No more shorts?

carvegybe

Hi Everyone

So my wife and I moved to NJ from South Africa this year. I am used to MTBing in warm weather and got me a gym membership to keep (reasonably) fit through the winter. But now I am wondering what it would be like to get out and MTB in Dec-Feb. Is it worth it or is it as miserable as it looks?

Can I please ask for opinions as to what is the necessary gear for riding in the winter? Let's assume I do not ride unless it is in the 20s or higher. In particular:

1. How do you protect yourself from crossing rivers and the possibility of having to put your foot in ankle-deep water?
2. How many layers? Which products?
3. Any other tips

Thanks a lot!

Carvegybe

carvegybe

Thanks! Also, I see there is already a thread on this. Will read now. Apologies for redundant question. That said, I probably have less tolerance for cold than anyone else on this forum. A-F-R-I-C-A.....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!!! glad you found us.

Winter can be magical, or a muddy mess. You probably already know not to ride the mud, because most of our trails our shared
on public land, and we don't want to lose privilege.

after that, when it is frozen, it is good - when the right snow conditions exists, it is even better.

here are the hints -

lots of layers, and zippers
hydration pack goes inside the outer layer, blow water out of hose so it doesn't freeze in the nozzle
chemical hand warmers are magical
Winter riding boots - if you ride flats, get insulated hiking boots to serve two purposes, if you ride clipless, get something warm!
(lake 303 for me)
lip balm - just like the summer sun, the winter breeze will abuse your lips and cheeks.

it won't take long to acclimate - embrace it.

oh, get a humidifier for your bedroom. seriously.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so no real lions NOR buffalo to speak of in New Jersey. And rivers to cross.

So just ride naked. You'll be fine.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It's not the lions that are the problem. It's the buffalo....

ouch - ours are fenced off. the people that go in the fence to see the cute ones just standing there usually get an ambulance ride.

gotta wonder if they even knew they were agitating them.

Top Bottom