NJ Mountain Bike Festival 2018 Edition

It was nice to meet some of you, unfortunately 3 punctures on the first ride after 15 years off the bike tested my resolute in a major way, then I had to walk home...shopping for a serious repair kit right now since carrying two spare tubes doesn’t seem to cut it!
Rotten luck! I think it’s time for tubeless and a dynaplug.

Nothing to be sorry about, I'm a sucker for a quick jocke myself! And yes I was (well not really because I did have a punctured tube so technically...)!

RW can be a tough place to ride i run downhill tires for that exact reason haven't had an issue the since but not the greatest on smooth trails but i deal

Man, what a killer turnout this year! Awesome weather, awesome trails, awesome pizza, awesome time! This event is great for catching up with people you haven't seen in a really long time. Thanks Jorba for another fantastic festival, and thanks REI for the free coffee!

Great event again. Did an awesome ride led by the venerable Art White and Bill. Went over the edge into a jumble of big rocks and broke my ass and my Garmin, but still had fun. Topped off with some great pizza.

MTBFest18_1.jpg

MTBFest18_2.jpg

MTBFest18_3.jpg

MTBFest18_4.jpg

Great event today, awesome ride schedule and food, lots of demos. Only criticism is the demo protocol and loop. There is no way your testing any of those bikes on a loop that’s 3/4 fireroad, 1/4 single track. And the single track was a traffic jam. They need to allow more time on those bikes, it’s in their best interest to do so. There were plenty of bikes to go around today, so everyone would have still had a turn.

RW can be a tough place to ride i run downhill tires for that exact reason haven't had an issue the since but not the greatest on smooth trails but i deal
Not sure what happened, the first flat manifested itself right in front of the MTBNJ.com tent, I think I was talking to JClark and JManic when I realized I had a flat. I should have been less shy and ask the guys at Giant or Sant Cruz to inflate my tubeless with their compressor or pump. I installed a tube instead and by the time a was on the way for my second lap (after the best pizza I had in a very long time) it was flat again. Changed it to head back home...bam. another flat. Both tubes were cracked at the valve, not a puncture. The valve hole is smooth as it can be, no rough edges nor metal shavings...doesn't matter, I'm just pumped up for finally making back on the saddle! Thanks JORBA for organizing and giving guys like me the motivation to go back riding the trails!

It was nice to meet some of you, unfortunately 3 punctures on the first ride after 15 years off the bike tested my resolute in a major way, then I had to walk home...shopping for a serious repair kit right now since carrying two spare tubes doesn’t seem to cut it!
That stinks...I notice the rocks wanted to not only kill you at every single moment, but loved to try and give you a pinch flat..Very tough terrain..I had a blast!! I did the Regular Guy Group ride..

Agreed with all, great time was had by the OOS crew. We went out at 8:30 sharp and the loop was good, only needed some fast downhills which wasn't throw mud at me. Second loop which took a while to get bikes was really bottlenecked with riders. Third and fourth, just went elsewhere with my own bike. Ringwood is an incredible venue. Too bad it's more the 35 mins from home.
IMG_20180930_120310.jpg

Agreed with all, great time was had by the OOS crew. We went out at 8:30 sharp and the loop was good, only needed some fast downhills which wasn't throw mud at me. Second loop which took a while to get bikes was really bottlenecked with riders. Third and fourth, just went elsewhere with my own bike. Ringwood is an incredible venue. Too bad it's more the 35 mins from home.
View attachment 77911
35 minutes from home is not bad at all. Just saying...

Man oh man!
Another great day out there-
Perfect weather, lots of the great peeps, many demos and pizza!
Thanks to all the volunteers that make the fun happen. Love it!

And as always, great to see many friends, meet new ones and put faces to the screen names.

And @Bleeder please post an estimate on the headcount when you have it- that was a big group today!

That stinks...I notice the rocks wanted to not only kill you at every single moment, but loved to try and give you a pinch flat..Very tough terrain..I had a blast!! I did the Regular Guy Group ride..

The terrain in Ringwood is unrelenting, if you’ve never been here before, you’re just scratching your surface. You also need to not believe the hype they try to sell you about running your 2.5-2.6 tires at 20psi and air those bad boys up, or run DD or DH sidewalls. The stuff around Shepard Lake is as easy as it gets there. Go deeper into the park and you will be rewarded with pain, and enlightenment through suffering, and emerge a better rider.

Back
Top Bottom