"Official" BIYF 2016-2017 thread

Mountain Bike Mike

2/15 - second ride...

1:00:59 - The company I work for puts together a team to participate in the face of america ride . The CFO in the Pennington office is an advocate and hoping to build a team of 20 riders from our Pennington NJ and King of Prussia PA offices. He's a local tri guy / cyclist and knows I ride. In conversations about the event, I agreed to lead group rides weekly leading up to the event to help prepare the team. Today was the first ride... We had four guys come out and I hope to get more each week and we will also ramp up miles and eventually get them out on real roads and comfortable with riding with traffic.

47CCDE3B-296F-4394-B162-0803417FF174_zpseghamrup.jpg

rlb

I know that everyone here is on the same page, but want to put up this reminder anyway. If you ride trails this weekend please post some pics to prove it wasn't a mudfest. I know some parks are not going to fare well this weekend.

WeekendForecast.png

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
2/15 - https://www.strava.com/activities/867790369

Ten days off the bike, and I'm back in the game. It was beautiful out when I left work, but I figured trails would be a slushy mess. Weather report said there was a slight chance of a little rain. I thought about going climbing instead, but it was really nice out at the time and I wanted to ride. Well 45 minutes into my ride it started snowing. Then it started snowing worse. It wasn't really that bad, but then it sleeted on me and turned into a wintry mix, and I was soaked through and cold. Naturally, this occurred at the furthest point from my car. It was about an hour in miserable conditions by the time I got back. I took two different rail beds to try and cut it a bit shorter and get in the woods a bit, but that probably made it take even longer because they were very slow going. I had to sit in my car for ten minutes with the heat blasting before I could drive home. That was a rough one.

huffster

Got a pretty shitty cold going. Sucks looking out the window, seeing the sun-shine and knowing I actually have time to ride, but just don't feel up to it. Hopefully, will fend it off quickly. Enjoy your riding!

w_b

2/16 3:11 https://www.strava.com/activities/868311260

This one's worth +1 Bonus -- it's my longest ride (moving time) of BIYF.

My family has been batting back and forth a cold, or flu, or some pneumonia type crap, since the holidays; and I have somehow been able to avoid contracting it until yesterday. Anyway, after missing the bonus by less than 20 minutes the other day, I figured I'd spend a few minutes less on my morning movement, and puff puff hit the road by 4:20 today. Plan was use my Sneaky Pete passthru from Heller Park to Raritan Center, and link up the ECG from Fords thru Metuchen, then back the long way to ensure I got my saddle time in. Well, this morning they actually did lock the gate (as the sign says,) so I was stymied. Never had that problem before. Thought about hopping the fence with my bike but decided to cut thru the college and up Main into Metuchen instead, on a beautiful morning. Took the long way back, and at around 2:20 MT my ass-o-meter started alarming, so I knew it would be a painful bonus. Spent the next 40 minutes basically standing on the pedals, or doing the ass-on-saddle wiggle; to try to get comfy, to no avail. Thankfully when I got home the MT was all good and I din't have to go back out and pedal around the block a few times. I think I'm going to put back on my Azonic Love Seat (why did they stop making these?) and see if that helps my fat butt on longer rides. Had a nice sunrise which oversaturated the phone CCD so this is all you get:

IMG_0818.JPG

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

2/16 - Commutes

To: 1:38:43 - The roll from Bordentown to Trenton was sleepy as hell. I crossed over to the PA side and noticed a gravel path on the levy at the edge of the Delaware river. I cruised over to it and got a bunch of artsy feels. I stopped and snapped a couple pics with hopes to replicate some bike art photos Wifey showed me the other day.

Home: 1:28:54 - Decent NW wind had me take to road home. Was a pleasant tail wind cruz most of the way. At one of the red lights, I checked my phone and saw a txt from a friend that offended me. Thankfully for him and I, I was riding and had time to gather my thoughts. Also caught a real nice sunset which chilled my aggro. I should always take a ride when something pisses me off. Always works out better that way.

B6804280-1109-42DD-81F1-6C50FCE0FE1B_zpsgrqfmgxl.jpg

6A84D4DB-3BBF-4C81-9FC6-18952925235F_zpsb6c5pram.jpg

8D761321-5930-46FC-A04D-58CEE237C835_zpsmxovbwky.jpg

rlb

So, what's rideable this weekend? I suspect Allaire, H&H, RV? Not Six Mile or CR? That would be useful.

Rider's judgement, just show some proof. If someone posts a 6 mile ride this weekend and claims conditions were great, who is going to believe that without some evidence?

Realistically we all know 6MR is out, CR is most likely out, anything else is going to be a judgement call.

Top Bottom