NICA race

viper8315

Course setup on the 1st. Might sign up for something on the 2nd as well as the time nears

Yea, I know that's full, but I might just show up anyway if I have time. I figure the more people that help, the quicker the job gets done.

viper8315

Yup...should be a fun day. I signed up for sweeper or roving marshal, wherever you guys need the help is fine with me. I'll bring my Gopros as well if anyone wants to make a video I can provide some footage.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you sign up your kid if they are not on a composite team? Dumb question I know but as far as I know there is not one available in my town.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Can you sign up your kid if they are not on a composite team? Dumb question I know but as far as I know there is not one available in my town.

Yes, independent riders are absolutely allowed. Dillon Van Wart is coaching the Highlands Comp team, based out of West Milford. That is probably the closest to you if you decided to go the team route. Still plenty of time to sign up either way.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You can always race independent, but I think you pay a lot more to race.

The first year there will be many independents, but once this blows up there won't be many.

In many of the western states, there are 500-1000 kids at these events. Whole families camp out from fri to sun every weekend.

Ben told me that there is a kid on tHe Princeton team who lives in Woodbridge. Many kids are on teams that are not close by, but they really want to be apart of a team.

I sat through the meeting but I can't remember all the details. I think independents can't do the whole series nor can they accumulate points.

Thi whole thing is super amazing to watch. I am so jealous as this would have been amazing when I was a kid.

If you a kid who is eleigable to race or will be soon, try and get them to the first race to watch. It's going to be super cool.

I'm sure a Coach will chime in here..

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You can always race independent, but I think you pay a lot more to race.

Is this true? Because it'd be stupid to penalize a kid with no team around. Unless you have to pay fees to be on one of the teams?

And we'll help with course set-up, just post the day.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Is this true? Because it'd be stupid to penalize a kid with no team around. Unless you have to pay fees to be on one of the teams?

And we'll help with course set-up, just post the day.

I think this is the case. Ken will chime in at some point as he knows the rules better.

In any case, after seeing these kids practice and hang out together, I'd say it would be a loss not to be on a team if it is possible.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I will need some help with the 6mr course prep as I'm still on crutches. I'll post up a day soon.

will be out there this week sometime. I'm back in NJ.

How are we doing with the temporary bridges? @WJF mentioned the material is staged...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
All I see is a League Reg Fee and the per Race Fee, seems like it's the same for everyone. Basically comes out to $46 per race. I can see that being a huge value if you include practices, off-bike events, and day-of support from the Coaches. So it's not more to race Independent, you just get less. Unless you have a Cat1 dad and he's your personal Coach and Team Mechanic, then you'll have more time to ride and be a kid instead of driving hours on end to go to Team Events. I can see the advantages of each side of this.

ekuhn

I will need some help with the 6mr course prep as I'm still on crutches. I'll post up a day soon.

I was poking around the NICA race website the other day and the volunteer sign ups were only up for mercer. 6MR wasn't linked yet.

I'm in to help so keep us updated.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Course setup on the 1st. Might sign up for something on the 2nd as well as the time nears

This is my setup as well. If there is still a need for volunteers on race day as we get closer, I'll fill in.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
There is no additional fee to race independent. if a student's school fields a team though, that student is not permitted to race indy. Indy racers must also pick a jersey and stick with it through the season.

Middle School students pay $10 less per race than high school, and everyone pays the same league fee. There is a $10 day-of fee as well.

It is important to note that our league offers scholarships, and also has bicycles available for students without. Kids can join a team and not race. Its all about inclusivity and getting #morekidsonbikes.

If you have a middle/high school aged child, please let them know that this league exists. When you see the setup we throw down at the races you will be blown away, it looks like a pro race. 5 deep in all categories, and people cheer as loud for #1 as they do for #last. We are building a community, please consider coming out to volunteer at a race or 5 this year, whether you have kids or not. You will walk away feeling better about mountain biking than you have in quite some time.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions