Nuova Simonelli MCF Grinder $250

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Floor display from Seattle Coffee Gear. They refurbed it before I bought it. Might as well have called it new.
I'll spare you the details. If you've gotten this far you know they go for waaaaaayyyyy more than this. $50 off my CL price for board folks.
IMG_20190130_165712670.jpg
IMG_20190130_165702934.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does a $250 grinder, grind a bean differently then say a $25 grinder?

yes since the $25 grinder will be a blade grinder, it basically chops up the beans and leaves a variety of final sizes ranging from powder to half a bean depending on how many times that piece got in the way of the spinning blade, the $250 grinder will be a burr grinder (flat or conical im not sure at this price point, but the one above is likely conical based solely on price and no other research) the burr grinder is two serrated plates which grind the bean into w/e size you adjust it to. You control the size by how far apart to two plates are, so all the grinds are the same size, they wont fit out of the grinding plates unless they get small enough, and they cant be ground once they are small enough to fit.

can YOU personally taste a difference? i have no clue, but i have a flat burr grinder($50-75) that i use every day and its much better than the blade grinder, is the conical that much better? i honestly have no clue. and im sure there are more benefits to this specific unit that im oblivious (blissfully so) to.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes (most likely) since the $25 grinder will be a blade grinder, it basically chops up the beans and leaves a variety of final sizes ranging from powder to half a bean depending on how many times that piece got in the way of the spinning blade, the $250 grinder will be a burr grinder (flat or conical im not sure at this price point, but the one above is likely conical based solely on price and no other research) the burr grinder is two serrated plates which grind the bean into w/e size you adjust it to. You control the size by how far apart to two plates are, so all the grinds are the same size, they wont fit out of the grinding plates unless they get small enough, and they cant be ground once they are small enough to fit.

Is this how we sound when we talk about bikes with non-cyclists?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why grind coffee at all when someone else can do if for you? Grinding is 19th century

View attachment 86798

because kcup coffee is the coffee equivalent of driving a 90s kia, sure it gets you where you need to go, but it sucks and you know there are better options out there. Hell if your too lazy to grind your own even charbucks is better than a k-cup.

not to mention the waste that they generate. about the only good thing they have is convenience, and i dont see a huge benefit there either (personally)

rick81721

Lothar
because kcup coffee is the coffee equivalent of driving a 90s kia, sure it gets you where you need to go, but it sucks and you know there are better options out there. Hell if your too lazy to grind your own even charbucks is better than a k-cup.

not to mention the waste that they generate. about the only good thing they have is convenience, and i dont see a huge benefit there either (personally)

4a3c3e9ddb89babe1ae32689dd958171.jpg

Top Bottom