One wheelset for CX and XC MTB.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I know the Stans Valors lead the way here, I've also looked into some China carbon wheels, but what other wheelset am I missing here?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Carbon only?

Crests don't seem bad as long as you aren't trying to put road tires on them. I was running them as my backup cross wheelset until I stupidly sold them this year. That would be my aluminum vote. Stan's hubs make it easy for for swapping caps between 12mm/15mm/QR through axles, etc. As long as you aren't boost or have a Lefty...

Mountain Bike Mike

Carbon only?

Crests don't seem bad as long as you aren't trying to put road tires on them. I was running them as my backup cross wheelset until I stupidly sold them this year. That would be my aluminum vote. Stan's hubs make it easy for for swapping caps between 12mm/15mm/QR through axles, etc. As long as you aren't boost or have a Lefty...

Will sell them back to ya... your call

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Doesn’t have to be carbon but I’d like it to be light. I read issues with putting CX tires on the crests... i guess i should have tried putting CX tires on before i sold my crests off the SS.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doesn’t have to be carbon but I’d like it to be light. I read issues with putting CX tires on the crests... i guess i should have tried putting CX tires on before i sold my crests off the SS.

What issues? It also seems the Crest MK3s may be stiffer (and lighter) than the old ones.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Budget is around $500, which puts the China carbons right at the top of the budget. Since I liquidated my SS wheelset already, it isn't a huge investment of new cash into these wheelz

What issues? It also seems the Crest MK3s may be stiffer (and lighter) than the old ones.
just getting the tires on in general.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Budget is around $500, which puts the China carbons right at the top of the budget. Since I liquidated my SS wheelset already, it isn't a huge investment of new cash into these wheelz

just getting the tires on in general.

I can only speak to Clement PDX/MXP tires, but they went on no issues. I didn't run them tubeless on those rims though.

Not sure how much different the Crests are from the Iron Crosses but I run PDX/MXPs tubeless on those and they go on/off without issues. Tight but not overly.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I have a set of Grails and they worked great, but they feel like boat anchors.

Top Bottom