NYC Greenway: Soundz Express

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Took a nap and woke up craving fried chicken.... Oh yeah... thank you for the awesome ride everyone! It was cool to wheel suck on team MTBNJ :)

@gtluke and @1sh0t1b33r thank you for waiting for me!

image.jpeg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
C'mon you're looking at my effort from 6yrs ago! All I've been riding is my 40lb fixie so no haven't really been trying. I suspect I won't get close to 16:22 but will give it a try at some point with the roadie bike.
You got to dig deep as I was the carrot of a Aussie SSer who tried with all he had. He said it was his best effort. Most of those leaders are the teams that draft in large groups.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to do the Greenway on Sunday with Mary if the weather holds out. 30 + miles is too much riding for her, I'm thinking more like 15ish. What's a good route to cover and I'd like to park on the NJ side and ride over GW so where do I park?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to do the Greenway on Sunday with Mary if the weather holds out. 30 + miles is too much riding for her, I'm thinking more like 15ish. What's a good route to cover and I'd like to park on the NJ side and ride over GW so where do I park?
Google G.W. Grill in Fort Lee and park in the cyclist parking spots there. Parking is free on Sunday. 15 miles will get you to the Intrepid and back which is a nice ride. Beginning of the Greenway is a bit bumpy and the she won't like the steep climb out and back onto the bridge, but it's fairly short and the rest if the ride is relatively flat. Another option would be to drive into the city and street park in the 90's, then Greenway to Battery Park and back. Another really nice ride would be Central Park. The South side of the park gets crowded, but you're not going to set any lap time records. If you go here from the GWB, it'll be more like 30 miles round trip with some street riding, so I'd probably drive there as well.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Google G.W. Grill in Fort Lee and park in the cyclist parking spots there. Parking is free on Sunday. 15 miles will get you to the Intrepid and back which is a nice ride. Beginning of the Greenway is a bit bumpy and the she won't like the steep climb out and back onto the bridge, but it's fairly short and the rest if the ride is relatively flat. Another option would be to drive into the city and street park in the 90's, then Greenway to Battery Park and back. Another really nice ride would be Central Park. The South side of the park gets crowded, but you're not going to set any lap time records. If you go here from the GWB, it'll be more like 30 miles round trip with some street riding, so I'd probably drive there as well.
Thanks, I'll probably park and ride from GW Grill. This accomplishes the novelty of riding a bike over the GW and not having to pay to cross the bridge. Hopefully the weather holds out.
Does anyone know some good beer stops along the route, my wife can't go anywhere without having to stop for a fucking beer or 3.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, I'll probably park and ride from GW Grill. This accomplishes the novelty of riding a bike over the GW and not having to pay to cross the bridge. Hopefully the weather holds out.
Does anyone know some good beer stops along the route, my wife can't go anywhere without having to stop for a fucking beer or 3.
Just past the Intrepid there's a pier with a pub kind of thing on your right. They have outdoor seating so you can watch your bikes. Friend and I had hot spiked cider there some winter. Really the only place you can see on that part of Greenway. Any further, resident expert @jmanic probably knows some secret spots.

adogg

In case there are no parking spots available at G.W. Grill or if you decide to go on other day than Sunday, you can park for free at the Ross Dock Picnic Area . It's a bit of a climb to get back to GWB but always feels good going down after a loop in NYC.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just past the Intrepid there's a pier with a pub kind of thing on your right. They have outdoor seating so you can watch your bikes. Friend and I had hot spiked cider there some winter. Really the only place you can see on that part of Greenway. Any further, resident expert @jmanic probably knows some secret spots.

Funny, I just noticed this new place Bierstrasse at 133rd (next to Fairway), right off the Greenway.
I'm sure Mrs @pooriggy can find something on the menu she likes.
Bonus, if it's nice out, you can sit outside
and keep an eye on your bikes.
Bring stout cable locks, it is Harlem.
Another nice thing is that it is only about 3 miles from your car,
and you'll care less about the hill to the bridge afterward.

If you want to wait until after your ride,
you can try The Beer Spot and Grill in Fort Lee.
I haven't been there in a while, but tap selection is usually pretty solid.

Greenway Pro tip: Keep an eye out for random left and right hand turns from joggers/bikers- it can be amateur hour out there.

liong71er

@pooriggy may I suggest this?
Walk across the GW,then grab City bike,then head down Greenway..stop by intrepid museum look around snap some selfies then not far from intrepid,
Go to meat packing district,i'm sure you know this rode around check our some cool stuff The Rapha not that far just around that district..
and then head down to GreenwichVillage,
Do you like Bob dylan?if yes then you gotta visit MacDougall street in Greenwich Village. Beer and lots of good stuff..with city bike,you have more flexibility you can ditchoose them anytime and anywhere.

On your way back,back to meat packing again and take a stroll on highline trail about 1.45mile start from meat packing district on Gansevoort street and 14th St near by greenway,it's a elevated concrete rail trail a very nice walk you can ditch the city bike here,
Trail ended at 34th street near javits center,from here get on city bike again,head towards times square take selfies with naked young ladies or just take greenway back to GW,if you have time,go to central park loop,then back again to greenway finally if you really hungry,stop by at Dynosaur BBQ right off 125th i'm pretty sure they serve beer,tho i'm not sure but this is a quite famous joint just before Fairway supermarket,or skip that,near that block there's bar/restaurant nearby,just like Jmanic said.

Have Fun and be safe.

Top Bottom