Nox Closed Until Spring

Robin

This was posted on the Nockamixon State Park FB page 12/5.

RIDENOX mountain bike trails at Nockamixon State Park are now closed for the season! With the threat of rain/snow, frost, and warmup trends, the tough decision was made in order to preserve and protect trails for future enjoyment. Take this time to tun up the bikes and enjoy the winter. See you in spring!

FB_IMG_1512736363259.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, that's a surprise. Thanks for the info but that kinda sucks.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
This was posted on the Nockamixon State Park FB page 12/5.

RIDENOX mountain bike trails at Nockamixon State Park are now closed for the season! With the threat of rain/snow, frost, and warmup trends, the tough decision was made in order to preserve and protect trails for future enjoyment. Take this time to tun up the bikes and enjoy the winter. See you in spring!

View attachment 60306

Yeah ... kinda ... I guarantee people will be out there if there is an extended freeze and it's fine in those conditions. There is so much paranoia about wrecking the trails there - by the way people lose their minds out there you'd think they were better than the overbuilt bermy pumptrack crap that it is. The truth is, they can't keep people out of it because the people putting up those signs don't own anything there. It's kind of like the folks working on those trails feel they've earned through sweat equity the right to tell other users when they can use "their" trails. I get that to an extent and, seriously, kudos to them for putting the work in, but almost everyone I know who rides there kind of rolls their eyes over this kind of trail-Nazi BS at this point. If it's frozen over, you're not going to do any damage there. But if you want to keep everyone happy, might be best to stay away. Besides, if you want to enjoy PA trails in the winter, drive a few miles further and hit Wiss or Green Lane - the riding in both those places is orders of magnitude better and there isn't a man-made artificial berm or log bridge every ten feet.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah ... kinda ... I guarantee people will be out there if there is an extended freeze and it's fine in those conditions. There is so much paranoia about wrecking the trails there - by the way people lose their minds out there you'd think they were better than the overbuilt bermy pumptrack crap that it is. The truth is, they can't keep people out of it because the people putting up those signs don't own anything there. It's kind of like the folks working on those trails feel they've earned through sweat equity the right to tell other users when they can use "their" trails. I get that to an extent and, seriously, kudos to them for putting the work in, but almost everyone I know who rides there kind of rolls their eyes over this kind of trail-Nazi BS at this point. If it's frozen over, you're not going to do any damage there. But if you want to keep everyone happy, might be best to stay away. Besides, if you want to enjoy PA trails in the winter, drive a few miles further and hit Wiss or Green Lane - the riding in both those places is orders of magnitude better and there isn't a man-made artificial berm or log bridge every ten feet.
what.gif

It is true, Wiss is only 45-60 min from there.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
It is true, Wiss is only 45-60 min from there.

Perhaps if you go to Nox first and then drive to Wiss, but that would be very "stupid" now, wouldn't it? You can access Philly via major highways, so while the mileage is longer, the time isn't substantially that much more for most folks. In fact, I'd argue that anyone living anywhere but western-central NJ would have an easier drive getting to Wiss than to Nox (NJ Turnpike to PA Turnpike to Fort Washington exit puts you less than 10 minutes from Wiss.) And if you live in western-central NJ, go to Green Lane. It's maybe 20-25 minutes further at the most out Route 563 (that's the highway that runs along the fall-line trail at Nox) to 29. I rode from Green Lane to Nox in under an hour and that was on local roads.

Top Bottom