OOS MOGA

Mr.Moto

Question for my OOS brothers and sisters.

Thinking of converting my fat bike to ghetto tubeless(cheap wheel set). Possibly gorilla tape with Stan’s. Any other suggestions?

What's the rim width and what rim is it? I have a couple of lighter options including a tyvek type tape and stretch wrap depending on the rim. Gorilla is the probably the most consistently reliable, but also pretty heavy too.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Difference is your looking. I’m just starting to think about it again. Almost went for x country hard tail a year ago but bought the fat bike. Love this sport, soo much cheaper than cars...

Fresh break-in 150 bucks in oil I still think this is cheaper

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_174625890.jpg
    IMG_20190217_174625890.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 57

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
What's the rim width and what rim is it? I have a couple of lighter options including a tyvek type tape and stretch wrap depending on the rim. Gorilla is the probably the most consistently reliable, but also pretty heavy too.
Bike came with 80mm rims and 4.7” tires. Switched to 4” Schwalbie Jumbo Jim 4” tires. Wheelset has not given me any issues yet but is s budget set

Mr.Moto

Bike came with 80mm rims and 4.7” tires. Switched to 4” Schwalbie Jumbo Jim 4” tires. Wheelset has not given me any issues yet but is s budget set

The tape that I have fits 100mm rims. You would need to do some surgery to cut it down. Welcome to try it if you want. Not as heavy as gorilla, but not stan's light either.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
The tape that I have fits 100mm rims. You would need to do some surgery to cut it down. Welcome to try it if you want. Not as heavy as gorilla, but not stan's light either.
Thanks. I did not know that Stan’s sells fat bike specific tape. Think I will order Stan’s as I have have had great luck with Stan’s wheels

Mr.Moto

Thanks. I did not know that Stan’s sells fat bike specific tape. Think I will order Stan’s as I have have had great luck with Stan’s wheels

Stan's doesn't make anything that wide. Just providing a point of reference for the weight.

Mr.Moto

Shrink wrap tape. I gave some to Frank.

If stretch wrap is the same as shrink wrap, I have that too. I did a set with it. You need to wrap it a few time or even more. For the set I did, the challenge was the potential for the wrap to shift and the tire that went on the rim was really loose and slid around on the wrap. Could have just been the wheel / tire combo. Also, if the tire every came off, it seems like the wrap would come off the bead area and you would need to do a re-wrap.

qclabrat

That is an idea. It is a budget bike so not looking to put too much into it as use only for occasional snow (and cardio with built in resistance). Thinking possibly 29er hard tail cross country as next purchase. Was initially on the fence between a fat bike and 29er hard tail and fat bike won out as I ride in the snow. Why not build a stable of bikes?
What rims? Some just won't work like my spare set of Weinmanns

Top Bottom