"Official" BIYF 2016-2017 thread

rlb

Sorry for slacking (once again). This week's bonus:

Week 10: 02/20/2017 to 02/26/2017 - Participate in an organized bike activity (ride, TM, race, etc.)

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Limping along......
Saturday 2/18/17
Rode LewMo with Harry before meeting the NICA kids for practice. Trails were either awesome or snow/ice. Harry blew up his RD for no reason and coasted/ran half way.
Moving Time 01:14:14
9.5 miles
XtC+

Then practice on Patriots Path with the team. Also took them up Northern Loop.
Moving time 00:34:32
3.8 miles
XtC+
IMG_7040.JPG

Total moving time Saturday: 01:48:46

Sunday 2/19/17
Marty's shop ride....
Moving time 01:31:03
26.1 miles
Roubaix

JRA with Will
Moving time 00:29:57
2.6 miles
Roubaix
IMG_7046.JPG

Total moving time 02:01:00

Mountain Bike Mike

2/20 - No point day

Since I had the day off, dreams of closing the gap on @thegock and @w_b spun around in my head... I slept in a little and rose out of bed a little after six. I was thinking, should I do a 4 hour or 6 hour ride today as I sipped my coffee and checked the wind direction. I made my way to my dressing room (laundry room) and I hear my 5 year old son's voice as he wakes up. At that moment, I decided to go up stairs and hang out with him which turned in to some good father / son quality time followed by us (and the dog) jumping on Mommy and waking her up... Then we proceeded to make breakfast together and somewhere in all that fun, Nate decided today was the day he would lose his training wheels.

skip forward... Nate comes downstairs completely dressed and ready to ride. We head outside, I tell him to go for a spin on his makeshift 12" strider bike and practice as much turning as possible while I take the training wheels off his 16" bike. I roll his bike down the driveway and he hops on.. I tell him, just start off like it's the strider and then start pedaling. As fast as I said that, he was rolling and completely riding by himself. I don't know who was more excited, him or me... I had to play it cool though because getting too excited seems to overwhelm the little guy and he gets embarrassed and stuff. He nailed it. We spent the next hour or so riding around out front. Then he said, can I ride the "white" bike... Which is the 20" Cannondale bmx bike we have. (Note - this is the bike my eldest son won in a promotional giveaway at the H2H chain stretcher race in 2014). I grabbed that bike, lowered the seat and adjusted the bars and he hopped on and took off without a flinch - a little wobbly at first but he was doing it. I was shocked....Good times. Little man was so proud of himself - it was such a positive experience for the little guy. He is always trying to keep up with his older brothers and now he knows he is one step closer to hang'n with them. The struggles of being the youngest of three.

Little man spent the whole day outside riding. At times, I found myself leaning on the front door frame just watching him spin around out front. I even took a moment to just sit on the driveway and take in the sun watching him do laps up and down the street. Not one ouce of me ever regretted not going for that long road ride today. Seeing Nate taking that step was very gratifying. Proud Father moment...

Later in the afternoon, after doing a bunch of housework, my eldest son asked if we could take a spin to the other neighborhood and scope out a trail that could cut through to Crystal lake from the development. With minimal arm twisting, all three boys were suited up and ready to ride. We headed out and I took the moment to teach the kids the proper way to ride single file on the road. Usually everyone is sidewalk'n it.. I lead, little Nate behind me on the 20", and Cameron and AJ towed the line switching off while I kept close tabs on Nate. Little man did awesome and the boys followed instruction really well. We rode safely on the roads through our neighborhood - note: many passing cars and no panicking. The trail we explored was crap - fenced off before we could get to the lake - womp womp...

6EE2A1CC-AB74-4F8F-8AB2-B8B77E07A257_zpsg2wn4hfe.jpg

BUT

The point of this story isn't about tallying hours or BIYF points. This was one of the best days I've had on bikes ever. I can't tell you how excited I am for this year especially since all three boys are able to ride with me and we're not limited by the little guy and training wheels. 2017 is starting off very positive with lots of great things in the works. Life is Good at the moment.

Mountain Bike Mike

2/21 - Mother Nature's Ying Yang

To: 2:00:05 Got my orange crush
Home: 1:46:08 Headwind practice

Mild Morning and was chasing the sunrise this morning. By surprise, dropping in to downtown Allentown, I was hit in the face by a beautiful orange sky reflected off a lake filled with Canadian immigrant chickens

7B05B238-91D4-4145-8A97-3828B2EA8BB1_zps1obd6c50.jpg

The ride home turned sucky. The forecast was saying 6-8mph winds.. shit was well over that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
2/20 - No point day

Since I had the day off, dreams of closing the gap on @thegock and @w_b spun around in my head... I slept in a little and rose out of bed a little after six. I was thinking, should I do a 4 hour or 6 hour ride today as I sipped my coffee and checked the wind direction. I made my way to my dressing room (laundry room) and I hear my 5 year old son's voice as he wakes up. At that moment, I decided to go up stairs and hang out with him which turned in to some good father / son quality time followed by us (and the dog) jumping on Mommy and waking her up... Then we proceeded to make breakfast together and somewhere in all that fun, Nate decided today was the day he would lose his training wheels.

skip forward... Nate comes downstairs completely dressed and ready to ride. We head outside, I tell him to go for a spin on his makeshift 12" strider bike and practice as much turning as possible while I take the training wheels off his 16" bike. I roll his bike down the driveway and he hops on.. I tell him, just start off like it's the strider and then start pedaling. As fast as I said that, he was rolling and completely riding by himself. I don't know who was more excited, him or me... I had to play it cool though because getting too excited seems to overwhelm the little guy and he gets embarrassed and stuff. He nailed it. We spent the next hour or so riding around out front. Then he said, can I ride the "white" bike... Which is the 20" Cannondale bmx bike we have. (Note - this is the bike my eldest son won in a promotional giveaway at the H2H chain stretcher race in 2014). I grabbed that bike, lowered the seat and adjusted the bars and he hopped on and took off without a flinch - a little wobbly at first but he was doing it. I was shocked....Good times. Little man was so proud of himself - it was such a positive experience for the little guy. He is always trying to keep up with his older brothers and now he knows he is one step closer to hang'n with them. The struggles of being the youngest of three.

Little man spent the whole day outside riding. At times, I found myself leaning on the front door frame just watching him spin around out front. I even took a moment to just sit on the driveway and take in the sun watching him do laps up and down the street. Not one ouce of me ever regretted not going for that long road ride today. Seeing Nate taking that step was very gratifying. Proud Father moment...

Later in the afternoon, after doing a bunch of housework, my eldest son asked if we could take a spin to the other neighborhood and scope out a trail that could cut through to Crystal lake from the development. With minimal arm twisting, all three boys were suited up and ready to ride. We headed out and I took the moment to teach the kids the proper way to ride single file on the road. Usually everyone is sidewalk'n it.. I lead, little Nate behind me on the 20", and Cameron and AJ towed the line switching off while I kept close tabs on Nate. Little man did awesome and the boys followed instruction really well. We rode safely on the roads through our neighborhood - note: many passing cars and no panicking. The trail we explored was crap - fenced off before we could get to the lake - womp womp...

6EE2A1CC-AB74-4F8F-8AB2-B8B77E07A257_zpsg2wn4hfe.jpg

BUT

The point of this story isn't about tallying hours or BIYF points. This was one of the best days I've had on bikes ever. I can't tell you how excited I am for this year especially since all three boys are able to ride with me and we're not limited by the little guy and training wheels. 2017 is starting off very positive with lots of great things in the works. Life is Good at the moment.

lose 1 point for no helmet in front of the kids.
+1 for awesome. just because awesome.

w_b

2/20 The Beast 2:09 https://www.strava.com/activities/873944987

I headed to the RUEP trails to beat the sunset. Nice day; great conditions, I wish there was more here.

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

2/21 Alarm Fail 1:22 https://www.strava.com/activities/874469740

Planned for a longer ride but I either shut the alarm off without realizing or it did not sound. Woke up late and pinched one out quickly before work. Another beauty day to be out on the bike.

IMG_0855.JPG

Hopefully my tech will perform more reliably tomorrowz yo.

rlb

Great story Mike! Must be a great feeling to watch them pedal off for the first time.

Top Bottom