(No Longer) Offensive Strava Segment Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick81721

Lothar
I think if you hide a segment, it is hidden from everyone until you unhide it. I constantly find hidden segments that I've never hidden.

Looked at strava support - if you hide a segment, it remains hidden to you. Other segments become automatically hidden to everyone based on how often they are viewed, sort of a popularity rating.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Looked at strava support - if you hide a segment, it remains hidden to you. Other segments become automatically hidden to everyone based on how often they are viewed, sort of a popularity rating.

Soundz like a perfectly reasonable solution to me.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow just wow. It's one thing to disagree with someone but then to pro-actively go and change a name of a trail in a park that is used by the general community is unbelievable... and shows how much disrespect you have for others.

And I hate the argument that says: Oh it's not any different than what is already out there... kids get exposed to sex/violence when they are young all the time. It's not a reason, it's just a poor excuse for you guys to only think of yourselves.

@Dominique's post is spot on. I can picture my own kids in a few years, getting excited to upload GPS files from a ride, and having to explain this stuff.

@gtluke's response makes my blood boil. @gtluke is a complete embarrassment of the MTBNJ team, and the site as a whole. He's cowardly and juvenile.

rlb

I'm not taking aim at any particular person or post here, I'm just going to state my opinion(s) based on a few of the things that people have mentioned.

The argument that "X joke crosses my line and is thus deemed offensive" holds no weight. Either I accept humor and free speech or I don't. A joke that hits me close to home is simply one person's attempt at a joke, and unless it's a direct personal attack on me I don't have the right to claim offense because guess what, I've laughed at dick and fart jokes all of my life (I challenge you to find someone who hasn't at least once). I understand that a joke has the potential to hit a sore spot within me, but I brush it off because it crosses my life path for mere seconds (and is entirely inconsequential). If I was unable to do that I'd have to take a closer look at whatever is raging inside of me.

The "time and place" argument is somewhat valid, but in the end this is something you can tune away from. I doubt the creator of that segment thought ahead to the potential audience, but even if they did is there any less chance that you, your children, or your grandparents might hear the phrase "gang bang" the next time they walk down a sidewalk?

gtluke

The Moped
@Dominique's post is spot on. I can picture my own kids in a few years, getting excited to upload GPS files from a ride, and having to explain this stuff.

@gtluke's response makes my blood boil. @gtluke is a complete embarrassment of the MTBNJ team, and the site as a whole. He's cowardly and juvenile.

Juvenile? yes. Cowardly? no.
The issue here is misappropriating the word bang with rape. And then yanking it into a women's issue to rally the troops.
The term has nothing to do with gender, and nothing to do with rape.

Even if it was a rape joke, isolating these words only makes them stronger. I'm siding with Patrice and Tosh on this one. We use SO many terms in our standard acceptable vernacular that were once horribly racist/sexist or otherwise insulting. But now they carry NO meaning at all because they got used so often and for so long. The more restrictions you put on certain words, the more heinous they become. And suddenly linking bang with rape is unnecessarily adding more of these forbidden terms.

I even side with Lucia that sex terms don't belong on Strava. I just disagree with turning it into a gender war unnecessarily.
I appreciate a heated discussion. I like having my mind changed. But I prefer to discuss without name calling.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am going to put this in really simple terms as it pertains to my perspective.

I have met with, or spoken with, the following people in the last, say, 2 months or less:

* state & county park reps
* the rec committee leader in the town I live in
* another town official whose title I do not know
* countless race promoters
* at least 1 father of a junior who is getting involved in the race scene and will likely be part of the NICA NJ movement.
* oh yeah the BSA too

Ok here are the things I am involved with:

* Promoting 6 races a year
* I am now the JORBA lead at RV
* We also have the OK to do work in Cushetunk which is a separate park commission
* I am trying to get on the parks committee in town and we have thrown out the idea of a kids race in town as well as building more trails in town
* the BSA, obviously we are connected there
* so I'm a dad & step-dad too, not unimportant

Let me ask 1 really simple question. When 1 of those people above asks me why our team condones sexual violence towards women, what am I supposed to say? You're not allowed to use "dick & fart jokes" in your reply. I can tell you what the answer is. There is no acceptable answer. So when I'm using my personal time trying to build trails, promote races, gets kids races in town, get involved in the local committees so I can get more trails built, I see this stuff and I ask myself why I bother.

You know, I can't control the people I don't know. Christ, I can't control the people I do know. But I would expect some modicum of respect from the people who wear the team colors. I also expect the same respect for the people who I ride with regularly and participate on the site regularly. Because for every one of you who posts that it's ok to joke about potential rape, that is one more needle to throw in the haystack of public opinion.

And I freely admit that these are needles in the haystacks of life. The chances that most of those people see this thread are pretty slim. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that at least 2 people on the list above have seen the board and thus potentially seen this thread. So if you throw enough needles in that haystack, eventually one might poke you. You really never know when someone is watching. And when I have to represent the team (and the site by extension) to these people or committees, I need to actually be prepared to answer that question.

Just something to keep in mind for everyone who posts on the subject.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not taking aim at any particular person or post here, I'm just going to state my opinion(s) based on a few of the things that people have mentioned.

The argument that "X joke crosses my line and is thus deemed offensive" holds no weight. Either I accept humor and free speech or I don't. A joke that hits me close to home is simply one person's attempt at a joke, and unless it's a direct personal attack on me I don't have the right to claim offense because guess what, I've laughed at dick and fart jokes all of my life (I challenge you to find someone who hasn't at least once). I understand that a joke has the potential to hit a sore spot within me, but I brush it off because it crosses my life path for mere seconds (and is entirely inconsequential). If I was unable to do that I'd have to take a closer look at whatever is raging inside of me.

The "time and place" argument is somewhat valid, but in the end this is something you can tune away from. I doubt the creator of that segment thought ahead to the potential audience, but even if they did is there any less chance that you, your children, or your grandparents might hear the phrase "gang bang" the next time they walk down a sidewalk?

My opinion: I don't think it's so cut and dry like that. At some point something someone says "as a joke" (or in name of art) may cross even your line. What you may feel is a personal attack to you may not be what the other person intended. So who is going to be the arbiter of if you were personally attacked or not? Yourself or the person who made the attack/joke or a 3rd party person?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/201...-supreme-court-online-facebook-anthony-elonis

Last edited:

AL.

Does more trail maintenance than you, without a he
Wow shark week @Dominos ? @gtluke is a good dude...I dont care what you have to say about him.The guy sits in the woods sweating his balls off so you can share your picture on facebook.Always really friendly and seems like a good man to have represent mtbnj as part of the team.And why are women being more offended by gangbang?? Again it is not directed at you.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
RE: "shark week"... Please don't use menstruation as an excuse to dismiss a woman's anger as being "that time of the month." If you're going to debate, please use actual arguments and not period jokes. You're not donald trump.

RE: Luke... I like Luke... even tho he has a tendency to royally piss me off (and sometimes steals my birthday dinner celebration), I do like him. I do agree everyone is entitled to their opinions... BUT i think he majorly crossed the line when he went and changed the name of the actual trail on the map to "GangBang".

gtluke

The Moped
RE: "shark week"... Please don't use menstruation as an excuse to dismiss a woman's anger as being "that time of the month." If you're going to debate, please use actual arguments and not period jokes. You're not donald trump.

RE: Luke... I like Luke... even tho he has a tendency to royally piss me off (and sometimes steals my birthday dinner celebration), I do like him. I do agree everyone is entitled to their opinions... BUT i think he majorly crossed the line when he went and changed the name of the actual trail on the map to "GangBang".
I agree. I did cross the line. I did it as a goof and it was less than an hour. It wasn't an attack, and if taken so I apologize.

Post lock edit.
The joke (goof) was on the glaring hole in strava's setup, not on anyone here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions