up. Otherwise, they would not have knowledge of the OOS strava existence. Yet, they still wanted to join. I think, the number and speed of new members clearly shows that leading a ride is not a big deal and I think some of your worries are unfounded. And... I'm just being a dick to say I am 99.99999% right :p
The last statement is a joke btw.... for those who think I am too serious.... Max!

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I assume they have read the 1 page of our thread and are aware of the current set up. Otherwise, they would not have knowledge of the OOS strava existence. Yet, they still wanted to join.

Ok so I just read that page, and I feel like I want to join, but at the same time I am not sure I can commit to ever leading a ride. But maybe I could one day. I mean, like I said in the other thread, I think this OOS stuff is great and I want to encourage it in any way I can. But I can't promise I can ever make a ride. Am I still allowed to join? Feel free to say no. I'll just give you some douchey username.

I also want to do whatever I can to ensure you guys stay associated with the forum, because I think you've got a great setup here and it's great for the community. Let me know how I can help.

jklett

@jklett as far as "membership" is concerned, I have previously said that all must contribute and while I still stand by this statement, I think we can be more lenient. We can open this is up so that anyone who wants to join a ride, they are free to do so. But... if you want to be a member and be notified via strava, you have to contribute. Otherwise, you have to shift thru the threads and find the ride info. Same thing with jerseys. You have to be a member to have access to it. BTW, this is an opinion and not a statement or rule.

EDIT: Last 20 or so members, I assume they have read the 1 page of our thread and are aware of the current set up. Otherwise, they would not have knowledge of the OOS strava existence. Yet, they still wanted to join. I think, the number and speed of new members clearly shows that leading a ride is not a big deal and I think some of your worries are unfounded. And... I'm just being a dick to say I am 99.99999% right :p
The last statement is a joke btw.... for those who think I am too serious.... Max!
Gotcha. I'll admit that I haven't read the latest version of the first post, it does make more sense to me now.

BTW, I'll see y'all at noon. I have to get the little one ready for dance.

Off The Road Again

My $0.02 here, I'm not a 'member' of OOS though I fit the description. Good discussion. I've been on a few of the OOS rides because I follow Joy's 'What's Going on this Weekend' thread, and I like that they ride different parks. The last ride at SSP was great - I ran into many riders I haven't seen in awhile, and met new people. My beef is that when I click on the ride link, it goes to the initial ride schedule, then I have to sort through 200 pages of idle banter to find out if the ride is cancelled, location changed, time changed, etc. If there could be a simple, single, thread just pertaining to the ride, that would be a big plus. I previously read where this might/should be an 'invite only' group?, which is totally contradictory to what mountain biking is all about.
Regarding the North Jersey, Central Jersey, South Jersey trails.....we should be so lucky to have such a diversity of trail systems in such a small state! Depending on what type of riding you prefer, NJ has it. I prefer the rocks and tech so I like NNJ and Central. That's the beauty of mtb - ride what you want and be outdoors.
Oh, and @ Paul H, we hopefully are not bear food. We are more a threat to them than they are to us.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ok so I just read that page, and I feel like I want to join, but at the same time I am not sure I can commit to ever leading a ride. But maybe I could one day. I mean, like I said in the other thread, I think this OOS stuff is great and I want to encourage it in any way I can. But I can't promise I can ever make a ride. Am I still allowed to join? Feel free to say no. I'll just give you some douchey username.

I also want to do whatever I can to ensure you guys stay associated with the forum, because I think you've got a great setup here and it's great for the community. Let me know how I can help.
I don't want a weird name... so I am keeping my traps shut :p

We have given @MissJR the option to lead or not because she helps with notifying the rest of MTBNJ of our rides in the what's happening thread so I can't see why it cannot be extended to you since... you know.... you control this whole damn thing lol

Mare

My beef is that when I click on the ride link, it goes to the initial ride schedule, then I have to sort through 200 pages of idle banter to find out if the ride is cancelled, location changed, time changed, etc. If there could be a simple, single, thread just pertaining to the ride, that would be a big plus.

Keep the first post updated so folks just have to go there for current details. I'm guessing/hoping that's their attempt with the new thread??

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
My $0.02 here, I'm not a 'member' of OOS though I fit the description. Good discussion. I've been on a few of the OOS rides because I follow Joy's 'What's Going on this Weekend' thread, and I like that they ride different parks. The last ride at SSP was great - I ran into many riders I haven't seen in awhile, and met new people. My beef is that when I click on the ride link, it goes to the initial ride schedule, then I have to sort through 200 pages of idle banter to find out if the ride is cancelled, location changed, time changed, etc. If there could be a simple, single, thread just pertaining to the ride, that would be a big plus. I previously read where this might/should be an 'invite only' group?, which is totally contradictory to what mountain biking is all about.
Regarding the North Jersey, Central Jersey, South Jersey trails.....we should be so lucky to have such a diversity of trail systems in such a small state! Depending on what type of riding you prefer, NJ has it. I prefer the rocks and tech so I like NNJ and Central. That's the beauty of mtb - ride what you want and be outdoors.
Oh, and @ Paul H, we hopefully are not bear food. We are more a threat to them than they are to us.
Not sure if you are a member on strava.
We created the strava club so that ride info gets effectively distributed. The benefit of membership I suppose.

Off The Road Again

Not sure if you are a member on strava.
We created the strava club so that ride info gets effectively distributed. The benefit of membership I suppose.
I'm on Strava, but I don't have Premium so I probably can't join a club. Regardless, I like riding with OOS when I can and it gives me a great excuse to ride trails I haven't been to in years.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Let's have this Q&A session for a couple of days and after that.... lets open up a poll
Opt 1. Keep the current system
Opt 2. Ditch it and make a new one

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I'm on Strava, but I don't have Premium so I probably can't join a club. Regardless, I like riding with OOS when I can and it gives me a great excuse to ride trails I haven't been to in years.
You don't need premium to join
Heck... I am not a premium member and I created the club :)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Gotcha. I'll admit that I haven't read the latest version of the first post, it does make more sense to me now.

BTW, I'll see y'all at noon. I have to get the little one ready for dance.
I don't mean to put this on you... but this is one of the things that frustrated me. Didn't read the guidelines and ppl started complaining.
So I think this Q&A is important.

I am going to get ready and head out to PT and then to the ride.
I will try to answer questions when I get back.. or someone else can fill in

See ya at the ride!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's have this Q&A session for a couple of days and after that.... lets open up a poll
Opt 1. Keep the current system
Opt 2. Ditch it and make a new one

By "current system" you mean the basic "if you lead a ride we'll let you in" or is there more?

To me, it sounds like you guys have a core OOS crew of friends and the open OOS group is getting bigger. I would say that now and again you just have a core OOS ride where you don't announce it. You just keep it close to the vest and a few of you go. Like Nassau, and make sure you bring an extra shock pump.

I mean from my perspective, we do this now with the team. We have open group rides for the world. Then we have closed events, many of which I share with the team. But we also do some smaller trips with individual people, like the bike or ski weekends where inviting 35 people isn't practical at all. My suggestion is to not try to make friends and family both happy with 1 setup. You can choose your friends, and when you're sick of the family, you just skip the larger group and go do something low-key. Just be careful that some segment of the family doesn't get upset about that. As for the family, you can't choose them in real life, so I would leave the current setup like that. You're part of the family if you adhere to the rules. But reserve the right to skip the family reunion and hang out with your friends instead.

BTW are you going to ST#1?

jklett

I don't mean to put this on you... but this is one of the things that frustrated me. Didn't read the guidelines and ppl started complaining.
So I think this Q&A is important.

I am going to get ready and head out to PT and then to the ride.
I will try to answer questions when I get back.. or someone else can fill in

See ya at the ride!
It's all good, just that the first page has changed a couple of times since I first read it and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who didn't see the updated one. I've scrolled through looking for ride info not realizing that what you wrote up top had changed.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
By "current system" you mean the basic "if you lead a ride we'll let you in" or is there more?
BTW are you going to ST#1?
That's the basic jist of it but just to make sure everyone understands, this is not a die hard rule. We all have busy lives, You can switch with someone else or find a DH. But you need to be "responsible" for your weekend in one way or the other. Also... if you just have core guys leading rides, it will be same parks over and over again. We currently have 50+ members. That's 1 weekend per year you have to be responsible for. Not a big ask imo.

Wont be available for ST1 but I am registered for ST2

Top Bottom