Ok to Park at Rutherford/Villa Madonna?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
When riding Deer Park, is it OK to park at the Rutherford Mansion (nee Villa Madonna)? It's where the Mansion trail starts, and that was built to accommodate bikes and hikers, so I would assume so, but not sure.

I found this at the following link that suggests it's open to trail users, so I'd like to think it's ok....any input/experience appreciated.

http://www.njskylands.com/pkallamu.htm

"After Mercer's death, the mansion was donated to Catholic Sisters as a retirement home. An addition was built to the mansion, and the site became known as Villa Madonna. Today both buildings are owned by the Allamuchy Township Board of Education, and the addition is the new pre-school through second grade. The remainder of the mansion will become a multi-use site for various programs available to the public. A new official entrance to Allamuchy Park now accesses a trail along the pond's shoreline and a boat launch. From the recently completed parking lot, one can walk down along the pond's west shore with the mountain as backdrop to beautiful views. Or walk toward the mountain across the north shore and the great lawn of the Rutherfurd Hall. Continue on to the dam, which the trail crosses, then follow south along the east shore. passing by four nice benches at several viewpoints.

Last edited:

ryderX

I recently parked there and startled two gentlemen, who at first seemed to be Siamese twins, but upon further scrutiny turned out to be living out their Broke Back Mt fantasies, in public. Can you say " appetite suppressor " ?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I recently parked there and startled two gentlemen, who at first seemed to be Siamese twins, but upon further scrutiny turned out to be living out their Broke Back Mt fantasies, in public. Can you say " appetite suppressor " ?

wtf_zpsbda0b206.gif

dafak!

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When riding Deer Park, is it OK to park at the Rutherford Mansion (nee Villa Madonna)? It's where the Mansion trail starts, and that was built to accommodate bikes and hikers, so I would assume so, but not sure.

As with the others, never had a problem.

In riding here, North, or Stephens just about every weekend for the past few years....I've NEVER come across anything remotely close to this. A few questionable folk parked at the Sussex Branch lot, but nothing like what you'd experienced. Crazy!!

jerzey111

As with the others, never had a problem.

In riding here, North, or Stephens just about every weekend for the past few years....I've NEVER come across anything remotely close to this. A few questionable folk parked at the Sussex Branch lot, but nothing like what you'd experienced. Crazy!!

i think thats his sig, not a statement that applies to this conversation

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the confirm on the parking. Only thing ganging up on us there today were the mosquitoes. Trails were in good shape. Starting and ending on Mansion is a great way to warm up/wind down.

Noted two big blowdowns on the trail that borders I-80. Definitely need chainsaw work, not much room for re-routes.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the confirm on the parking. Only thing ganging up on us there today were the mosquitoes. Trails were in good shape. Starting and ending on Mansion is a great way to warm up/wind down.

Noted two big blowdowns on the trail that borders I-80. Definitely need chainsaw work, not much room for re-routes.

The white trail?

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
The white trail?

Not sure what the color is...it's not on the maps of DP on MTBNJ...it's at the extreme northern end of the park, close enough to I-80 at one point that you can see the cars whizzing by. Nice, narrow, semi-technical (e.g. a couple of off-camber rock faces mid-way along). Meets up with Orange near its lowest point. Hope that helps.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure what the color is...it's not on the maps of DP on MTBNJ...it's at the extreme northern end of the park, close enough to I-80 at one point that you can see the cars whizzing by. Nice, narrow, semi-technical (e.g. a couple of off-camber rock faces mid-way along). Meets up with Orange near its lowest point. Hope that helps.

Perfect; got it. If time allows, I may try and address these this weekend. Thank you for the heads up.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom