OFFICIAL - Post your bicycle workbench area

Bikeworks

Current iteration:

Bike-Lair-8-2021.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've had a pretty nice all-things-bike man cave in my basement for years now. I've got my indoor cycling "studio" on the "finished" side (including bike storage and my Zwift setup) and my bike shop and wardrobe area on the other side.

IMG_1694.jpeg

The finished side is pretty much what I always wanted it to be now, but in the shop area there has been one issue that I had that I've always just kind of pushed off - the lighting. It's not a great picture of the full space, but you can see how the shadows play on the left side of the work area below:

IMG_2913.jpeg

I always just kind of lived with it because I have a light that I can roll around (you can see it in the lower right in the photo above.) This was a "good enough" solution for a while but not ideal. The problem I always thought I'd have to live with is the duct running down the middle of the room and the only light fixture is on the right side of it.

But my wife had a repair she wanted to do upstairs and asked me if I had any other work so we could make it worth the electrician's while to come out. I said I didn't really have anything pressing but I'd always kind of kicked around the idea of new lighting in my shop if it were possible. So the electrician came out to look at the various jobs and the first thing he said when he saw the basement was "oh yeah, you want more lighting here." And he had just the solution for the duct issue - two strip lights, one on either side of the duct. These things are incredible!

IMG_1873.jpeg

I so wish I did this years ago! Of course, now I want to do ALL the crazy things I've kind of thought of in the last dozen years down there - redo the shelving, add some wheel-storage, etc. so well see how this snowballs. But, man, walking downstairs and seeing this for the first time really put a big smile on my face.

Top Bottom