No bear hunt

Mtbdog

I read where it looks like Gov. Murphy has signed exec. order halting hunts in state parks. Plus one, now if he can do the same for county parks, we'd be making real progress. Hope this is a step in the right direction.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I read where it looks like Gov. Murphy has signed exec. order halting hunts in state parks. Plus one, now if he can do the same for county parks, we'd be making real progress. Hope this is a step in the right direction.
Do you live in bear country?
This is terrible news and once again another failure from this carpetbagger.

yanmar

Was this decision based on facts about the population of the bears or was it to appease the tree huggers ? I ask because I don't know and I know that the Sierra club has a ton of money and contribute to politicians that will see their way .

Mtbdog

the gist I get from what I read is they are looking towards non-lethal pop. control. And most importantly (ha ha) keep a campaign promise. I don't care either way, bears don't bother me, take precautions when they are around. I get a little more aware when riding during hunting season,but that's just me.

68nova200

A truly terrible decision. there are so many bears near me that they are short on food and beginning to look emaciated. the governor needs to start looking at the facts and how effective hunting is at population control. Hunters have the utmost respect for these animals and it is not a trophy hunt that people make it out to be. and besides Bear meat is some of the best tasting meat there is. Do some research and you will see what a healthy bear population is supposed to be and Nj is over populated by huge numbers.

Mtbdog

It's not a full moratorium,(he'll never get that and nobody wants that). I would just like to see parks hunt free to ride. If you look at #'s the hunt works. If it is just state,county parks is it that much. If it is wma's , water co. private, non-profits then it will never work well enough to justify no hunt. He can't shut it down completely doesn't have the power. I was thinking it would be good for bikers if the parks were hunt free.

Karate Monkey

I was thinking it would be good for bikers if the parks were hunt free.

I'm perfectly happy to share my open space with others who want to use it, even hunters. You/we get the state parks 90% (or more) of the year...I can live without one week/go somewhere else--since the hunts are organized by state gov., it's rare that two places adjacent to each other are closed at the same time. I'm sure there are hunters who also feel that hikers/cyclists shouldn't be allowed in WMAs during the small window we have.

As much as I don't personally like the idea of hunting/killing my food (hell, I don't even sport fish anymore), I do realize the benefits of people who do: mainly maintaining healthy populations of animals (see: deer, black bear)...being able to buy game meat is a bonus. Predators that have a well balanced population aren't [theoretically] going to be gallivanting around the neighborhood, and prey animals, well...count how many deer you see dead on the side of the parkway on a 50 mile trip during deer season; there are a pile of them in my tiny little town even when you don't consider the parkway.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
First off, Gov. Dracula is an asshole. For those of you who think this is some type of win after the Fat Man, congratulations, we have another rich, old, white guy from Goldman Sachs who is long out of touch with reality, and thinks he knows whats best for us. He already broke a bunch of promises (like legal weed btw), but keeps the "easy" ones.

Anywho, while I would not kill a bear unless it was me or him, the hunt is necessary to keep the population healthy. The population needs to be reduced 22-25% a year to remain healthy, and this is coming straight from the state bear biologist, who I actually once spoke with. For those who think you shouldn't hunt in our parks, get over yourselves. Like your the only one in the world, and our parks are your personal playground. Everyone pays for those parks, not just you.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm perfectly happy to share my open space with others who want to use it, even hunters. You/we get the state parks 90% (or more) of the year.
Your open space benefits by and purchased mainly from the fine folks who purchase an annual liscense. Now if the state decided to to go for pay to play like them, then we all would have a reason to gripe. Not that your griping but I think most dont understand that point.

qclabrat

Without looking I'm sure more people die from hunters than bears annually. I just don't want to get shot riding around. Tried to avoid wearing brown but now will consider eliminating black from my wardrobe. Blue and orange probably the most unnatural colors to exist in nature so don't rag me for wearing your team colors....

RobW

this is a dumb move. the population is going to increase,i guess they can just migrate to keansburg.

rick81721

Lothar
Without looking I'm sure more people die from hunters than bears annually. I just don't want to get shot riding around. Tried to avoid wearing brown but now will consider eliminating black from my wardrobe. Blue and orange probably the most unnatural colors to exist in nature so don't rag me for wearing your team colors....

Should always wear orange when riding in areas with active hunting. I have a ridiculous looking but super-bright orange mtb helmet that I always wear in such times

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Should always wear orange when riding in areas with active hunting. I have a ridiculous looking but super-bright orange mtb helmet that I always wear in such times

You should always exercise common sense when going into the woods during hunting season, but come on, how many bikers have been shot in NJ during hunting season, or ever? Most hunters that hunt in parks know that they’re in a multi-use, and usually don’t build their stands where we ride. They’re also not all the dumb rednecks that they’re made out to be, and most have no desire to commit manslaughter or murder, and do have common sense. The local county parks by me also put up big signs to let everyone when hunting is going down. I’d say NJ handles this whole thing pretty responsibly.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should always exercise common sense when going into the woods during hunting season, but come on, how many bikers have been shot in NJ during hunting season, or ever? Most hunters that hunt in parks know that they’re in a multi-use, and usually don’t build their stands where we ride. They’re also not all the dumb rednecks that they’re made out to be, and most have no desire to commit manslaughter or murder, and do have common sense. The local county parks by me also put up big signs to let everyone when hunting is going down. I’d say NJ handles this whole thing pretty responsibly.

they DONT WANT to setup stands where we ride either, we scare away too many good targets . . .

68nova200

It is easily 90% of the hunting area available... when they say those numbers they are including all of the private properties... for example. someone like me who owns half an acre is included. No hunting possible on land that small.

Top Bottom