New to the SS world. My Brainstorming old bmx + old mtb = SS?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I recently purchased a Jamis Komodo that I love to ride in the trails. I now want to now build a little urban single speed that i can flick around in the city areas. I have an old Huffy BMX bike and some random Kmart Mountain bike in my garage. I want to (if I can) put these two together, with a new frame, to make a cheap fun bike to play around with.

Here is what I'd like to have to buy new on the bike:
- Frame similar to my Komodo. Really have my eyes set on Soul Cycles Titan for $69 dollars. Any others?
- 24 inch wheels/rims, something for pavement.
- quick release for front wheel (stupid racks :p)
- Fork. Might go with full rigid, not sure. Any insight?

With my knowledge things I could recycle off the old bmx/mtb:
- Seat,front brake and handlebars from MTB
- chain setup from bmx bike

My Questions to You:
1) How much am I looking to spend total? I am trying to build this bike on a super tight budget and able to enjoy it instead of saving up to build it.
2) I have a old BMX bike and older mountain bike laying around my garage. Can i combine these two bikes pieces in order to make a super cheap single speed free ride bike?
3) What info do i need from the bikes in the garage in order to see if it would work on my new frame I buy?

Thanks in advance ;)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
something along the lines of this:
hr2006062607.jpg

but A LOT cheaper, don't need those big name parts ;)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alot of the parts might not be compatible with any decent new frame unfortunately. the sizing and standards have changed alot, as regards threads and their mates. you might be better off getting a closeout or used street mtb.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
actually, if you get that frame, the mtbnj colective might be able to lose a few spares from our parts bin relatively cheaply.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I mean i don't mind spending SOME money, but I don't wanna make this a 300 dollar bike. Just a bike to learn on throw around the mean streets of New Brunswick ;)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i will give you my hardrock SS with everything for $250. all it need is a seat post and chain tensioner.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
he wont even use tools. he'll just rip it apart with his bare hands. he is a former collegiate lacross player and powerlifter you know. ;)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
hahaha i wish these parts worked! id have something to do with my spare time lol

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats a deal, but id rather build it =\

it's pretty much apart. if you're seriously interested PM me.

for what originally bought it for, which was a trail SS it wasn't so great. but for what you want it for (and what i was considering keeping it for) which is an urban/DJ bike, it's perfect.

Top Bottom