official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I took my bike out of the box this morning, so I rode it. Super warm out this afternoon.

IMG_20180114_164833_045.jpg

Steve Vai

I decided to explore some areas I hadn't been before. The terrain varied and I made lots of Interesting little discoveries. I even found a way to get to Washington Valley almost totally off road from my house. It was a nice 3 hours on the bike, 2 1/2 moving.View attachment 61929View attachment 61930View attachment 61931View attachment 61932View attachment 61933View attachment 61924View attachment 61925View attachment 61928
I even stumbled across a Superfund site... that's NJ for ya.

Now you're starting to explore. Hit some of the quad trails back there. If you go on the opposite side of the tracks they go pretty far.

Rdoonz

Now you're starting to explore. Hit some of the quad trails back there. If you go on the opposite side of the tracks they go pretty far.
I've been down to the quad tracks before. Unfortunately with all the rain and and snow melt that area was pretty saturated today. I didn't feel like punching through a layer of thin ice and finding myself in a bad way.

Btw, do you know if there is an off-road hook up between Dunellen and the Middlesex Greenway? I know there are some old abandoned rail beds between S.Plainfield and the Greenway that I've ridden before. I'm just trying to tie it all together so I can start exploring east a little more.

Steve Vai

I've been down to the quad tracks before. Unfortunately with all the rain and and snow melt that area was pretty saturated today. I didn't feel like punching through a layer of thin ice and finding myself in a bad way.

Btw, do you know if there is an off-road hook up between Dunellen and the Middlesex Greenway? I know there are some old abandoned rail beds between S.Plainfield and the Greenway that I've ridden before. I'm just trying to tie it all together so I can start exploring east a little more.

Look at today's ride. I did just that. Hop over 2 lines from NJ Transit and it goes over the Greenway. It fades out quick heading North but you can get into Perth Amboy going South. I've connected it all the way to Sandy Hook and back.

20180114_155106.jpg

qclabrat

I decided to explore some areas I hadn't been before. The terrain varied and I made lots of Interesting little discoveries. I even found a way to get to Washington Valley almost totally off road from my house. It was a nice 3 hours on the bike, 2 1/2 moving.View attachment 61929View attachment 61930View attachment 61931View attachment 61932View attachment 61933View attachment 61924View attachment 61925View attachment 61928
I even stumbled across a Superfund site... that's NJ for ya.
Where's that old bridge and Superfund site?

w_b

Sunday when I rose I saw 12degrees so hit the trainer. NOT. If I added 2 rolls of paper towels to my basement floor I'd have a trainer like Pete's.

Got a little later than usual start; trails were magnifico. Lots of traction and frozen fast. Leaning the bike hard in the turns, couldn't even wash it out. Magic Dirt. Go get some!

IMG_1791.JPG

oobaa47

Did you rode on seven lakes I think I saw your tires track today..Nice pictures!
Fat tracks? Yes that was I. I was on 7 lakes from reeves meadow up the hill towards a part of the white bar trail that I like. I see you did a rather short ride yesterday? I don't know Liong, you're starting to disappoint me.........haha, beastman is back!!

I'll never forget the time we rode up to bear mtn together. On the ascent, everyone was huffing and puffing, you would zoom past us, dismount, and video tape us dying.......you would then hop back on your bike, blast past us again....giggling the whole time, and then to only jump off and record us some more......and then after the descent down, we start to head back the way we came.....you tell us, I'm headed this way....."which way?"......over to westchester and down to nyc........craziness.....and that's not too mention you were already riding for 4-5 hours before you even met us in the beginning because you started from clifton!!!

Looks like you did the same route yesterday.....awesome!!

liong71er

I start riding at dark and finished also dark
16hrs spend riding, exploring and having happy time
Almost didn't feel like to ride and just want to sleep,but I drag my lazy self out in the dark and frigid cold morning at 13F
My engine felt sluggish I the cold also I didn't eat anything to start with so I stop at Dunkin Donut in Sufern after maybe over 2hrs slow going
After that I went to check train trestle that @Hufster hufster posted here so I steal his Strava Route and go check it out
However,..I comes to and end of trails and in front of me is locked gated fence
So,I throw the bikes over and I start my jump routine when I was join Olympic fence jumping team back in those days

Start cranking again to my next destination
Bear Mountain Summit here I come

The Bear is Sleeping now
Only me the cyclist and few hikers visiting the Bear,good thing no Park Ranger around other wise...

Then onto the next
Peekskill is where I have my late lunch
At 1pm and 20 minutes
I sat inside at Equator restaurant
Eating Fried tilapia and a bowl of soup
Tummy full now and happy bought some snack and water and start hit to road onto The Croton Dam about 9 miles from peekskill,I didn't using blue Mountain trails as I normally do in summer
It's ok I'll do it next time

1 and half hour latter
Arrived at the Dam saw some people's enjoying the Dam thing
After spend enough time there soon I was on OCA trails this is the best part of the trip it's all downhill from now on and on dirt my surly sure will love this
Trails surface is in nice not great conditions
Frozen solid dirt is just like the Tarmac

Then finally made it to Yonkers Downtown after many hours riding in the dark dodging dog walkers in dark
I stop by pizzerias and ate 2slices pizza,three piece garlic knot and a root beer to flush it down
Then it's time to go home now
I took Riverdale roads which is nice an quite to get to Bronx bridge and made my way crossing into Manhattan from Bronx the finally into NJ by GW bridge

Home by 9:17pm
Only 105 miles
Better than just sleep and bring lazy
But it was so damn cold...Nah!!!

1.Below is Obligatory picture of me on Bear Mountain Summit looking towards Peekskill,NY
2.Bear Mountain Bridge
3.Croton Dam
4.icicles form on the Rocks
5.the Dam Plaza
6.frozen animal Claws?
7.rail road spike
The spike shot is from the abandoned train trestle near Sufern,NY
8.bridge trust joint
9.mr.surlyforsure

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

IMG_20180115_074656_716.jpg

Croton Dam

liong71er

Fat tracks? Yes that was I. I was on 7 lakes from reeves meadow up the hill towards a part of the white bar trail that I like. I see you did a rather short ride yesterday? I don't know Liong, you're starting to disappoint me.........haha, beastman is back!!

I'll never forget the time we rode up to bear mtn together. On the ascent, everyone was huffing and puffing, you would zoom past us, dismount, and video tape us dying.......you would then hop back on your bike, blast past us again....giggling the whole time, and then to only jump off and record us some more......and then after the descent down, we start to head back the way we came.....you tell us, I'm headed this way....."which way?"......over to westchester and down to nyc........craziness.....and that's not too mention you were already riding for 4-5 hours before you even met us in the beginning because you started from clifton!!!

Looks like you did the same route yesterday.....awesome!!
Haha.. You're making me blush..:)

I know it was your tires track who else would riding there if it not you Chris
I am glad you're doing this rides again

Btw.. There's a new bike shop in your town
It's on sloatburgh main road or on route 17
Just about 1000 feet before seven lakes entrance,but it's not in operation yet I think they just move in and been doing inventory

huffster

@liong71er
I knew I recognized a couple of the photos on Strava (and above). That fence didn’t used to be there, so it surprised me the other day too. There is an opening that the Moto guys made a little ways up the line. But there is some fence jumping needed sooner or later in that area to get up into Hillburn.

Nice ride!!!

huffster

Rode today at the woods formerly known as Jungle Habitat. Pretty weird to see the arches at the gate gone. They haven’t pulled down the street sign at the end of Airport rd yet. Trails are mostly good but there are some treacherous icy spots here and there. The few patches of snow are “magic snow” but they are few and far between.
3C94AAAB-D033-4D8B-82D2-5EFB313B3D77.jpeg
89D06962-EBB5-4D9B-8EB4-684E6857DCD0.jpeg
BEE9B9FD-0F7D-4B7E-8423-71D9CF43274F.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
our small, but motivated group attacked RV for a full out, and back, including Cush.
We blew it up, the group that is. Somewhere around mile 7 we fell apart, at mile 10 i got jelly legs
chasing the next Cat 3 under 35 H2H cup winner. Jim found out about the ride this morning, and signed up for an mtbnj
account, and came out. Little did he know that we'd hold him back, like a dragging brake!

Anyway - here is who was left at the cush saddle. (i really thought i was smiling....)

IMG_8249.JPG

And the cush white/ridge trail is very rideable in the south->north direction - there is a set of steps that points right at a tree that could use some work, but
the rest of the tech isn't as bad as it looks. The connector got re-routed, because it went onto private property, so that will make a nice project this summer.

a little less than 15 miles, around 3000' of climbing. Not exactly fun Monday material....

Kaleidopete

our small, but motivated group attacked RV for a full out, and back, including Cush.
We blew it up, the group that is. Somewhere around mile 7 we fell apart, at mile 10 i got jelly legs
chasing the next Cat 3 under 35 H2H cup winner. Jim found out about the ride this morning, and signed up for an mtbnj
account, and came out. Little did he know that we'd hold him back, like a dragging brake!

Anyway - here is who was left at the cush saddle. (i really thought i was smiling....)

View attachment 62008

And the cush white/ridge trail is very rideable in the south->north direction - there is a set of steps that points right at a tree that could use some work, but
the rest of the tech isn't as bad as it looks. The connector got re-routed, because it went onto private property, so that will make a nice project this summer.

a little less than 15 miles, around 3000' of climbing. Not exactly fun Monday material....
That's not a smile, it's a grimace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom