Old "illegal?" red trail

GHM73

Hey all,

New to this site, but been riding SixMile pretty consistently since around 2007. Didn't find much specifics about this by doing a search of the site. I just noticed recently that the "old" red trail (along the stream, to Canal Rd) is now officially marked as "hikers only" pointing you to the white trail and out to the Jacques Lot. I could swear it had a normal "all access" sign on it just a few weeks ago (had been riding blue for a few weeks and hadn't headed down there).

IMG_7649.JPG

Also there is a broken helmet hanging on a tree at the red/white split right there. Anyone know what that's about? Hope nobody got seriously hurt.

Glenn

I always liked that part of the red trail and wondered why it was now marked hikers only. Forgive me if it's old news, I've only just noticed the sign, but I did ride that trail on 7/4.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome Glenn. :)

Interesting question..... Ya know what? I've ridden the park so many time that it's auto pilot stuff now. I can't remember the last time I've even glanced at a trail marker at SixMile.

Rangers trying to raise awareness or shot across the bow?

@jdog?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
that red trail hasn't been open to bikes in the not too distant past... or to anyone for that matter. so the fact that its open to hikers is more of a good thing i would say. at least the trail is being acknowledged. wonder if it will make the official map now. i don't think the rangers do shots across the bow honestly. i just think that trail is in bad shape, and has sections that could easily fall into the river at any point and the rangers are most likely very aware of that situation so they are keeping traffic light.

rlb

The park's issue (IIRC) was the way that trail ends at the road. I also noticed a hiking sticker in those parts last time I rode there. I figured it was an old marker that was never removed between the time that all trails became multi-use and the time the red trail was taken off the map.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
this is at the split going westbound from s. middlebrook???

there is the old red trail, which goes down by the stream, and and on-foot water crossing, this has been closed, but hikers still use it.
then there is the new red trail from this point, where there are two bridges (installed by @jdog) - one is a nice truss style - the other standard -

do you have a gps track?

Patrick

Staff member
Interesting - will wait for @jdog. I don't remember it - but it has been a couple months.

Ian F

The park's issue (IIRC) was the way that trail ends at the road.

To be honest, that really doesn't make much sense... given the main trail crosses South Middlebush Road, which is a far busier and higher speed road than Canal Road.

But as mentioned... I guess we'll have to wait until jdog gets back for the official scoop...

Patrick

Staff member
This isn't the entrance to the closed, red trail, to canal - this is the split of red/white from s middlebush heading west -
it is a blind downhill in both directions - i could see a problem arising with hikers, because it is a nice, high speed flow.

Wobbegong

I cant be 100 percent sure, but Im 99.99999 percent sure this is an old marker that someone found hidden in the brush near where it is currently displayed. I removed it years ago while installing the "new" markers, after we got the park staff to allow cycling on all trails. I remember trying to remove the old "only" sticker, but it wouldn't come off. I can see the rip in the corner where I tried to peel it off. I hid it in the brush, but never collected it. I was out of multi use stickers to cover it. It was at the end of a long day hauling markers and the marker driver in the Bob trailer..... Looks like someone added the red stuff to it.

BiknBen

I cant be 100 percent sure, but Im 99.99999 percent sure this is an old marker that someone found hidden in the brush near where it is currently displayed. I removed it years ago while installing the "new" markers, after we got the park staff to allow cycling on all trails.

I'll be happy to remove it, permanently!

GHM73

Thanks for the links to other threads, very helpful.

I see people on this trail all the time. Bikers, hikers, runners. Wobbegong's explanation makes sense as to why I just noticed the marker. Anyone know the deal with the busted helmet there though? If nothing else, it's trail litter.

That said, I'd love to be able to ride that trail and not be bothered about it or think I'm doing something wrong, but at the end of the day, there are plenty of trails to ride. I just never cared for the White all that much.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I noticed a newer section of for lack of a better word "go around" on the closed red trail. I thought it was the one that goes around the downed tree and skirts the farm field but it was prior to that if heading towards Canal road. I don't use that trail very often so maybe it's not new but it was to me.

Patrick

Staff member
I noticed a newer section of for lack of a better word "go around" on the closed red trail. I thought it was the one that goes around the downed tree and skirts the farm field but it was prior to that if heading towards Canal road. I don't use that trail very often so maybe it's not new but it was to me.

that area is closed. discussion here should be limited to how we could present a solution to the park people to open it. (i'm not being a jerk, hopefully it doesn't come across that way)
there are some areas in there that are very close to falling into the stream! and the traffic problem of course.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I cant be 100 percent sure, but Im 99.99999 percent sure this is an old marker that someone found hidden in the brush near where it is currently displayed. I removed it years ago while installing the "new" markers, after we got the park staff to allow cycling on all trails. I remember trying to remove the old "only" sticker, but it wouldn't come off. I can see the rip in the corner where I tried to peel it off. I hid it in the brush, but never collected it. I was out of multi use stickers to cover it. It was at the end of a long day hauling markers and the marker driver in the Bob trailer..... Looks like someone added the red stuff to it.

that area is closed. discussion here should be limited to how we could present a solution to the park people to open it. (i'm not being a jerk, hopefully it doesn't come across that way)
there are some areas in there that are very close to falling into the stream! and the traffic problem of course.

Wait, now I'm confused. After reading the post from @Wobbegong , I thought the red trail was approved for cycling. After reading the post from @fidodie , appears I may have misinterpreted.

So. Open or closed?

AndyJ

Wait, now I'm confused. After reading the post from @Wobbegong , I thought the red trail was approved for cycling. After reading the post from @fidodie, appears I may have misinterpreted.

So. Open or closed?
Red is open for cycling. However, when heading from S Middlebush toward Canal Rd on the red trail, there is a point (after the white trail intersection) where the "current" red trail makes a 90 degree bend to the left and continues out to the Jacques Lane lot. At that point, the trail also continues straight; however, as the JORBA site puts it, that "former" red trail is "no longer recognized by the park staff."

Last edited:

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Red is open for cycling. However, when heading from S Middlebush toward Canal Rd on the red trail, there is a point (after the white trail intersection) where the "current" red trail makes a 90 degree bend to the left and continues out to the Jacques Lane lot. At that point, the trail also continues straight; however, that is the "old" red trail which is now closed.
What about the stretch from where white comes back into red and goes to canal road (I.e. - the contentious section next to the farmer's field)?

Patrick

Staff member
Wait, now I'm confused. After reading the post from @Wobbegong , I thought the red trail was approved for cycling. After reading the post from @fidodie , appears I may have misinterpreted.

So. Open or closed?

What Andy said. from the 'bridal paths' to canal road is no longer open.
they have under cover park rangers, and snare traps. they then display you naked near the trail head for two days. quite humiliating.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Cool, I look good nekkid.:eek:

Good stuff to know - prefer not to piss off the parks ppl and risk access loss.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions