Old School vs New School

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Well, my disease has struck again. I'm the proud parent of a brand new Torelli Montefalco. Over the years I've very much enjoyed my Columbus EL-OS tubed Torelli, so when I got the carbon jones, back to Torelli I went.

WTF is a Torelli? Well, Torelli has been around for the better part of 30 years and is ran by a total bike nut name Bill McGann (aka "Chairman Bill"...learn more here if you care). Most of their bikes are built by Mondinico, which is probably a name you're familiar with if you're an Italian bike freak or raced when you and your buddies dreamed of Colnagos, Tomasinni's, DeRosa's, and the like. If I'm not mistaken, Mondinico also made a lot of the Masi's.

Anyway, back in late '93 I was in desperate need of an upgrade from my ill-fitting Shimano 105 equipped Diamondback Master TG. Rode some of the early OCLV Treks; they rode like a sofa but I could flex the BB and grind the chain into the front derailleur in any and every gear combo--maybe not the best thing for a masher. I rode a bunch of aluminium bikes; speedy and stiff. But ya' know, I liked keeping my fillings in my head. Steel was the right way to go for me back then...

A buddy of mine turned me on to Torelli. I called them to find a dealer and got Chairman Bill on the phone. This guy was an over-the-top and enthusiastic bike nerd..it was game over. And I liked the idea of riding around the Twin Cities where biking is HUGE (LeMond effect), likely never seeing another bike like mine. In fact, I never saw another bike like the steel Torelli until a month ago; a frame went on e-bay for nearly 60% what they were new (retail) in 1993/4.

I was living in Minnesota at the time and the closest dealer was in Bryn Mawr, PA. Really. In spite of the distance 'had a really good experience, so when it was time to get another Torelli, I went to the same place--except this time I could actually go there for the fitting :)

The steel Torelli was a mid-range build for the time; Ultegra 600 (2nd or 3rd year for STI) & Campy rims (don't remember what they were called...tall profile semi-aero rims), with Kalloy and (mostly) Cinelli parts scattered here and there. The bike weighed in at a not-too-bad-for-the-time 21 lbs and change ready to roll. Really. 19 lb bikes were *really* lite back then...and the few that were in the 18 lb range were the "OMG that's unreal!" category. Since then, I've put on FIR rims, swapped out seats (a few times), a carbon fork, and FSA bars to adapt the fit from 28 y.o. hammer-head Tim's body to 44 y.o. chubo-wubbo-slow-guy Tim's body.

She was, and still is, a great bike. 'Always thought the Ultegra 600 stuff sucked, though; the older 105 stuff I had on my Master TG worked better. I thought about junking everything but the frame and modernizing her--the frame is still in excellent shape. But then I got up close to Jake's Madone. Damn, that carbon is sexy. And so light. And now they ride like sofas and are stiff where they need to be. Well, sh!t, if I'm gonna' do all that to the steel Torelli, I might as well leave it be and get a whole new bike!

So nearly 16 years later after buying my *last* road bike, here is the Torelli Montefalco. This is a Toray T-800 tube-to-tube carbon frame with a paint job on it that the pictures don't do justice.

I was having an e-mail conversation with the head of product development for Torelli and it got oddly quiet when I asked him if the Montefalco was a Ridley Damocles (Belgian) built to Torelli specs. Hmm. Weird. Anyway, take a look at the Damocles and the Montefalco...no doubt about it. The Montefalco looks like a Damocles with a shorter top tube (which is good) and slightly shorter chainstays. Dunno' if anything else is different.

No matter, the Ridley Damocles is a well regarded bike, so it's all good...

My Montefalco is equipped with 2010 SRAM Force. I *almost* went with Red, but reconsidered the day I placed the order. All of the reviews of 2010 SRAM Force basically say that one can't tell the difference functionally from Red. The graphics of the 2010 Force stuff is almost the same as Red (Red just has the little Red hash mark added). The 2010 Force group only weighs 160 grams more than '09 Red. The little red hash mark graphic and 160 grams wasn't worth the $600-ish delta.

For wheels, I was planning on something a little lighter and hi-zoot, but decided that my 200+ lb carcass needed a strong set of hoops for some of the crappy roads up here. Ended up deciding on the Mavic Kryserium Elites. Strong rims, but still only 1580 grams for the set.

A set of white Look Keo Sprints, FSA SLK seatpost, Dedo and 3T parts taking care of steering duties, red Michelin Pro3s, and Sell Marco saddle take care of the rest of the build. I thought a white saddle and HB tape would look the best, but I figured they wouldn't stay looking that way, so I went black. Swapped out the stock black hood covers for some Hudz red covers when I got her home...not so sure 'bout that.:hmmm:

It is a size Medium frame (54cm C-t-C, 55.5 ETT) and altogether she hits the scales at 16 1/4 pounds ready to roll, pedals and all. A little heavier than I'd calculated...like that matters...

It is a *real* trip picking up the steel Torelli in one hand and the carbon Torelli in the other. They're only 5-ish pounds a part, but the steel bike feels more like 20 lbs heavier. Amazing.

And if the weight delta isn't enough, just contrasting 16 years of bicycle technology changes is quite a trip as well. I spent over an hour in the basement this evening sitting on the floor between the two bikes comparing and contrasting...cool stuff if you're an equipment whore like me.

The most amazing thing of all, to me, is the cost. Sure, the Montefalco cost 35% more than the steel Torelli...but the steel Torelli was bought with 1993 dollars!!! I don't know how much 1993 dollars are worth in 2009 dollars, but I'd hazard to guess that these two bikes effectively cost the same.

I have a feeling that the real shocker has yet to come...the maiden voyage :D

Attachments

• pics 044.jpg
    pics 044.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 331
  • pics 041.jpg
    pics 041.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 273
  • pics 040.jpg
    pics 040.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 281
  • pics 035.jpg
    pics 035.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 332
  • pics 033.jpg
    pics 033.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 296

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
wow!
I dont even want to know the pirce tag on that thing :scared:
very nice....I hope you don't turn to the DARKSIDE completely :D

funny-dog-pictures-dog-joins-the-dark-side-because-there-are-hotdogs.jpg

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
wow!
I dont even want to know the pirce tag on that thing :scared:
very nice....I hope you don't turn to the DARKSIDE completely :D

Actually, you'd be surprised about the cost. Though not cheap, the Montefalco (and Dacoles) are the least expensive T800 frames out there. The total build cost (which included all the fitting stuff) was about the same as what Trek 5.2 Madone (i.e. Madone w/Ultegra SL) retails for.

Oddly enough, the Montefalco cost me within just a few hundred bucks of what the SIR9 did...so really, not bad at all...

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck with the maiden voyage! I'd like to hear how it went. Thanks for the write-up and pics. It gave me something substantial while I just ate my breakfast. I especially enjoy the side-by-side pic with the Niner looking like it was about to leap out and beat both bikes up.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Good luck with the maiden voyage! I'd like to hear how it went. Thanks for the write-up and pics. It gave me something substantial while I just ate my breakfast. I especially enjoy the side-by-side pic with the Niner looking like it was about to leap out and beat both bikes up.

'Glad to be of service :)

The only thing that concerns me about the maiden voyage is the seat height on the Montefalco. Every pro-fit I've ever had, as well as the online fit calculators, puts my BB to saddle height around 71-72 cm. I run closer to 74 cm on the steel Torelli and Niner.

But, the guy I bought the bike from has been doing this for 30 years and is a fit zealot. He wants ya' to not touch a thing for 300 miles, or so. His rationale is that you need to give your body time to adjust to the proper fit--which makes sense. We'll see...16 years ago I immediately raised the seat and didn't give it a chance...nor did I let J touch the seat when he did the refit on the steel bike.

walter

Fourth Party
Beautiful Timmy!! Good luck with it!

I do admit after talking to you about this at MD I checked out the Torrelli website, a lot of nice stuff. Enjoy!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Beautiful Timmy!! Good luck with it!

I do admit after talking to you about this at MD I checked out the Torrelli website, a lot of nice stuff. Enjoy!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Torelli is kinda' weird. Not unknown, but not well known. I read an article once (Road Magazine maybe?) that said "...the Torellis are such great bikes, I really don't understand why I don't see these things all over the place!". Personally, I think Chairman Bill wants it to stay fun for him and not grow to the point where that is in jeopardy. Not exactly sure how that has been kept in check as I've always thought that Torelli's are a really great value; not cheap, but comparable to bikes costing a lot more.

Eh, why ask why? If I'm as happy with the Montefalco as I was with the steel bike when I first got it, and SRAM Force works better than the old Ultegra 600 STI (which I think is a given), the only problem will be all the bugs in my teeth as I won't be able to stop grinning while onboard.

Well, that, and actually riding it. My plan was to shlep it down to Basking Ridge, beating the traffic, and doing 20-25 miles before work. But since I'm a consultant (sub-human), they won't let me use the gym nor shower facilities. Looked into a gym membership down there, but once I run out of daylight that early, I'd want to do spin classes...and they're so f'in early no way 'am I ever gonna' make it down there for that. So, I gotta' figure this out...I'm not getting much saddle time during the week and that is a problem.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Maiden Voyage Complete

I didn't think I was gonna' get this in today. 'Had some stuff to do this AM, then I had a ride planned (that I almost forgot about) up at MDR, and yesterday I got hung up in Philly picking up my stepson (after picking up the bike), so didn't get the lawn mowed...

But, I managed to crank out my ye' old twenty miler...albeit it was right after and hour-and-a-half or so running around in the heat at MDR on the SS. So, I wasn't exactly "fresh" for the maiden voyage.

As I suspected, the seat height felt so WRONG! I kinda' felt like Artie Johnson on a tricycle. But, unlike 16 years ago, I didn't immediately stop and raise the seat.

The Good...

As expected the Montefalco rides nicer than her steel grandpappy. Not as stark of a difference as I was expecting though. Road buzz was less, but not by a lot. Bumps were absorbed\dampened better, but not by a lot. OTOH, I am running 23c @ 110 psi on the Montefalco and 25c tires @ 95 psi on the steel bike. I'd hazard to guess that if I ran the same tire setup on the Montefalco as the steel bike, the difference would be much more significant.

Where I noticed the biggest difference from a ride perspective was after hitting sharper/larger bumps. With the steel bike, there is this "shutter" after running over something more significant. Not on the Montefalco--this difference was indeed stark. The bump wouldn't be as harsh on the Montefalco (again not by a lot), but the entire chassis stays completely composed. Sweet :D

Climbing can best be described as "clean and tight". I really hadn't realized how "noodley" the steel bike was out of the saddle and climbing. She's a smooth climber, for sure. No big climbs on the ride today and my legs were half shot before I rolled off, so I'm looking forward to getting in to some short-shoot power climbs with a fresher set of legs :D

Going downhill, this thing is rock stable...much more so than the steel bike. Yet, it is still a snappy handler :D

As expected the SRAM Force stuff is light years better than the old Ultegra stuff. Quiet, shifts well, brakes are great, the works. I like the double-click shifting...it took me all of 5 seconds to get used to it.

Except for the seat height the rest of the cockpit seemed like everything was in the right place. Nothing was hurting at the end of the ride...though I was going pretty slow...heat, the mtb ride, and my lack of saddle time the last few weeks caught up to me the last few miles.

The Bad...

My f*ckin' feet. I hate my feet. They always ruin my fun!!!! My toes were pretty numb @ around mile 5!!

Granted, I was wearing my Shimano R310's for the first time. I had the shop in Philly setup my cleats (went from Shimano to Looks on the Montefalco), but I think they missed it by a mile. They re-measured and shimmed them, but I'm not so sure they got that right (shop help did it as the big man was gone). What I know is they blew the fore-aft positioning. They had some trick-dick contraption to measure all this stuff--and it clearly missed the boat.

So, mid-ride I stopped and moved my cleats about 4-5 mm aft... This helped the numb toes a little, but not a lot. What it DID do is help with how odd the seat height felt. It was way more comfortable after sliding the cleats back. And, it stopped me from hitting my right heal on the chainstay on occasion (!).

Okay, so that all has to do with shoe/cleat setup, not the Montefalco. The only bad thing I can say about the bike itself at this point is that the Mavic Kryserium Elite wheels don't seem to roll great. Maybe after they break in a little they'll improve.

So, 'net-'net is that is definitely a great bike, but the joy of the maiden voyage was screwed over by numb toes, heat, and SS'ing at MDR prior. :(

Jay is getting these trick-dick shim things that goe inside the shoes. So until I see him, I keep dickin' around with my cleats.

Still haven't mowed the damn lawn...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
look at you! got a new job and poof! new roadie! nice! i'd say you were due..

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
man that thing is gorgeous! i think your write ups make me feel like i own that thing! :D

Thanks. I need to take a picture of it in the sun...the paint has a light metal flake & pearl affect...the pics posted don't do it justice...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Sourcing secrets revealed (?)

I was having an e-mail conversation with the head of product development for Torelli and it got oddly quiet when I asked him if the Montefalco was a Ridley Damocles (Belgian) built to Torelli specs. Hmm. Weird. Anyway, take a look at the Damocles and the Montefalco...no doubt about it. The Montefalco looks like a Damocles with a shorter top tube (which is good) and slightly shorter chainstays. Dunno' if anything else is different.

No matter, the Ridley Damocles is a well regarded bike, so it's all good...

Looks like the Montefalco isn't a Damocles...it and the Damocles are Axman R5's (and the Torelli Verde is an Axman RS5...same frame w/BB30 and a mast seat post): http://www.axman.com.tw/products/products_show.php?pid=202&cid=23

Well, the Taiwanese Olympic team were apparently riding the Axman RS5's in the '09 Olympics...and given that pretty much any frame based in Taiwan (these frames seem to be made by Carbonage in China) was probably and option, they can't be too bad...

RNG1

Looks like the Montefalco isn't a Damocles...it and the Damocles are Axman R5's (and the Torelli Verde is an Axman RS5...same frame w/BB30 and a mast seat post):.

I was with you through this whole process up to this point but I think I hurt my brain now.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I was with you through this whole process up to this point but I think I hurt my brain now.

How 'about this?

My Torelli Montefalco appears to be a re-badged Axman R5...so is a Ridley Damocles...

There, better?

RNG1

How 'about this?

My Torelli Montefalco appears to be a re-badged Axman R5...so is a Ridley Damocles...

There, better?

OK so there is some kind of conspiracy happening here? It's probably those damn spainiards.

Top Bottom