New York State

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to be driving up to Cooperstown, NY for the weekend on Friday morning. I'm looking for some trails to hit on the way there and also on the way back on Sunday. It looks like there are some trails by SUNY Oneonta about 20 minutes away, but I'll probably hit those Saturday morning. Google Maps says there are like three different ways to get there from Parsippany, so I have to imagine I'll be able to hit something good without going too far out of my way. Any ideas? Strava/Garmin links would be awesome too, thanks!

So today I hit up Elm Ridge on the way to Cooperstown, NY. It's in Windham, like two miles down the road from the ski mountain. The trails were incredibly well marked, and there were maps at major trail intersections. I was following a random Strava ride I found, but you would be fine with just a map with a route drawn on it. The trails were super flow with virtually no rocks and just the occasional roots. I generally prefer really rocky and technical trails, but this was a great change of pace from what I've been riding lately. I did a pretty solid loop of the place, but there were lots of other connector trails I didn't hit.

These trails must be machine built, and they reminded me a lot of Raystown. The climbing was very gradual to the point that you didn't really notice it at all. The trail I took heading back down to the road (North Face) was just about the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I rode back up to hit it again even though I didn't really have time. North Face also had some optional large rock drops on it that I was too afraid to hit on my own two hours from home.

I'm planning to hit some local trails by SUNY Oneonta tomorrow and will likely go to go to Round Top on the way home on Sunday. Round Top is just a few minutes from Elm Ridge where I was today. I see they did an enduro there the past few years, so I'm expecting some rocks/tech.

https://www.strava.com/activities/400060452

the trails around oneonta are pretty fun. You park at the oneonta Job corps (there's directions online) and head up the hill. make sure you hit black coffee and RIP. The area labeled "The Back Side" or something has some new stuff they're building. Be sure to ride to the top of table rocks for the view (you'll know when you're there). a lot of the trails around oneonta are on hartwick property so they're not on the map. there are signs saying you need a day pass. i've never needed one or bought one. check the strava files in the area or ask around at the local bike shop in oneonta for the pro on where to go.

the trails around oneonta are pretty fun. You park at the oneonta Job corps (there's directions online) and head up the hill. make sure you hit black coffee and RIP. The area labeled "The Back Side" or something has some new stuff they're building. Be sure to ride to the top of table rocks for the view (you'll know when you're there). a lot of the trails around oneonta are on hartwick property so they're not on the map. there are signs saying you need a day pass. i've never needed one or bought one. check the strava files in the area or ask around at the local bike shop in oneonta for the pro on where to go.

Cool, thanks. I've got a random strava file to follow that looks like it hits a bunch of different trails. I'll do some more research based on your post tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom