OFFICIAL - Post your bicycle workbench area

RobD

A little bit of cleaning, rearranging, and most important... an AC unit!

IMG_6812.JPG
IMG_6813.JPG
IMG_6814.JPG

RobD

IMG_6789.JPG
That's one thing my garage workshop is gonna need. No windows tho - gonna need one of those free standing units

I cut a square in the back wall just big enough for the window unit and framed it with 2x4's then packed the small space with insulation before I slid the unit all the way in place. Finished it off with spray foam in the small gap on the outside. I'll be making and insulated box to go over the outside of the unit for winter. Only thing left to do is insulate the walls then finishing the walls and ceiling with 1/4" plywood and a black & white checkered vinyl tile floor.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
View attachment 54767

I cut a square in the back wall just big enough for the window unit and framed it with 2x4's then packed the small space with insulation before I slid the unit all the way in place. Finished it off with spray foam in the small gap on the outside. I'll be making and insulated box to go over the outside of the unit for winter. Only thing left to do is insulate the walls then finishing the walls and ceiling with 1/4" plywood and a black & white checkered vinyl tile floor.

Nice. I'd Have to hack a hole thru concrete block

rick81721

Lothar
That would be a bit difficult. I guess a floor unit will have to do. They cool pretty well from what I've heard.

I'll have to figure out a venting solution. Under the smaller garage door seems clumsy. Maybe a vent thru the garage door somehow

RobD

I'll have to figure out a venting solution. Under the smaller garage door seems clumsy. Maybe a vent thru the garage door somehow
They make vent panels to replace the solid panels. They have a one way flapper inside to keep critters out. All you do is hook the hose up to it when you need to run the unit. The panel is flush on the out side so it doesn't interfere with the operation of the door. My buddy is a mechanic and put one in his door so he can run a car with the doors closed to keep his heat and A/C in the garage.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How does that work? Heat vents thru a 2" hole??

it is the small version of central A/C - the power, liquid, return, and condensate lines all go through the wall behind the indoor unit.
the outdoor unit is small, and doesn't take up alot of room. many come pre-charged, and it is just a matter of plugging in the lines,
hooking up electric, and turning it on.

it can act as a dehumidifier, some are reversible, and act as heaters (heat pump)

rick81721

Lothar
it is the small version of
it is the small version of central A/C - the power, liquid, return, and condensate lines all go through the wall behind the indoor unit.
the outdoor unit is small, and doesn't take up alot of room. many come pre-charged, and it is just a matter of plugging in the lines,
hooking up electric, and turning it on.

it can act as a dehumidifier, some are reversible, and act as heaters (heat pump)

That would work, probably will need 24K btu to cool the whole garage. Certainly don't need heat tho. How hard is it to drill a 2" hole thru concrete block?

Patrick

Staff member
That would work, probably will need 24K btu to cool the whole garage. Certainly don't need heat tho. How hard is it to drill a 2" hole thru concrete block?

hollow block is easy. assuming you go through the hollow part!
core bit is $50 for block/brick -
$150 for a concrete bit, and it probably needs to be "wet"

rick81721

Lothar
hollow block is easy. assuming you go through the hollow part!

That's what concerns me - part of their building process to make the house stronger re:hurricanes is they pour concrete down the block walls every 10 feet or so. If I hit that I'm burned. Will have to look at other houses under construction to see approximately where they do these "pillars".

Patrick

Staff member
use a rotary hammer with a 1/4" bit. after an inch or so, you'll know if it is hollow, and
from the inside, ya just fill and paint. the real problem starts if you hit a piece of rebar.

or hammer - not sure a ball peen is the right choice, i'd go more shawshank redemption.
unless Pete wants you to listen for the hollow spot....

you could chisel a hole, put in a piece of 2" pvc, then patch around it.

or just have it installed.

Karate Monkey

Mucho likes. That's a super clever use of old parts.

x2 on that. The church where the woman works has four of those, and it's COLD. No idea if the square footage, but it's a 3 story peaked ceiling... So there's a ton of space to cool.

Top Bottom