official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that is what happens when the new guy who knows nothing about the park is allowed to ride out front!

i only missed about .5 mile of the ride you did at the end, i had a blast, but im pretty sure im gonna be feeling it tomorrow!

w_b

Today I popped in at the local to check conditions. Meh, if any more sun hits the trails it'll be a slop fest for sure here in P-Way. Amazing the effect the radiation has on frozen ground, even when the temp is still below 32degrees. Not a bad spin, better than sitting at my desk wit a sammich.

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

Kaleidopete

17° and snowing as I started my ride. About a mile in I hit some ice and went down like a load of *$#.
My right outer thigh hurt like a sumbitch. It seemed to loosen up nicely as I rode more.
Great trails today though, still frozen and lightly snow covered. Not as cold today and much more enjoyable riding.

da fall
icefall.jpg

da trail
Blk egal.jpg

Pumphouse Trail
pumphause.jpg

qclabrat

17° and snowing as I started my ride. About a mile in I hit some ice and went down like a load of *$#.
My right outer thigh hurt like a sumbitch. It seemed to loosen up nicely as I rode more.
Great trails today though, still frozen and lightly snow covered. Not as cold today and much more enjoyable riding.

da fall
View attachment 62034

da trail
View attachment 62033

Pumphouse Trail
View attachment 62032

every fall I've recently on ice has been more painful than the next
How to you manage to ride each day afterwards, as it seems to be a regular occurrence... you tough bro

Kaleidopete

every fall I've recently on ice has been more painful than the next
How to you manage to ride each day afterwards, as it seems to be a regular occurrence... you tough bro
This one really hurt like hell, I'll see the bruises in a day or two. My other falls recently were in snow, no pain.

huffster

Wawayanda midday ride today.

@Kaleidopete I met one of your neighbors back on the trails off Banker. I believe his name was Gary. He was out walking with a couple of his pups. Nice guy! Stopped and talked with him for 15 minutes or so. He seems to be one of the key trailbuilders and knows the park REALLY well.

He intends to finish that out and back ridge trail over there this Spring. I forget exactly where it would go but I’m sure it won’t disappoint. I was glad to be able to thank him for his hard work.

Oh, and I wiped out on the ice myself today on Double Pond approaching the campgrounds. I was going about 1/2mph crossing a patch, so i managed to avoid any harm. No photo evidence, but here are a few from along the ride.

3BA0B872-7228-40AC-84CE-FD074CD024AC.jpeg
365A88E3-B298-4773-81B7-AC37E5B1E799.jpeg
9DE7A253-50B5-409D-BFBA-6406FCBDE194.jpeg
194DA258-9BB1-4E58-AB6C-11D3F2595BDA.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Wawayanda midday ride today.

@Kaleidopete I met one of your neighbors back on the trails off Banker. I believe his name was Gary. He was out walking with a couple of his pups. Nice guy! Stopped and talked with him for 15 minutes or so. He seems to be one of the key trailbuilders and knows the park REALLY well.

He intends to finish that out and back ridge trail over there this Spring. I forget exactly where it would go but I’m sure it won’t disappoint. I was glad to be able to thank him for his hard work.

Oh, and I wiped out on the ice myself today on Double Pond approaching the campgrounds. I was going about 1/2mph crossing a patch, so i managed to avoid any harm. No photo evidence, but here are a few from along the ride.

View attachment 62048View attachment 62049View attachment 62050View attachment 62051
Good job doing that ride! Nice photos too.
Yeah Gary is a great guy and a big help on the trails. He knows Nature Jim a long time too.
He lives in the house he grew up in in my neighborhood. My wife used to give him his haircuts
back in his early schooldays. Small world!
Glad you survived the ice fall, there's plenty of it to watch out for.

huffster

Its funny you mention the haircuts. I asked Gary if he had met you since he mentioned he lived right in the same area as you. He said you were friends/neighbors. He also mentioned that your wife "Skeeter" used to cut his hair...along with all the other kids in the neighborhood.

He was also very complimentary of your artwork.

Good job doing that ride! Nice photos too.
Yeah Gary is a great guy and a big help on the trails. He knows Nature Jim a long time too.
He lives in the house he grew up in in my neighborhood. My wife used to give him his haircuts
back in his early schooldays. Small world!
Glad you survived the ice fall, there's plenty of it to watch out for.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@capedoc - what we got here? Colors and definition are awesome. Is that a time of the year thing?
I think i see the history of north america up the right hand side.
#stillsober
Female eastern box turtle. (Can tell sex by eye color and shape of carapace) Their patterns can vary from individual to individual. Some vibrant, some not so much.

pygmypony

spent the weekend in florida...so only a couple of Beach in your Face pix...

the mudflats of marco island's tigertail beach at low tide...

IMG_4138 (1).jpg

an osprey in it's nest, taken with my phone through the viewfinder of the kiddie telescope!

IMG_4141.jpg

and one more...of my commuter bike after tonite's ride home from the train...it's practically a heat wave!

IMG_4157.jpg

pygmypony

Look at today's ride. I did just that. Hop over 2 lines from NJ Transit and it goes over the Greenway. It fades out quick heading North but you can get into Perth Amboy going South. I've connected it all the way to Sandy Hook and back.

View attachment 61944

i rode the tracks (https://www.strava.com/activities/1325893397) west from the greenway towards talmadge ln and it was brutal...totally sketchy, off camber! i bailed around durham woods!

i guess i should have cut over to the NJ transit tracks?

how do you close the gap from Perth Amboy to Sandy Hook? that sounds awesome

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
i rode the tracks (https://www.strava.com/activities/1325893397) west from the greenway towards talmadge ln and it was brutal...totally sketchy, off camber! i bailed around durham woods!

i guess i should have cut over to the NJ transit tracks?

how do you close the gap from Perth Amboy to Sandy Hook? that sounds awesome

Go over the rt35 bridge into South Amboy and basically ride either the beach or Henry Hudson Trail all the way down. Depending on tide there will more or less Henry Hudson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom