New SRAM AXS released yesterday! Thoughts?

The radios are activated by vibration. So if going cross country with the bike in the rack, pull the batteries from the derailleurs.

I destroy way too many DRs to even consider this. Is it awesome? Yes. Will I break it and be out of a bike before I can replace it? Also yes.

Is it the terrain that makes people go thru derailleurs like that? Mindfield of twigs, branches, and barb wire on the ground??

Is it the terrain that makes people go thru derailleurs like that? Mindfield of twigs, branches, and barb wire on the ground??
One missed line in a rock garden can toast a derailleur real quick. This is why most downhillers run short cage. I’m told the eagle RD is significantly longer than an 11spd... so I don’t see how it stands a chance in some of the north jersey gardens.

This won't work for some of your longer rides. Battery life is *only* 20 hours.

think is been said, but carry an extra, they are small, problem solved

One missed line in a rock garden can toast a derailleur real quick. This is why most downhillers run short cage. I’m told the eagle RD is significantly longer than an 11spd... so I don’t see how it stands a chance in some of the north jersey gardens.

idk iv only lost one in the last year and (almost) a half, and i have no clue how, it was on a benign climb at stephens in july, no excess of sticks no nothing, i think it was a casting defect, but no warranty for it. . . meh, no issues so far with bushwacking (as we call it at work) or rock gardens

I am not sure what the deal with Sram MTB rear derailleurs are but I bent the NX on my 5010 within a few rides. OK, getting used to bike...get GX and eventually bent that. And GX is 40% more that an XT? Also snapped 2 red derailleurs. Doesn't give much faith in buying an $800 derailleur.

SRAM is sexy AF, the upshifts on XX are what shifting dreams are made of, but the durability took me back to plain jane shimano. I understand why shops hate shimano but had to spend more $$ on SRAM for it to break more often.
you bent the derailure or the hanger? the hanger is meant to bend first

you bent the derailure or the hanger? the hanger is meant to bend first
Derailleur. SRAM’s parallelogram design sticks out pretty far compare to shimanos shadow design. Very easy to hit on stuff. Doesn’t take much to get it out of wack.

Derailleur. SRAM’s parallelogram design sticks out pretty far compare to shimanos shadow design. Very easy to hit on stuff. Doesn’t take much to get it out of wack.

I have never ridden SRAM but this seems to be a common sentiment and it has kept me from "upgrading" to Eagle. A couple years ago, my second MTB ride of all time ended in a walk of shame after I snapped my derailleur hanger (entry level GT with really low end shimano groupo). I'm a couple bikes removed from that GT but I am still pretty sensitive to vulnerable derailleurs. I am currently running an e*thirteen TRS cassette with XTR shifter and RD and it's great. I am probably a minority in liking that setup but the range is good and performance has been flawless. Losing the cable is really appealing, though....

This new wireless system will take a hit,(within reason) release the clutch,move out of alignment and pop back to where it was with no cable adjustments needed. My biggest gripe with my current set up is finding that sweet spot of adjustment so all the shifts are smooth. I always seem to wind up with that one gear that wants to hang up.. Allegedly the new AXS system won't need those adjustments..

Back
Top Bottom