OFFICIAL - Post your bicycle workbench area

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
My 10x16 shed I converted into a full shop. It has 220v service, heat, and AC. It even has wifi for my computer. Just needs insulation, walls, and black & white checkerboard tile for the floor. Sorry the pics are a bit distorted, it was a panoramic I cut into three pics because the panoramic was too big to upload.

That's awesome. I was thinking of having something like this done in my backyard and I have a couple of questions for you: are your heat and A/C just external stand-alone or window units? If not, did you have to get permits to convert the shed to a heated indoor space? I'm pretty sure I need to do that for what I am planning to do (technically, because I'd also be adding a shower and bike-wash station, with heat it would be considered an "apartment" for purposes of construction) and I just want to get an idea from someone who's done it what kind of total cost I'm looking at.

RobD

IMG_6098.JPG
That's freaking amazing....
Thank you. Once the insulation and walls are done I might try to find a Red Bull bar table with a couple of stools so the guys can hang out and chill.

Last edited:

RobD

IMG_0059.JPG
That's awesome. I was thinking of having something like this done in my backyard and I have a couple of questions for you: are your heat and A/C just external stand-alone or window units? If not, did you have to get permits to convert the shed to a heated indoor space? I'm pretty sure I need to do that for what I am planning to do (technically, because I'd also be adding a shower and bike-wash station, with heat it would be considered an "apartment" for purposes of construction) and I just want to get an idea from someone who's done it what kind of total cost I'm looking at.
It was already an existing shed so I didn't need a permit to build but I did need a permit to add the electric service. The heater is a small foarced air unit with a thermostat control that I keep at 50° in the winter so nothing freezes. All I do is bump it to 70-72° when I go out there to work and it's toasty in minutes. The AC is a small window unit I got used. I cut a hole in the back wall and framed it with 2x4's for support. It keeps me nice and comfortable on a hot day and that's without the insulation in yet. I think the black & white vinyl tile floor will be a really cool touch. Having the computer out there is handy as well. Should be cool when it's all done as long as I stop filling it with bikes and leave myself some room to work and chill. Once it's all done I can get a bunch of the old retro signs for the walls and ceiling from that awesome isle at Hobby Lobby

Karate Monkey

I don't think it will be complicated, you'll just need a kick stand.

View attachment 53037

Nah, that has to sit outside in the rain for a few months before it's ready.

View attachment 53052The heater is a small foarced air unit with a thermostat control that I keep at 50° in the winter so nothing freezes. All I do is bump it to 70-72° when I go out there to work and it's toasty in minutes.

Consider a mineral-oil filled heater...they don't heat the room as fast, but they hold their heat much better than the forced air models.

RobD

IMG_6102.jpg
Nah, that has to sit outside in the rain for a few months before it's ready.

Consider a mineral-oil filled heater...they don't heat the room as fast, but they hold their heat much better than the forced air models.

I have a mineral oil filled radiator style heater. That will probably work well once the insulation and walls are finished. Only problem is it draws a lot of amps. It's a 1500 amp max unit. You can see it under the bench.

rick81721

Lothar
or save money and buy bike hooks and 2x4s ($2x3=$6 per bike, worst case)

Did some more looking and decided the 2 x 4 route is too ghetto for a new garage. Decided to get 2 of these in blue, since the garage was repainted white, going for a Ford theme for the workshop:

bike_rack_2hangingnolock_copy_2.jpg

qclabrat

I'm liking the idea of ceiling mount like this saris cycle glide

saris_cycle_glide_ceiling_mount_bike_storage_hero.jpg
you don't have the ceiling clearance do you for that rack?

if the floors aren't epoxy, do it before you move in, I didn't and really regret it
also in this decade garage doors with the center mounted openers are stupid, side mounts are so much more practical

jackshaft_garage_door_opener.jpg

qclabrat

over 100 sqf my town wants a full building permit with inspections and neighbors to know
That's why I went with a 10x8 but will be doing an 8x12 extension this summer for my other yard equipment

rick81721

Lothar
you don't have the ceiling clearance do you for that rack?

if the floors aren't epoxy, do it before you move in, I didn't and really regret it
also in this decade garage doors with the center mounted openers are stupid, side mounts are so much more practical

jackshaft_garage_door_opener.jpg

I think there is plenty of ceiling clearance, thought it would be more of a hassle. Might do something like that for bikes I'll rarely ride. Floors are already epoxied. I think the garage openers are center mounted but they're brand new so I'm not gonna change them

huffster

I have workbench in my basement, but not in the garage. I pretty much survive with Park bike stand and rolling tool crib for bike work. But, if I were going to put a workbench in the garage, I'd build it from 2x4s and plywood so I could make it diesel and the exact size I wanted. Probably also be cheaper. There are lots of plans out there, but a workbench is pretty straight forward and you can almost just wing it. Of course if you want all sorts of drawers, etc., it gets more complex. Other thoughts: anchor it to the wall and incorporate some angled braces front to back (triangle = strong).

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have some old kitchen cabinets with an oak top I got from Ikea in the basement. Haven't gotten it set up yet post renovation. Hope to get to it in the next few weeks...

rick81721

Lothar
Today's project - assemble Seville workbench. Surprisingly every bolt and screw lined up perfectly, and it's solid as a rock. Much better than the crap they sell at Lowes/HD and same price. Should've known it was a quality item when I had to help the FedEx guy to lug the box into the garage - it weighed a ton

19764511_146811072546465_2810668813735952384_n.jpg

Top Bottom