OOS MOGA

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm to heavy to run, ran till I got a mile then walked to cool down really need to get my jogging stroller together

i started running again around 210+lbs - 12 minute miles. this was 2010, think my kid was 7? I was coming off a shoulder injury that required surgery in 2008 -
was playing A level (compete for club championship) racquetball 3-4x per week, and this shut me down and out, so i blew up. took about 9 months to loose 25 lbs, and run a 23 minute 5k (sub 8 miles).

You are much younger - this is why i have high confidence that your goals are there for you to grab! I switched to road biking shortly afterwards, then added mtb back in, cause i had stopped in the 1990s when they were closing down the parks. (watchung res)

Think i've said it before, my kid looked at me and said, "look at daddy's fat tummy" - that did it.

i like the kid jogging stroller, and maybe bike trailer?

Kangdoy

I never asked why you gave up road riding....

Warning: Long ass post ahead!!!

I first started road riding back in 2009(ish) when I did the MS Bike Ride in Boston with my sister and I loved it. It was a different experience and something about riding in large groups just made me.....happy lol! I moved to NJ in 2010 (with my two band mates, that's a whole different story) and in 2013 when I was living alone, I decided to get back into biking and bought my first road bike at Joyful Cycles. They had weekly group rides and that's where I met a lot of other roadies and started doing a lot of long distance rides. That's when I started doing those century event rides (Ride For Autism, Farmlands Ride, Twinlights, Ramble Revolution, Covered Bridges, Grand Fondo and Hillier Than Thou).

So, the end of the 2013-2014 comes along and the people I used to ride with suddenly started going their separate ways. Mainly doing triathlons and marathons. It was difficult to find riding partners because I didn't want to ride alone. This was before I knew about this forum and I didn't think Meetup existed yet? Or at least I didn't know about it. I ended up training by myself and doing some of those century rides by myself. Got lost many times, didn't feel safe riding by myself and it just wasn't fun anymore/started to lose interest.

Then I bought my Trek Fuel and did a few rides with a dude that used to work at Joyful while still trying to train on my road bike by myself. By 2015, I joined here and I was riding the Fuel a lot more and riding my road bike much less. Then my road bike was just collecting dust to the point where I completely lost interest. Then in Spring 2017, when I decided to get back into drumming and bought my electronic drum set, I didn't have room for two bikes. So I ended up selling my road bike.

It was fun while it lasted. Will I ever go back? Probably not because I don't want to spend the money on another road bike and all the accessories again (sold all that too). I'm having too much fun riding trails like I used to when I was a kid. I feel safer riding in the woods (I know you can still get hurt/injured, but it beats getting killed by a car). I like that I can get a good ride in for a few hours in the morning and still have the rest of the day. I like when riding on mtb group rides, people will wait for you if you're behind. I've been on group road rides where I've been dropped and was left to find my way back by myself.

So yeah, that's my story of why I don't road ride any longer.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

I first started road riding back in 2009(ish) when I did the MS Bike Ride in Boston with my sister and I loved it. It was a different experience and something about riding in large groups just made me.....happy lol! I moved to NJ in 2010 (with my two band mates, that's a whole different story) and in 2013 when I was living alone, I decided to get back into biking and bought my first road bike at Joyful Cycles. They had weekly group rides and that's where I met a lot of other roadies and started doing a lot of long distance rides. That's when I started doing those century event rides (Ride For Autism, Farmlands Ride, Twinlights, Ramble Revolution, Covered Bridges, Grand Fondo and Hillier Than Thou).

So, the end of the 2013-2014 comes along and the people I used to ride with suddenly started going their separate ways. Mainly doing triathlons and marathons. It was difficult to find riding partners because I didn't want to ride alone. This was before I knew about this forum and I didn't think Meetup existed yet? Or at least I didn't know about it. I ended up training by myself and doing some of those century rides by myself. Got lost many times, didn't feel safe riding by myself and it just wasn't fun anymore/started to lose interest.

Then I bought my Trek Fuel and did a few rides with a dude that used to work at Joyful while still trying to train on my road bike by myself. By 2015, I joined here and I was riding the Fuel a lot more and riding my road bike much less. Then my road bike was just collecting dust to the point where I completely lost interest. Then in Spring 2017, when I decided to get back into drumming and bought my electronic drum set, I didn't have room for two bikes. So I ended up selling my road bike.

It was fun while it lasted. Will I ever go back? Probably not because I don't want to spend the money on another road bike and all the accessories again (sold all that too). I'm having too much fun riding trails like I used to when I was a kid. I feel safer riding in the woods (I know you can still get hurt/injured, but it beats getting killed by a car). I like that I can get a good ride in for a few hours in the morning and still have the rest of the day. I like when riding on mtb group rides, people will wait for you if you're behind. I've been on group road rides where I've been dropped and was left to find my way back by myself.

Just wanted to say I read the whole thing

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyway to do part of this ride

Absolutely. We would shorten the loops in each park OR just focus on a typical triple of Deer Park, Stephens, and Allamuchy. That being said, having a quad park ride under one's belt is pretty cool and allows me to have a few tasty beers afterwards.....guilt free.

Edit: I would supply water in designated spots at each park. Food is difficult as the animals will scoop it up quickly, so everyone is on there own. My nutrition consisted of Shot Blocks and cliff bars. Again, I am not even close to the shape I was back in '16 as 95% of my MTB rides were on a rigid SS back then.

Let me know if there is any interest......

Last edited:

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the elevation correct at 3500ft? I would have guessed a lot more.

I assume it's correct. As correct as Strava wants it to be. Keep in mind, we didn't spend a lot of time in Allamuchy as this was a "first time" full loop. I didn't want to blow up too early due to playing in the rocks for too long.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Damn... every time I see a white van pass by on Valley Rd.... is that Frank? Lol

Get an I got candy magnet and stick it on the top of the back door I don't think he can reach it and I don't think he'll be motivated enough to go out of his way to take it down

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
i started running again around 210+lbs - 12 minute miles. this was 2010, think my kid was 7? I was coming off a shoulder injury that required surgery in 2008 -
was playing A level (compete for club championship) racquetball 3-4x per week, and this shut me down and out, so i blew up. took about 9 months to loose 25 lbs, and run a 23 minute 5k (sub 8 miles).

You are much younger - this is why i have high confidence that your goals are there for you to grab! I switched to road biking shortly afterwards, then added mtb back in, cause i had stopped in the 1990s when they were closing down the parks. (watchung res)

Think i've said it before, my kid looked at me and said, "look at daddy's fat tummy" - that did it.

i like the kid jogging stroller, and maybe bike trailer?

Not a fan of bike trailers I'm afraid I will have a lapse of judgement

Last edited:

qclabrat

Awesome write up Kevin, I love these kinds of posts. Most of use have written a short bio of ourselves somewhere here and it might be a good idea to spotlight a group member each week. Anyone want to be next for next week? Nothing epic just how you got into mtbing and anything else you want to share. Again great post Kevin, we'll need to hear more about the Summer of '69 or '10 in your case.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I assume it's correct. As correct as Strava wants it to be. Keep in mind, we didn't spend a lot of time in Allamuchy as this was a "first time" full loop. I didn't want to blow up too early due to playing in the rocks for too long.
Am I crazy for thinking this is doable? I sure Frank, Victor, Kevin and Walter can pull it off but even the rest of us. Maybe not in 7hrs but 10?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Awesome write up Kevin, I love these kinds of posts. Most of use have written a short bio of ourselves somewhere here and it might be a good idea to spotlight a group member each week. Anyone want to be next for next week? Nothing epic just how you got into mtbing and anything else you want to share. Again great post Kevin, we'll need to hear more about the Summer of '69 or '10 in your case.
But I've already done my homework Mr. Qclabrat! Please read Beta Noobs Tale lol

qclabrat

But I've already done my homework Mr. Qclabrat! Please read Beta Noobs Tale lol
Then you can be next, simple cut paste and small update. I'll be responsible for lining up someone each week. The group is fairly large that we can likely fill in the rest of the year and it also gets us closer to 9000. I'll remind you Monday to drop this post.

Off The Road Again

@ReggieHammond - Burke, is this the 4-park ride? When is it planned (I'm too lazy to look through the pages when you first posted it). I had fun at last years ride, just pace was too slow. I'm way out of shape this year (despite round being a shape) but I want to do this ride. PM me if you want. Been awhile since we rode.

Top Bottom