Not so bad

KStwenty1

This place is fun for me since
It's local. The days I don't want to stray too far from home but still need my trail fix, this is it. It is my understanding that Rutgers took his place over and cleaned it up. Trails are quick, well marked and garbage free. There are trail markers everywhere and lots of trails for its small size. If you haven't been here in a while I recommend giving it another shot.

I Ride Bikes

I ride there somewhat often. Not recently tho. It is very well maintained. Pretty much a mini six mile. If you're close and you haven't been there you should at least check it out.

FitmanNJ

This place is fun for me since
It's local. The days I don't want to stray too far from home but still need my trail fix, this is it. It is my understanding that Rutgers took his place over and cleaned it up. Trails are quick, well marked and garbage free. There are trail markers everywhere and lots of trails for its small size. If you haven't been here in a while I recommend giving it another shot.

Do you happen to know where you can park in the area as a non-student/faculty person without getting a ticket? I've never been able to find somewhere to park "legally."

KStwenty1

It's summer so parking across from the trail heads would be IMO pretty safe. There is a stone lot at the yellow red trail head though.

AL.

Does more trail maintenance than you, without a he
I agree with I ride bikes.Anywhere else in the Rutgers lots they have parking enforcement.They do not patrol often but I wouldn't take the chance.

FitmanNJ

The best place to park to ride here is legal. Its part of Johnson park on river rd. Trail head is at the corner of Cedar Lane and River Rd.

http://app.strava.com/activities/301370239

The Strava link said, "...page does not exist...," but I checked Google Maps, too. I see the trailhead and think I see the parking lot that you're referring to on Violet Drive inside Johnson Park.

A few other postings online seem to say that some trail maintenance has been done in the last couple of years, with a new boardwalk, bridge, and general "sprucing-up." This is the second closest trail system for me (behind Chimney Rock), so I intend to revisit it (it's probably been 3 years since I've been there -- it was in pretty bad shape then). Thanks for shedding some new light on R.E.C.!

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
According to this brochure, parking is allowed on weekends in lot 101 on ave E and lots on road 1
ww.mappler.info/geo005info/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/brochure_2012.pdf

I Ride Bikes

Thanks for making that link work. There's really no reason to park anywhere else.

@FitmanNJ if you haven't been there in 3 years it will be much improved.

AL.

Students intern and take care of the place now.Also the Rutgers cycling team is sometimes back there working/riding.

Kangdoy

I went here today and liked it a lot. Some pretty nice downhill sections at the beginning on the blue trail if you start on Cedar Lane/River Road.

AL.

I rode today and pretty sure I saw your tire marks @Kangdoy .The blue trail is the best trail imo followed by yellow.

Kangdoy

Any guestimates on how much mileage is currently available at Rutgers Ecological Preserve?
I did 9.9 miles today, but that's mostly doubling the trails and doing some back tracking. There were a few smaller trails that veered off from the main trails.

Top Bottom