official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleidopete

Seemed warm today at 32°. Still icy in spots in the park. I love my studs!
2_12.jpg

huffster

Having some bad luck lately. I had plans for a 27-mile loop of mostly paved roads and a stretch of fire-road thru Harriman. At about 5 miles, I was riding a very narrow shoulder on Route 17 and I went over a broken bottle. Within an instant, I saw glass, heard glass, lost all air and was riding the rim. Stan's was no match for this gash. Go for the old dollar bill and tube trick. Pump, pump, pump and the tube is not holding air. Found a leak in the tube coming from old patch job. This tube hasn't seen the light of day in over 6 months. Now the tube is coated in "milk", dirt and grass. I try to clean and patch and it simply will not adhere and hold. Finally, say "F#ck it!", text my wife and start walking. She bailed me out with a lift, so I only walked about a mile. ARGH!

EDIT: I should've tried tying a knot in the tube. Anybody ever had success with this on an MTB tube?

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Having some bad luck lately. I had plans for a 27-mile loop of mostly paved roads and a stretch of fire-road thru Harriman. At about 5 miles, I was riding a very narrow shoulder on Route 17 and I went over a broken bottle. Within an instant, I saw glass, heard glass, lost all air and was riding the rim. Stan's was no match for this gash. Go for the old dollar bill and tube trick. Pump, pump, pump and the tube is not holding air. Found a leak in the tube coming from old patch job. This tube hasn't seen the light of day in over 6 months. Now the tube is coated in "milk", dirt and grass. I try to clean and patch and it simply will not adhere and hold. Finally, say "F#ck it!", text my wife and start walking. She bailed me out with a lift, so I only walked about a mile. ARGH!

EDIT: I should've tried tying a knot in the tube. Anybody ever had success with this on an MTB tube?

Your luck's gotta change soon, I'm sure! Never heard of the knot in the tube. I heard there is a bike shop on Rt.17 Sloatsburg near 7 lakes drive. Great wife!

w_b

Never did the tubeknot; I think it would find a path to leak anyway.
In the past I ran into a stretch of bad conditions/multi flats/valve core defects/not Mr. Smoothie-type rides where it seemed carrying multiple tubes was a necessity. Nothing worse than flatting then pulling a new tube out, only to have the valve unscrew completely in your hand.

I always feel better after changing a flat mid-ride knowing there's another one in there. But I always have to check my pack again because I never remember if I re-upped it after last time. Once, I forgot to re-up, then flatted months later. I still had a tube#2 in the pack but thought I didn't. Bonus. Good thing I checked before walking out. I was worried the whole rest of the ride tho.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The trails were a mess today -
The eagles were not in their nest
The board went off-the-rails
My kid slept through the bus this morning (i should charge to drive him to school)
He had an outdoor track meeting after school, so i picked him up.
Sun is out.
Did some valentine's day shopping
And rode a bike.

IMG_0016.JPG

Last edited:

huffster

Update on frame warranty: "I have received your frame and will be sending out a replacement today or tomorrow."

I noticed that the other bike with the slashed tire also has a badly frayed shift cable housing. So, I'm hoping to have both MTBs back in action by (or during) this weekend.

Until then, here are a couple photos from my hike yesterday...
IMG_0411[1].JPG
IMG_0409[1].JPG

w_b

I figured the best thing you can get for Valentine's Day is something for yourself; so selfish me got up early. Since the trails were shit, I took another ride on the road and bike paths.
I was nowhere near anything nice to snap a stunner at sunrise, but this shot on the Greenway is peaceful to me; and it was, out there this morning for the most part. I got back in time for Valentine's kisses, kids to school, and me to work. Yay bikes.

IMG_1851.JPG

thegock

I figured the best thing you can get for Valentine's Day is something for yourself; so selfish me got up early. Since the trails were shit, I took another ride on the road and bike paths.
I was nowhere near anything nice to snap a stunner at sunrise, but this shot on the Greenway is peaceful to me; and it was, out there this morning for the most part. I got back in time for Valentine's kisses, kids to school, and me to work. Yay bikes.

View attachment 63683
Warren,

Is this by King George's Rd in Ford's or towards Metuchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom