official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleidopete

Still chilly this morning 10° at 7 AM. I even got to ride some trails today because the snowmobile tracks were nicely frozen. It was still quite a workout. I rode up to the lake and even rode out on the lake where there were snow drifts to deal with. Then I rode up to where the CX race was this year, it’s kind of a mounded hilly area that was mostly blown clear from the winds. Real fun riding up there. I saw Bobcat prints up there. Then I rode down the hill to the road, but I went over the bars when I hit the snow drift at the base of the hill. I rode another fresh trail I know and it looked strange to me, it had rolling mounds, then I realized I was riding on top of the snow drifts and they were holding me. Then my front wheel started to sink, so I stopped and put my foot down, which promptly sank fourteen inches in the drift causing my left testicle to kiss my top bar, damn! But it was a great morning out meeting all my challenges.

the CX hill
CXhill06.jpg

again
CXhill05.jpg

Bobcat prints
CXhill04.jpg

my OTB downhill
CXhill07.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
the power meter stuff approximates it? but it is only as good as the calibration, and weight accuracy - i'm sure people cheat there too.

It's a hypothetical number. Most folks aren't running Smart Trainers or good power meters. Anyone that trains with power will attest to how off a Stages is for example. Just look at the rides. I had C riders in our club posting 30mph Zwift rides because nothing is calibrated.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
google sheets has a getHTML() call or is it getXML? - zwift et al is tagged as a virtual ride.
but now i need all of the URLs - which is difficult to automate (even veloviewer requires the user to trigger the collection)
- and at that point, may as well have people submit the URL through a form for outdoor rides for scraping.
i don't want to deal with the strava api directly, but you could use it to enhance your training :D

---

My gut feeling here is to have the people who do mixed, be placed in a mixed category,
To compete in the outside only group, riders would mark their trainer sessions private - or send me the correction.

I can see the value of the trainer - structured workout that isn't available outside, but there is a mental toughness that gets built outside.
in the cold, in the dark, where danger awaits. The loss of digits is one crash away. And a flat could end you...
Guess i took some artistic license there, but it is badass to ride in tough conditions. (Rule #9)

I miss the @stb222 sunrise pics! Maybe we get a guest appearance.
I looked in here because of the tag, al this trainer talk already? ZERO reason not to ride outside this year so far. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (backwards)
5DD5B2C5-C621-46DA-9891-4A028E1DF348.jpeg
8C399405-0DB1-4884-8837-C1D8657D97E0.jpeg
8BF5E54F-E7D9-4A70-9B3C-6358214E96C7.jpeg

w_b

I had a few hours between things this afternoon, so decided to take advantage of the balminess and sneak out for a spin. The roads were much better since the thaw, but the local trails were a mess, as expected. Cranked out a few miles then gave the bike a much-needed bath. Get out there!

IMG_1754.JPG

Kaleidopete

This mornings ride surprised me with rideable trails. The snow and ice ruts are still a challenge, but rideable.
My rotator cuffs are screaming! It's great fun on these slippery trails, trying to pick the right line and hold it.
I did better than I thought I would and only went down three times due to circumstances beyond my control.
I don't know how the trails will be after the rain and warm up. Nothing worth photographing today.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ANNOUNCEMENT

My, what a big font you have.

No trainer rides, no mixed class. (if you have skinnies/TTFs in your basement, and session them, please contact Mike for a ruling)

Here is my offer -

1. Mark your trainer rides private - you can do this at the end of the week, or by Wednesday of the following week.
This will throw off the leaderboard while your rides are public, but let's not get nuts.

OR

2. Send me the amount of time to deduct in hours and minutes like this 3h36m for all the public trainer/virtual rides- looks like the strava format, see, easy.
Do this at the end of the week. I will input it in to the correction table, and we'll be good to go.

Patrick

Staff member
Please pm, or post first and second week corrections.

do not send me any zero corrections, you will get a demerit. probably have to shovel my driveway, or help TallSean with his frozenpipes.

if you want to play police, the data will be listed as week 0, and be negative in the manipulated data tab on the leaderboard post.
currently there is 1 test point in there, and it is not "real" - it just happens to be first to make it easy for me.

teabagger11

Make a separated contest
1.The Trainer or indoor Rider (they win nothing,they brag nothing except "guilt"):)

2.The Outdoor folks (they win Respect and credibility);)

SMH I can't believe one don't know to distinguish between indoor and outdoor activities
It's like they don't know between night and day
I don't against riding Trainer or whatever you do in your living room
But be honest..
#5 for me

View attachment 61679
Frozen Hudson river
View attachment 61680
This pup knows the difference between indoor and outdoor...
View attachment 61681
Frozen dock in flushing
View attachment 61682View attachment 61683View attachment 61684
The sissiphus at dark..

This is what you missed if you ride Trainer..
The lion roars!

CrankAddictRich

Just checking in and seeing all of this talk about trainer rides vs. no trainer rides... I'm new, so if BIYF is all about riding outside, if that's the history of the thing, then so be it. I can drop out. Personally, for me, this time of year is all about building base (that's the name of the contest, right), getting miles and time on the bike. I'd prefer to do it outside, but I'm also a realist and I recognize that I have goals that I want to meet and if I want to achieve them I have to get them no matter what. So far this year, I've been on the trainer, but that'll probably change at some point. If people want me out, that's fine too. In the end, I don't really care if I win BIYF, I care if I win TT's.

Patrick

Staff member
Just checking in and seeing all of this talk about trainer rides vs. no trainer rides... I'm new, so if BIYF is all about riding outside, if that's the history of the thing, then so be it. I can drop out. Personally, for me, this time of year is all about building base (that's the name of the contest, right), getting miles and time on the bike. I'd prefer to do it outside, but I'm also a realist and I recognize that I have goals that I want to meet and if I want to achieve them I have to get them no matter what. So far this year, I've been on the trainer, but that'll probably change at some point. If people want me out, that's fine too. In the end, I don't really care if I win BIYF, I care if I win TT's.

nobody wants you out - unless you mean outside.

Patrick

Staff member
Seems like the overwhelming response was #5 kick them out of the contest... no?

don't read into that - the feedback i receive privately and the official opinion of @Mountain Bike Mike was to only track outdoor rides,
maintaining the tradition of the contest - and that trainer rides are necessary for the race crowd, cause it is a better way to get a structured workout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom