Noodles!!!

qclabrat

I love instant noodles, maybe its because my mom wouldn't let us eat it as kids or that I survived on it for months on end during college. To me, it's one of those comfort foods I can get almost anywhere and carry along as needed. Bring a hot water boiler and I'm all set. In general, I like the Korean varieties best, next is a toss up between Japanese and Hong Kong origins. China brands were very on my list at one time, but after the oil reclaiming scandal a few years back, I can't go there anymore. Anyway, here's my first entry and currently a top 3 for me. I'll rate each in 3 categories: Noodle texture, soup base, price.

noodle: 4 thick firm noodle though easy to overcook
soup: 3 simple mild flavor, wish they didn't use msg
price: 5 about 75 cents a pack

WP_20170105_12_10_59_Pro.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
1454D91649AF30F91B3D04

Karate Monkey

What's the best stuff to buy from the regular places (Shoprite, Wegmans, etc)? Ichiban is way better than Top Ramen, but I'm open to suggestions.

I miss living near an Asian market. Used to be able to buy fresh ramen, too...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is the oil reclaiming scandal? When my mom cooks the noodles, she always skims off the oil before adding the soap base.

jackx

What is the oil reclaiming scandal? When my mom cooks the noodles, she always skims off the oil before adding the soap base.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering too.

I heard about the melamine scandal, but not the oil reclaiming scandal.

qclabrat

Gutter oil... they used dirty crap oil when they fried the noodles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
it actually gets quite a bit worse. Illegal dumping of used cooking oil into the sewers is fairly common. A huge fine if caught, but in China everything is about making the quick buck despite the consequences. The nasty part is that people reclaim this sewage oil from the waste plants then resell them to food processing plants. You know that lard flavor packet included with some noodle packets? Could be sewage by products. Supply chain apparently made it out of China originally but after this was publicized not too many foreign companies worked with these suspicious suppliers. I never use those lard packets anymore for any brand.

qclabrat

What's the best stuff to buy from the regular places (Shoprite, Wegmans, etc)? Ichiban is way better than Top Ramen, but I'm open to suggestions.

some costcos have the nongshim noodle bowls.
unless you live in the pine barrens or Salem county there's gotta be a Asian food store by you. I'll get you a stash when I eventually get down to pick up those fenders....

my favorite supermarket ramen is Nissen
crap load of msg but when noodles not over cooked has a good texture

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

I actually like ichiban. You should try mixing in some leftovers... like steak or something. I usually throw in Kim chi, and whatever veggies I have.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
IMO, no comparison in the broth, original is just spicy with some seaweed flavors, only downside with black is price
Yeah, the blacks broth is beeefy and mellows it out a bit. I like the punchy spiciness of the original :)

qclabrat

I actually like ichiban. You should try mixing in some leftovers... like steak or something. I usually throw in Kim chi, and whatever veggies I have.
question is do you buy or make your own kimchi? From @Norm 's thread on 12 people, kimchi is one thing I'd like to learn to make. My favorite is the young radish with scallions and whole garlic.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
question is do you buy or make your own kimchi? From @Norm 's thread on 12 people, kimchi is one thing I'd like to learn to make. My favorite is the young radish with scallions and whole garlic.

Ok, I'm in for the cooking lesson.
Since nobody fries pasta, I got nothing to add. :)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Sometimes wife makes.
Sometimes we steal from mom.
Sometimes we buy from Hmart.
I prefer Hmart to be honest

Top Bottom