official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegock

Ladies Day! Great job by Joanne, with Denise, Shannon, Melanie and the rest of the slayers.

LADY SDAY 2 4 18.jpg

Last night, my sainted wife and I had dinner and in the bar hung the painting below, which prompted to tell her about the Honeymooners episode, where the boyz discuss poloponies:

POLOPONY IMG_20180203_214637-01.jpg

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
My prior post had a glitch. Anyway Super Bowl Funday. Took a 3 hour break and headed up to Ringwood in a hurry. Lower sections were icy but as I rode up towards the ridge I encountered perfect snow. Scenic overlook photo shows New York City as well as high mountain in the distance. Great to get out before eating Doritos and drinking Beer (and watching the game of course).
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG

Kaleidopete

At 7AM it was 31° and everything was frozen like a glazed donut.
I got a lot of practice riding ice, Some trails were OK, but still icy.
Temperature kept dropping and was 23° when I left. I only got
an hour and a half riding 'till I quit. Nerve wracking riding ice.

the main road
icy feb07.jpg

Furnace road
icy feb08.jpg

by the lake
icy feb09.jpg

pygmypony

Fun group of new and old friends in the woods this morning. Hit some stuff I have not been on in awhile; mostly all good until my derailer and hanger exploded near (at) the ride's end. Time for repairs and deferred maintenance.

View attachment 63153
hey w_b...my group passed your group as you were finishing up that derailleur repair...nice work...glad to see you made it out, and great use of the JORBAnd!

Reactions: w_b

huffster

Had to make a delivery in Poughkeepsie for my daughter so I decided to try Taconic-Hereford MUA (aka 909). Trails were ice and snow mix, but they had the texture of a popcorn ceiling, so grip was actually quite good. Ride was cut short when I felt a sudden wobble in the rear wheel. Turns out the frame cracked at the chainstay. Wish me luck with a warranty claim.

9C39E926-3BE9-462D-BA85-E621123638FF.jpeg

AF6A86CF-6B25-48EE-A993-ACC25957303C.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Had to make a delivery in Poughkeepsie for my daughter so I decided to try Taconic-Hereford MUA (aka 909). Trails were ice and snow mix, but they had the texture of a popcorn ceiling, so grip was actually quite good. Ride was cut short when I felt a sudden wobble in the rear wheel. Turns out the frame cracked at the chainstay. Wish me luck with a warranty claim.

View attachment 63256

View attachment 63257
Like the ride, dislike the break

huffster

This is what today’s “time spent on the bike” looked like. On the bright side the warranty claim is moving forward positively...SO FAR.

EDIT: I didn't quite realize how scratched up my frame is after 3 years of abuse until stripping this thing down. Hope I remember where all the parts go.
41BDE5AD-AEE3-4A17-BFD9-EF08DDF6C5F1.jpeg

Last edited:

huffster

Since my yard is like an ice rink, I was relegated to the road today for a brief 1:05. No pics were taken. The boring ride on the road in the cold, was still an improvement from yesterday's time on a stationary bike at the gym.

Last edited:

huffster

@Kaleidopete I learned something today about why these bears keep wandering about.

Source: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_biology.htm

WINTER DORMANCY

Black bears are not true hibernators and may be active all year long. During the winter, black bears enter a state of winter dormancy called torpor. While in the state of torpor their heart rate and respiratory rate slow and their body temperature slightly drops, but not as much as in true hibernators (such as chipmunks or woodchucks).

Black bears typically do not urinate or defecate while in torpor. The small amount of urine that is produced is reabsorbed by their kidneys. They live off of their body fat, which is metabolized to produce the calories and water that they need to survive. They generally lose between eighteen percent (18%) and twenty percent (20%) of their body fat while in their dens and they are able to maintain their bone and muscle mass. While in torpor black bears are capable of being easily awakened if disturbed and they may leave their dens on mild winter days in search of food.

Black bears begin entering their winter dens in the fall to avoid periods of food shortage and severe weather. Impregnated females typically enter dens first, during the last week in October. Males may not enter dens until December. Den sites generally include ground nests, excavation sites, brush piles, hollow trees, rock cavities and sometimes beneath houses and other buildings. The den sites are typically small in size to retain body heat and ensure that black bears stay well insulated.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
hmm - my dad would say, Why you walking around in a stupor - seems like "stupid torpor" to me.....(that would make it a portmanteau) :D
(yeah, i'm reachin' ....)

Kaleidopete

@Kaleidopete I learned something today about why these bears keep wandering about.

Source: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_biology.htm

WINTER DORMANCY

Black bears are not true hibernators and may be active all year long. During the winter, black bears enter a state of winter dormancy called torpor. While in the state of torpor their heart rate and respiratory rate slow and their body temperature slightly drops, but not as much as in true hibernators (such as chipmunks or woodchucks).

Black bears typically do not urinate or defecate while in torpor. The small amount of urine that is produced is reabsorbed by their kidneys. They live off of their body fat, which is metabolized to produce the calories and water that they need to survive. They generally lose between eighteen percent (18%) and twenty percent (20%) of their body fat while in their dens and they are able to maintain their bone and muscle mass. While in torpor black bears are capable of being easily awakened if disturbed and they may leave their dens on mild winter days in search of food.

Black bears begin entering their winter dens in the fall to avoid periods of food shortage and severe weather. Impregnated females typically enter dens first, during the last week in October. Males may not enter dens until December. Den sites generally include ground nests, excavation sites, brush piles, hollow trees, rock cavities and sometimes beneath houses and other buildings. The den sites are typically small in size to retain body heat and ensure that black bears stay well insulated.
Funny it should mention chipmunks, I saw two today run across the trail.

Kaleidopete

Same icy conditions as yesterday. A cold 11° start to the ride.
Funny how you learn/notice things every day riding. Today I
realized animals usually choose the best line for riding. I followed
the Coyote tracks and they were spot on for a good riding line.
tracks
coyotee3.jpg

bridge
2_9_1.jpg

2_9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom